• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow Hawk Hill siding

For sometime I have been a snowmobiler. I personally love to mountain ride in thick timber. Because of that one spends alot of time hill siding. Which I enjoy.

What I'm wondering is this: I would love to hear a comparison of the differences between hill siding on a snowmobiling and a snow hawk....
I have not personally been on a snow hawk and was really wondering what it would be like in thick timber on a steep hillside...

Thanks for the input...

Thanks for all the information...

For snow hawk and snow bike riders, how steep of a slope have you stopped on and easily taken off again and proceed up the hill. I know that this depends on the snow conditions, but I just wondering overall.... Is it as easy as riding a motor bike in the sand dunes. Or easier..?

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
where you from/

we ride cooke city most of the time we go. First trip to the mtns my buddies tell me to never park up hill so I don't. rode with plenty first timers on sleds and really got tired of pulling them out because they stopped up hill.. They maybe not quite as good at taking off up hill from a stop cause of the narrow track but thats really the only downfall that i see. I would never ride a sled the way i ride in the mtns.

Going to CO. grand mesa first weekend of march come join us for a ride.

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Regarding HawkFest, If you're in NW Montana wouldn't that be about 9 hours drive? It's almost in your backyard!! I'm coming from CT.

I don't know what it's like to ride your kind of "sand dunes", but in general I say it's much easier to ride a Hawk than a motorcycle on sand.

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Not a Hawk, but same concept. Watch this video around the 3:30 mark. My wife (riding Red) would never leave the trail on a sled (unless in an open meadow), but she'll take the bike almost anywhere, even below the road. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWQ1lrB4Vvk

That's a cool vid Dobber ! I just love it. Great area and conditions to ride an Explorer with the wife ! Can't get any better than this. Liking the song too !!!

Not a Hawk, but same concept. Watch this video around the 3:30 mark. My wife (riding Red) would never leave the trail on a sled (unless in an open meadow), but she'll take the bike almost anywhere, even below the road. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWQ1lrB4Vvk

I have heard that one needs a fair amount of HP with the explorer kit for the motorbike. What are your thoughts on that? Do you find that there is enough power, or could you use more? Also, is the attack angle of the track good? How does that work?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE - Snow Hawk!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TLKDPROD

Just start watching and click all the related ones that interest you, your sidehilling question will be answered a hundred different ways.

The one ski has no idea whether it's leaning over or hanging on a vertical abiss.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GbvrtVKS9E

Sorry you missed us in Lolo Mt last Feb, there are locals in the Missula area, but they should be joining us all in Logan, catch a ride with them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TLKDPROD

Just start watching and click all the related ones that interest you, your sidehilling question will be answered a hundred different ways.

The one ski has no idea whether it's leaning over or hanging on a vertical abiss.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GbvrtVKS9E

Sorry you missed us in Lolo Mt last Feb, there are locals in the Missula area, but they should be joining us all in Logan, catch a ride with them.

Thanks for the links.

Lolo Mt. I wish I would have known about the hawkfest last year. Just a couple of hours away for me. But, oh well.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I have heard that one needs a fair amount of HP with the explorer kit for the motorbike. What are your thoughts on that? Do you find that there is enough power, or could you use more? Also, is the attack angle of the track good? How does that work?

I'd go with nothing less than a "four fiddy"!! (right Buffalo? ;))

Track angle is almost flat on the Explorer Kits. Unlike a sled, the track rides on what the ski has packed down for the most part. Large footprint of the ski & lightweight front end make for great floatation. :D

Every bike is a little different, so we're kinda comparing....Red Delicious vs. Granny Smith vs. McIntosh vs. Adams ;) vs. Crab.....Crabs? :eek:

So...have you noticed the attitude of single ski riders yet? Nobody argues about brand, model, size, etc. We've seen the light and just ride! There was another post I read somewhere in which you offer someone a ride on the single ski and more than 50% will turn down the offer. I think most are just afraid they'll look funny, but once you get over the fact that people look at you the way they look at the bearded women at the carnival, it's all good! :beer;

Last edited:
I'd go with nothing less than a "four fiddy"!! (right Buffalo? ;))

Track angle is almost flat on the Explorer Kits. Unlike a sled, the track rides on what the ski has packed down for the most part. Large footprint of the ski & lightweight front end make for great floatation. :D

Every bike is a little different, so we're kinda comparing....Red Delicious vs. Granny Smith vs. McIntosh vs. Adams ;) vs. Crab.....Crabs? :eek:

So...have you noticed the attitude of single ski riders yet? Nobody argues about brand, model, size, etc. We've seen the light and just ride! There was another post I read somewhere in which you offer someone a ride on the single ski and more than 50% will turn down the offer. I think most are just afraid they'll look funny, but once you get over the fact that people look at you the way they look at the bearded women at the carnival, it's all good! :beer;

Thanks for the information. I enjoy riding snowmobiles, but when the snow is firm the hill siding can become a challenge. That is where I would like to try a snow hawk or explorer kit out. Get back into those places that one could not normally.

Premium Features