• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit County plans to close roads to snowmobile use

F

fitler

May 14, 2009
It never ends. I grew up in summit. It used to be a really fun place. You now can't even get your tires dirty in the summer anymore. Totally ridiculous.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
If u want to stop this crap join clubs and ACSA to protect your riding area's.

skicopper

Premium Member
Apr 10, 2014
"Stiegelmeier later said snowmobile drivers have used Baldy and Boreas Pass to access public lands closed to motorized use"

Yeah and D-bags also use interstates to access public lands that are closed to motorized use but you're not gonna close I-70. That is a ridiculous argument. Skiers go places that they're not supposed to but the FS isn't out there closing land because of it. These ski-sympathizers need to get a life, there are millions of acres for skiers to use. They already got all of the "summit huts" that the FS owns designated for ski use only. The FS takes and takes and takes, never adds. Especially when they have yet to produce ONE study showing that snowmobiling is more harmful to land than skiing.

I am a skier too but if I ever wanted to go somewhere where I didn't want to hear snowmobiles, I would just avoid the three places in the state of f****** colorado where snowmobiles are allowed to go.

Pot is ruining this state, too many hippies.

C
Dec 24, 2014
"Stiegelmeier later said snowmobile drivers have used Baldy and Boreas Pass to access public lands closed to motorized use"

So the closed land is causing a problem? Closing more land is supposed to be the solution? Why is it closed to over snow use in the first place is the direction this should be going...

Yeah and D-bags also use interstates to access public lands that are closed to motorized use but you're not gonna close I-70. That is a ridiculous argument. Skiers go places that they're not supposed to but the FS isn't out there closing land because of it. These ski-sympathizers need to get a life, there are millions of acres for skiers to use. They already got all of the "summit huts" that the FS owns designated for ski use only. The FS takes and takes and takes, never adds. Especially when they have yet to produce ONE study showing that snowmobiling is more harmful to land than skiing.

All true but the fight doesn't run on the truth, it runs on emotions and lots and lots of lies...

I am a skier too but if I ever wanted to go somewhere where I didn't want to hear snowmobiles, I would just avoid the three places in the state of f****** colorado where snowmobiles are allowed to go.

Pot is ruining this state, too many hippies.

The pot has always been here as have the hippies that are actually the problem. It is the real hippies in their sixties and seventies now. They are wealthy, retired and think they know best. They contribute millions collectively and do an end run on us using our own tax dollars to pay themselves (lawyers) to steal land.

It is a pretty freaking sick merry go round. I burned out on that fight years ago.

The younger "hippies" aren't so anti motor most of the time. They grew up boarding not skiing and like having a sled to access the high country. Those folks are not usually the problem even though they smoke a lot of pot.

Just know who you are fighting and that CSA is a compromise waiting to happen. We never gain, always a net loss and status quo if they get really lucky.

C
Dec 24, 2014
"They" voted alright. The county commissioners, which in that area are most certainly wacko libtards. Just more closures that somehow are supposed to improve everyone's recreational experience. Massive fail on that front.

skicopper

Premium Member
Apr 10, 2014
I sent an email to Karen Stiegelmeier on Nov 19 voicing my disagreement with her vote to close land. Dec 6 I had still not gotten a response. I sent her another email advising her that I own a fairly expensive piece of property in summit co (which I do) and I wished to have a response. The next day this is what I got:

Hello Andrew,
I’m not sure why I didn’t get your previous email.

My comment about consistency is simply that. We have a checkerboard of land ownership on Summit County’s National Forest lands due to our mining history. These areas were already closed to winter motorized use by the Town of Breckenridge and the US Forest Service. Our closures are consistent with those already in place. It doesn’t change what was already going on. The exception is that private land owners – mostly old mining claims surrounded by National Forest and Town of Breckenridge and Summit County Open Space, can use motorized access to get to their properties in the winter. These roads are not places a recreational snowmobile would want to use due to the short distance and very heavy use by skiers, snowshoers, walkers, kids pulled in sleds, etc.

There is nothing new or unusual about winter closures. There are numerous roads open to vehicles in the summer months and closed in the winter months.

So in review, they are going to continue to close more and more land under the excuse that snowmobilers don't want to go there anyways.

Premium Features