• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

starting problems

P
Jan 3, 2009
Just purchased an 03 Polaris Touring. I went to give it a start yesterday and the battery was dead. I was able to jumpstart it ,however it runs for about 3 minutes then shuts off. The fuel gauge is above 1/4 and the fuel switch is on. I let it sit overnight and it fired up however poured out white smoke and the same thing happend. It ran about 2 minutes then stalled out. I wouldnt think its a battery issue. Any thoughts on what the issue may be? I ran fine when I bought it a few weeks ago.

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
First thing that came to mind is to check and see it the choke is stuck on. That will flood the motor and kill it. when you restart it, it will be full of full and smoke. Seems to fit.

P
Jan 3, 2009
I changed the plugs and still nothing. It acts like it wants to start. I have the choke closed. Just dont understand why all of a sudden its acting up. Is the fuel filter clogged? Is that easy to take care of myself? I guess I will take it in if I cant figure it out.

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
...I let it sit overnight and it fired up however poured out white smoke and the same thing happend. It ran about 2 minutes then stalled out.

Thick white smoke could indicate that coolant is getting into one of the cylinders. Does the white smoke have kind of a weird sweet smell to it? Do you have a gauge to check the compression?

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
what did the plugs look like that you took out..look at the new ones. If you just bought it , it may have had fogging oil in the cylinders..if too much was used it will put out quite a bit of smoke. It may be fouling the plugs as it trys to burn off the oil...of course these are only a few things that may be the culprit. I think you said you just purchased it???? Start with new fresh fuel.

As far as sweet smelling of the smoke...take that thought carefully as many oils have sweet additives added to them...Klotz does and Polaris does as well.

Also...you need to check the voltage with a meter of the charging circut going to the motor. If you are not getting charge output to the batter assuming the batt. ios good. you will die fairly fast.

Did you test it before you bought it??

good luck!

Last edited:
P
Jan 3, 2009
Well the plugs are fine. They appear to be brand new. Im going to start from scratch and drain the fuel and replace the fuel filter(s).

Can someone give me advice on how to adjust the choke? It almost seems like its flooded and the choke is stuck open.

Are there two fuel filters? or one?

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
Does it have a drain plug at the bottom of the crank case? If so, I would pull the drain plug(s) and see if anything comes out. I would also do a compression test so you'll know where you are with that.

P
Jan 3, 2009
ok its been sitting for a few days and this morning i got it too start. I went through the full choke until it turned over and then it started on half choke. Its still spitting quite a bit of white smoke and also it looks like it blew some oil out the exhaust. Currently it is setup to run at 8000-9000 ft. I am in the Desert at abouyt 3200 ft. Could this be the problem? Is it just not running perfect because I am at such a low elevation? The white smoke does not smell like coolant. I am concerned about the oil that blew out the exhaust when it intially fired up.

Premium Features