• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowy Range - Mullen Fire

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Snow, higher humidity, and longer nights are all helping out.

I think they are down to less than 500 people working on it now. Probably transition to a type 3 team by end of this week. My parents went up last Saturday to check on the cabin - a few smoldering areas along FS500 going up out of Albany, but that was about it.

The firefighters pulled the portable tank, hoses, & sprinklers from our place last Friday before they opened up the mountain to property owners on Saturday. I'm looking forward to taking a ride around to see what burned hot and what is still standing. The weather service is predicting a pretty decent storm this weekend - that should get it up to 100% containment by early next week at the very latest.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
From what I have been able to see and find - is it correct to say that the fire was mainly South of W trail, and SW of Q and T ?

And of that range, I understand that all vegetation was burned. Is it like the Keystone area where there were/are standing "poles" of charred tree trunks (all limbs and branches gone) ? or completely burned tot he ground, nothing even standing ?

TIA !!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Yes - some of it burned really hot, in those areas it is basically black trunks as mentioned above. The Savage Run wilderness areas burned pretty hot - north of Savage Run where mullen creek crosses FS 500 (trail Q) it burned hot where it ran uphill from bottom of the drainage. The FS had crews still working up there up there last weekend - there were two semi trucks parked at the T-Q intersection (Rob Roy) - so they had machinery working up north somewhere on T trail I believe. Those two trucks were moved Sunday morning when the snow rolled in - not sure if they were done, or just moving to another area to stay away from the snow for a bit.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Thanks for the updates guys. Always a huge bummer to loose the forest growth, critters and such ! Hopefully any structures that were damaged can be repaired and/or replaced quickly. Plus it's amazing how fast and strong and rich the new forest becomes in just a few years. In the mean time, it looks like we might have some previously inaccessible terrain open to us for a few years - until the new growth reclaims "control".

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
In the mean time, it looks like we might have some previously inaccessible terrain open to us for a few years -

Exactly. I think the big issue this winter will be falling trees when the wind kicks up. I think we'll have to be careful/alert for that, but I'm excited to ride some of these areas that have been opened up.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Anyone know if the FS Keystone cabin went up in flames? It was pretty well mitigated, so would have been semi-defensible, but it's in the burn area, so don't know...
Just curious.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Not sure but I noticed Avenza Maps shows the Keystone Fire Boundary that I never noticed before. Not sure when that was added.

View attachment 363380

Just checked the 2021 map on the Wyoming site and it does not have any fire boundaries - it does have a note about the mullen fire. Looking at your picture it shows a 2017 date - the Keystone Fire was in the summer of 2017.

There are some additional riding area that has been closed this season for winter wildlife range down where the fire burned - hope that is not permanent.

TK

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I downloaded what appears to be a more recent Avenza map from their site and it doesnt show the fire boundry as shown on the 2017 map.

The new map I downloaded is called
Snowy Range - Wyoming Trail Map
I didnt see a date but believe it is more current.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
if you are to see where the Mullen fire actually took place, search under "Mullen Fire Wyoming". you will see the daily reports and a map for each day. take the newest one and there you have it.

In general, the entire area, down to low elevations, south of W, West of Q, except for a little pocket near (and west to 4 Corners) of Keystone.

Premium Features