• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowy Mountain Lodge---Post from Owner

S
Nov 10, 2011
We are excited to announce that Snowy Mountain Lodge will be open for business this year.

After reading several blogs and forum post over the past few weeks I decided as the Lodge President that it was best to get some clear information out on the table and also provide an opportunity for any feedback as your voice is critical in the future operation of the lodge. I would like to keep this short and simple while at the same time explain a couple of key points.

Current State of the Lodge:
The lodge has been under heavy construction since September. A new roof has been put on the main lodge and all the walls are currently being put back in their original position, as the lodge almost experienced a catastrophic collapse due the logs rolling outward under the tremendous weight of heavy snow the past two winters. We have also replaced and fixed all the water and heating systems in the Lodge.
Current State of the Cabins:
Many of the roofs had to be repaired and all the plumbing in large cabins had to be removed and reconfigured. New tankless water heaters have also been placed in all of the large cabins. All six of the large cabins also received 3 ½” of new spray foam insulation in the entire crawl space.
Our cabins are in great shape. The large cabins sleep 6-8 individual in beds with room for more on cots. Our small cabins sleep 4 in beds. The large cabins all have full kitchens and bathrooms with never ending hot water with our new tankless water heaters while the small cabins offer only beds and a toilet.

Winter and Construction:
Winter has fully set in as we have already had several storms. This has made additional improvements very difficult. The straightening of the main lodge walls is the only work being carried out at this time. We hope to have this completed by early December at which time we will officially open for business. So far we have spent over $120,000 on repairs and improvements, most of which addressed structural issues. We have several areas that we would like to address next summer. We ask that you understand that this project is a work in progress.

This Winter:
All of our cabins are available to rent and the lodge will be open as a warm place to gather. The restaurant will not be open this year due to the construction and inadequate time to prepare a restaurant. We do, however, want to receive feedback as to the kind of food people want to see in the future.

Gas:
The sale of gasoline seems to be a hot topic. The tank that had been in place for the past 10 years had to be removed as it no longer met DEQ standards. Both DEQ and USFS standards for tanks near a waterway have drastically increased over the last couple of years. In addition, homeland security measures also impact the storage of fuel. There is no possible way for us to construct a fuel system this year that meets all the requirements. We are working on ways to provide gas without being the reseller. I hope to be posting additional information in this area soon as we work with the USFS on a solution.

Please click on the following links to find out more information and listen to a recent broadcast about the lodge.

You can now book cabins online and check availability!

www.snowymountainlodge.com

http://laramielive.com/snowy-mountain-lodge-above-centennial-to-re-open-repurpose/

Thanks for your time!
Clayton Schultz
President

S
Nov 10, 2011
We hope to "provide/enable" the distribution of fuel for this season. We are trying to be creative. However, we must have the approval from the USFS to carry out our plan.

We want everyone who has called this place home in the past to feel that it is still their home going forward. We are working on several ideas to help make it feel like home again.

1998summitx670

Jan 12, 2008
Omaha, NE
trappers

are the the Trappers going to be available to rent? I see on the website that they are not but this post makes it sound like they will. We usually just rent those without the rental of a big cabin (3 riders).

Thanks! Glad to see you back open

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Thanks for posting this Clayton, it makes my life easier! I didn't want to post any misinformation.

Hawkeye

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Toledo, Iowa
This is great news, we have stayed before and really liked the "on mountain" experience. With no gas, it would make it really difficult, hopefully this problem will work out for you. Good Luck, the new roof looks good.

Premium Features