• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

stability of phazer mtx vs nytro mtx

W
Dec 15, 2008
i know these are two totally different machines power wise but what i am wondering about is handling , i watched my wife head plant yesterday on her phazer and she never really hit anything, just got a little off on one side then dumped it, i have tried a couple different things to make this phazer a little more stable but just seems to be nature of the beast , i'm thinking of trading it in on a nytro but don't want the same issue so i guess i'm asking if the nytro mtx handles the same or if it is a little more stable, i have widened the skiis out and cranked the front shocks up any other ideas or input will be appreciated

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
unfortunately thats the "nature of the beast" for the phazer, it is an aggresive riding sled and its charateristics come from a dirtbike. You need to use body english to ride it. The good news is that the nytro is much more stable. for me it felt like a rev, The engine is extremely low in the nytro.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
I used this chart to get my 08' Yamaha Nytro MTX handling the way i wanted it to. Could help you get your Phazer where you want it to be. My sled use to feel very "tippy" and unstable. making the appropriate suspension adjustments made a world of difference.

sledding.jpg
[/quote]

R
Dec 8, 2007
Regina
Changes

I remember my son's first ride on the Phazer, I felt so sorry for him, thinking that I had made the wrong decision by getting rid of my 06 600 sdi summit, n favor of a new Phazer, well that was then and now I'm glad I did. He's got 1500 km on it now and 1300 with Gen 2 ski's and he's very happy with it. I played with the limiter strap a bit, spring adjustments and just recently swapped the track for a 151 2.3 challenger extreme. I'll let you know what the change is. Once we have that sorted out I have a turbo for it. He was given a choice between turboing or trying a M8, and he said he liked the way the Phazer was flickable, so here we go.

D
Nov 30, 2007
My wife wasnt to sure about her Phazer the first ride out, so I tightened up the front shocks 2 spots (they were on the lightest setting), tightened up the front shock in the skid 2 spots (it was also on the lightest setting) and put the skis to their wider setting as they are adjustable. Second ride out she said she loved it. I also turned up the idle a bit so when you let go of the throttle it wont throw you forward as bad, I have this done on my Apex as well, much easier to handle.

W
Dec 15, 2008
thanks for the info everyone i think i have come to the conclusion of what i'm going to do and that is trade it in on a nytro which works better for me two ways she gets more power and stability and i get a better back up sled ,way i see it its a win win , going to get the xtx for better stability though as most of our riding is in saskatchewan , i think the phazer just requires more input on the machine than what she is ready for as roughrider said they are very flickable which could end up with someone getting hurt bad and i don't want to see that so i'll get a little wider ski stance and better center of gravity and see if it works for me once again thank you everyone

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I own both of these sleds.

I will tell you right now that if you are riding off trail AT ALL, the nytro is NOT a good choice vs. the Phazer!

I have found the Phazer to be much easier to handle on the trail, as well as in the deep. The Nytro is stable to a point, but when you pass that point - yer on yer lid!

Put some more thought, and a few test rides in before you jump to a new sled! I think the Phazer is much better for a new rider than the Nytro.

I guess though... It sounds like this is more about YOU, and what YOU want for a backup sled - in that case, GO FOR IT! I guarantee after a couple of rides on the Nytro, she won't want to ride anymore, and you'll just have 2 sleds of yer own.......

Last edited:
N
Jan 11, 2008
Cherhill AB
My wife hated her phaser, wanted her xrs back. After a couple hundred K she now likes it but just wants more power. She hates my Nytro, won't even drive it across the field. I am putting Gen II skis on my mothers phaser tomorrow as she can't get used to its high center of gravity. Hope it helps as she about to give upon it.

W
Dec 15, 2008
i am taking her for a test ride first, i have rode a few nytro's now and found them more stable than the phazer but that is me not her i want her to find something that she is comftorable with so i'll eat my words on the last post about a back up, yes on the trail it is better but we don't ride trails a whole lot we just discussed it and depending how our demo goes maybe try a set of gen 2 skiis on it and go from there

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I didn't mean to sound like an a$$ (although I generally do :rolleyes:). If you guys do deep snow riding alot, the Nytro takes ALOT more finesse than the Phazer. It seems more stable to a point, but past that point - there is no hope.

I love my Nytro, but that is also after $3000+ in mods.

I loved the Phazer right out of the box.

Change is good. Take some time, change yer (or yer wifey's) riding habits, and enjoy that lil bugger! They're underpowered, but Gawd... what a hoot to ride!!!!:D:D:D

W
Dec 15, 2008
I didn't mean to sound like an a$$ (although I generally do :rolleyes:). If you guys do deep snow riding alot, the Nytro takes ALOT more finesse than the Phazer. It seems more stable to a point, but past that point - there is no hope.

I love my Nytro, but that is also after $3000+ in mods.

I loved the Phazer right out of the box.

Change is good. Take some time, change yer (or yer wifey's) riding habits, and enjoy that lil bugger! They're underpowered, but Gawd... what a hoot to ride!!!!:D:D:D

hey no big deal if i didn't want answers i wouldn't ask the questions , i appreciate all answers whether its the one i want hear or not gives me food for thought, we ride in a variety of areas just want to find something that fits her and the way she rides, i am working on her to stand more, just seems that the phazer spends alot of time on its side and thats not good

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
moto u are sort of right the nytro takes more finesse in the deep. Whitey rides in sask, i'm also from sask, the way the snow can get crusty here, the phazer is an absolute death death trap if you are not an aggressive rider, the simmons would help but the high center of gravity is not what u want in the prairies if your a sit down rider. my mom and little bro both tried my phazer and didn;t like it, everyone in the family loves the nytro xtx which is pretty much a prefect sled for saskatchewan riding. little bro will prolly go to a nytro xtx in a few years and mom will have one once they are in a 2 seater version.

my 2 cents, but whitey get your wife to test drive a freinds nytro or a dealer one.

W
Dec 15, 2008
moto u are sort of right the nytro takes more finesse in the deep. Whitey rides in sask, i'm also from sask, the way the snow can get crusty here, the phazer is an absolute death death trap if you are not an aggressive rider, the simmons would help but the high center of gravity is not what u want in the prairies if your a sit down rider. my mom and little bro both tried my phazer and didn;t like it, everyone in the family loves the nytro xtx which is pretty much a prefect sled for saskatchewan riding. little bro will prolly go to a nytro xtx in a few years and mom will have one once they are in a 2 seater version.

my 2 cents, but whitey get your wife to test drive a freinds nytro or a dealer one.

thanks roughrider kinda exactly what i was thinking, the phazer seems to jump around quite a bit on the crusty snow and lack of it this year we are going to test ride on tuesday and go from there

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
which nytro are u planning on going with? xtx or the short tracker? the shock package on the xtx is super plush and very adjustable. Where abouts do u live whitey?

W
Dec 15, 2008
which nytro are u planning on going with? xtx or the short tracker? the shock package on the xtx is super plush and very adjustable. Where abouts do u live whitey?

the xtx it has the same ski width as the short track but a 144 track, going to see they can put a 2" on it , i rode with one last weekend and it impressed me, i live in the northeast in a little town called gronlid just north of melfort , snow is terrible this year compared to last two years normally we have three to four feet by now which is why i want longer tracks and paddles as i hate riding groomed trails when there is fluff out there

C
I have a Nytro MTX and my wife has the Phazer. She is not an agressive rider (at all) but she loves her machine. She likes the narrow seat and the light feel of the sled but she has had it on it's side a couple of times at low speed off camber. She refuses to ride the Nytro due to the mass and the power. In the deep stuff, the Phazer is awesome. On the trail, both of these sleds could use some work. I am anxious to try some of the adjustments on the chart. Thanks Irondave!

W
Dec 15, 2008
well we went for a test ride and after an hour or so the wife decided she liked the nytro better, we had both sleds out and she went back and forth between the two abd felt more at home on the nytro, liked the rider forward position better, the stability was way better there was spots where she was making turns and would have dumped the phaser and the nytro held the turn better, so now we are the owners of a nytro xtx, just have to find some better skiis for it,

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Our 08 Phazer was very tippy with the stock 144. Went with a 153 and stiffer front springs and it helped the sled become more stable. We agree the Phazer takes a more aggressive rider style to be happy on it. Dino

Premium Features