• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skiis opinion

P
Dec 15, 2018
Iam a pretty lame mountain rider but iam hellbent on getting better. I broke a ski this weekend by bending it the wrong way (cause I lost control lol) and since I gotta buy a new one I thought I’d ask if guys thought another brand would be better? I know it would be two skiis instead of one and odds are good I can’t tell because of my zero-level skill level but I think I’ll be keeping this sled for a few years so I might notice next year? The stock rubbers are not allways in stock every where so don’t forget to carry a extra pair! They are different from ascender also if it wasn’t well known allready. Thanks

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Iam a pretty lame mountain rider but iam hellbent on getting better. I broke a ski this weekend by bending it the wrong way (cause I lost control lol) and since I gotta buy a new one I thought I’d ask if guys thought another brand would be better? I know it would be two skiis instead of one and odds are good I can’t tell because of my zero-level skill level but I think I’ll be keeping this sled for a few years so I might notice next year? The stock rubbers are not allways in stock every where so don’t forget to carry a extra pair! They are different from ascender also if it wasn’t well known allready. Thanks
I have no experience with cat skis, but SLP Mohawks and Powder Pros use a metal ski saddle and have a good stiff rubber, which I have found can take much more of a beating than the Polaris Gripper skis.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I think the the new cat skis are comparable to grippers. I just hate the ski loops. You might ask summ8rmk. His opinion between the 2 might be better than mine. As far as aftermarket, the 2 best choices are slydog attack and mowkawks. Both more aggressive and slydogs are heavy. If cat fixed their heavy steering then both options are good. Have not rode my daughter's sled yet.
What is the verdict on your new sled?
How was the snow in ip?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i've had powder pro's for 10 years. i tried mohawks for 1 ride and went back to the powder pros. if your more on trail the mohawks are definitely better on the trail but the powder pro's turn better in powder.

P
Dec 15, 2018
It’s way different than my 21 that’s for sure! It’s way lighter and I have my skiis in the outside position so I’d just tip over on the skinny setting. It definitely needs shocks or I have to learn to set these and spring rates? Maybe easier for me to throw money at it and call ice age about their shocks they have for them. It will fall past balance points pretty easily but that’s because I have to exaggerated and panicked style/skill lol. You know what I mean? You just step and counter steer and it edges and if you blip and stomp and lean it’s over fast so yo need to know . You just need to look at lean and it’ll go with throttle. It unfortunately will tip just as fast downhill lol! It’s not loose but it’s definitely not the pushy heavy ascender. It’s really nice and it will be really good for me and no one will be able to say the 858 isn’t capable. Maybe they will lament the mono rail but in marginal snow all day and it worked great (iam not good though and rode easy terrain) . The snows not bad at all and there’s plenty of untracked and kinda tracked spots and for the sender there’s alot of untouched trees. We rode black canyon with Christopher Saturday and the west side of two top Sunday and had great snow and fun terrain. I did better in meadows and gentle parks and trees and ate crap a lot in the more technical but that’s me not the sled . Taylor’s is dirt , cabin creek was dirt at the trail head. This week may be the week. It’s forecast to snow all week thete then get hot next week. It’s 44 here?!! Yeah it’s worth a trip. The sled will be unstoppable with a pro rider and Its way way way better than the ascender. I will say it’s loud and the belt whine gets a weird old. My gauge had condensation in it (alot on line do) and if you eat crap and slide and roll down a kinda steep scary hill you could bend your ski backwards and break I. No ski rubbers in the area either!!!

P
Dec 15, 2018
Oh sorry Christopher didn’t see your post while I wrote a novella! Yeah we took it off and it tore the hole where the bolt goes through and oblongatee the plastic housing. One side is allmost torn through and the other badly egg shaped. It tore the ribs where the rubber sits in also. We just put the rubber back in , it was just squished out the front? And bolted back on and stay kinda close to the truck? I don’t trust I really thought so I’ll get a new one. The stock ones are 119 bucks a country cat so not to bad. The ascender rubbers do not fit fyi.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Oh sorry Christopher didn’t see your post while I wrote a novella! Yeah we took it off and it tore the hole where the bolt goes through and oblongatee the plastic housing. One side is allmost torn through and the other badly egg shaped. It tore the ribs where the rubber sits in also. We just put the rubber back in , it was just squished out the front? And bolted back on and stay kinda close to the truck? I don’t trust I really thought so I’ll get a new one. The stock ones are 119 bucks a country cat so not to bad. The ascender rubbers do not fit fyi.
Dang.
Sorry to hear that.
I thought you had gotten off easy when we saw the popped rubber.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
It appears that spring tension is a big deal on the front and the PTO side has to be a bit tighter.
I found myself constantly pulling the machine to the right or keeping more weight on the right running board.
I'll throw a straight edge on the alignment, maybe it's real touchy in that part, not sure till I put a tape to it
The stock shocks have to go, there was a couple of times where the bar bit back jumping on the flat and hopping down hill
Here's one, why are the heels of the skis wider in the back then the front?

When I noticed that is when I thought a true alignment is necessary or an excuse to look at Sly Dogs Attack skis. They seen what Yeti did and kind of did the same, very smart, instant floatation from idle.
Very happy so far, hasn't let me down on what I purchased, the rail is the ticket.
The two skis not so much, constantly watching out for them.
It was bought for a purpose but is no where a replacement for the Hawk.
These two ski things is like slow motion :)

trees happen

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2008
Anywhere there's snow
I'd go Mohawk, or Powder Pro's they've got a deeper keel, and bite/ turn harder, with less push, than any other ski I've used, but they are twitchy on groomed trail at speed, they grab every ski rut, so with SLP ski's you must use their keel blades, and then they're perfect.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
SLP mohawks are really good skis IMO. I have no experience with them on a Cat but on a Polaris they do not push like the grippers, the saddle/rubber set up is excellent, they do not dart, and work well off trail. Be aware that they do steer harder though… If I remember correctly you are not a big guy, that might not be ideal!

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Turning is not a problem on this, for me it's to much, I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the ski pressure. I prefer a light front end and when it comes to that part it sticks like glue.

It turns on a dime in the parking lot, I don't understand why there is a need for that, has anyone picked up a front end of a sled lately.

Has anyone noticed that it's EASIER to turn a mountain machine sitting down then standing up?

Just trying to figure out how to eliminate the weight on the front, not picking a bone.

Just a perspective from my point, I have to physically lean and pull and push to make it turn because the front is planted, if that makes any sense.

As far as the alpha rail goes it isn't noticeable to me, I'm still trying to figure out why there is such a push for a twin rail.

I'm hoping Cat does not go twin but majority rules even if it would take the sport to the next level. You can walk up to an alpha skid and grab the mountain loop and pull it over without putting a foot on the running board, That is awesome!

P
Dec 15, 2018
Oh sometimes I need to re direct the sled cause iam way off course lol. You never had to do that ? Bwahaha! FYI especially when iam in the woods! I can’t go as fast as you guys and I loose my nerve!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Stopped in snow the skis have more strength tied to the ground than your steering components do.
Hop off and pull the ski around by hand if you can’t go anywhere.
Your components will give if you continually crank bars sitting still.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Stopped in snow the skis have more strength tied to the ground than your steering components do.
Hop off and pull the ski around by hand if you can’t go anywhere.
Your components will give if you continually crank bars sitting still.

This is a great way to learn how to ride on 1 ski back to the truck though. Forced sidehill practice on a flat surface

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premium Features