• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 no start

N
Hey guys need some help, just replaced a fuel pump on my 09 M8 with a qfs pump and regulator, jumped the original fuel pump with a 9v battery it started first pull and ram for quite some time than went to start it again and it died off right away. Replaced the pump today with said QFS pump, started first pull check engine light came on, sputtered then bogged off and now won’t start, is this a common problem with the QFS pumps before I go chasing wiring??? My theory is that if the pump was jumped initially and ran for about 15 minutes than wouldn’t start after the fact that the pump would need to be replaced, so after doing so now that it wouldn’t start it might be a faulty pump is that a fair assumption????

TurboSportTSi

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2022
Lewistown, MT
I can't say how low of voltage the fuel pump would run at reliably, but I wouldn't consider a 9V battery to be a conclusive test, especially if it's not brand new. Some kind of nominal 12V power source would give more reliable results and confirm your original pump to be good or bad.

Can't help you on the pump being a common problem or not, but I would suggest verifying that you're getting solid power to the pump connector first. If not, verify that you have power to & from the fuel pump relay before chasing wiring issues. This will help to isolate the issue and best case scenario, the relay is kaput. Had a similar issue on an '08 Rev. Easy fix.

If power to the pump is good, you can flow test it. Between those two, you'll be able to rule the pump out or confirm it's bad.

N
I can't say how low of voltage the fuel pump would run at reliably, but I wouldn't consider a 9V battery to be a conclusive test, especially if it's not brand new. Some kind of nominal 12V power source would give more reliable results and confirm your original pump to be good or bad.

Can't help you on the pump being a common problem or not, but I would suggest verifying that you're getting solid power to the pump connector first. If not, verify that you have power to & from the fuel pump relay before chasing wiring issues. This will help to isolate the issue and best case scenario, the relay is kaput. Had a similar issue on an '08 Rev. Easy fix.

If power to the pump is good, you can flow test it. Between those two, you'll be able to rule the pump out or confirm it's bad.
Already replaced the old fuel pump the 9V battery originally jumped it to get the sled started but it wouldn’t start found a pinched wire at my kill switch tried disconnecting the kill switch and pulled it over a couple times before my pull cord knot came loose it was wanting to fire think it might be that pinched wire after all, gonna re tie the knot and try with the kill switch disconnected than reconnect it if it starts and than plug it back in to kill it and install a new to me handle bar harness if it does start!

Premium Features