• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowies Noob

Headed to the snowies for the first time, staying in Centennial, planning to trailer up 130 to green rock and ride from there. My question is where can a person find food and fuel, I’m used to riding in the black hills where gas and food seems abundant so I’d like to know what to expect for riding out west

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
Nothing on the hill there. Better fuel up in centennial and bring lunch. Albany, ten mile and Rendezvous has fuel and food but they are a hike from the green rock parking. If you're more into trail riding than off trail, they won't seem that far but if you want to play off trail all day, it takes away from that to get there.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Nothing on the hill there. Better fuel up in centennial and bring lunch. Albany, ten mile and Rendezvous has fuel and food but they are a hike from the green rock parking. If you're more into trail riding than off trail, they won't seem that far but if you want to play off trail all day, it takes away from that to get there.

Thanks for the reply! How crazy is the avalanche risk, should we be renting beacons and packs or is it not that active

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I haven't been there this year but if you're planning on going off trail, you need avy gear and know how to use it.

I haven't been there this year but if you're planning on going off trail, you need avy gear and know how to use it.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatal

Sounds good, appreciate the response! Nice to be able to pick someone’s brain a little before we head out there!

JVthundercat

Lifetime Membership
Thanks for the reply! How crazy is the avalanche risk, should we be renting beacons and packs or is it not that active
This year so far is a must. I only trail ride and going to this time. Had one big slide right on hwy 130 to the west of Widowmaker at the tight bend. Usually for trail we don't bother and stay off of the trail going to Centennial. That is marked on the map as a risk. Once you go north of the hwy, you better have one on. Plus keep up on the reports.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
John, I was there second week of January and rode west side. Got lots of fresh on top of weak layers. digging revealed little to no base with layers of unstable sugar snow. No avy forecast for snowies i am aware of but northern colorado is closest forecast. I know for certain that ten mile on west side has gas and some food. I was told no gas at redevous by someone stopping in at ten mile. If not familiar, greenrock to ten mile is good 20 miles depending on route

Premium Features