• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKIDOO XM 154 to 163 SIMPLE CONVERSION

atomix3

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2018
This is how you can change your stock 154 to a stock 163 nice and simple and affordable. I’m sure this process will also work on XP’s or other models.

First about me, unlike most others on here I don’t claim to be an expert snowmobiler, I am just an intermediate rider and wanted to try a diff track size so I would know better what I wanted to buy for my next ride. Plus I figured a 163 would allow me to go a little slower while technical riding without getting stuck.

Now I looked at a lot of different sites trying to get information and what I found was a lot of great info but also a lot of garbage and unnecessary steps from guys who have probably never did it.

The first thing I want to say is “YOU DON’T NEED TO EXTEND THE TUNNELL”, that is just a waste of time and money. Hey look at the new skidoo expert editions they already come with the shorter tunnels. Or for those Polaris guys look at what Burandt does to his tunnels, I will tell you for the Skidoos the cooling is fine same as before, Polaris guys well you are on your own.

Ok first step, find a track. I got my track on ebay, it was a takeoff in good condition no rips or tears $350.

Second step pick your extensions there are several different kinds out there. Yes you could buy some rails but that would require tearing apart the skid to swap everything, too much work and more expensive. I opted for the extensions from Tracks USA simply because they also extend the hy-faxes, they were slightly more then others but still only $145. Of course I also ordered the hy-faxes from Tracks USA while I was at it, they have great prices two for $35.

Next you need to swap gears the stock 154 has 19 tooth top and 49 tooth bottom, the stock 163 has the same top but a 51 tooth bottom. I found my bottom gear on ebay $35. Now this I didn’t realize when I bought my bottom gear but the stock 154 uses a 104 link chain and the stock 163 uses a 106 link chain so back to ebay for a chain another $35. If I had known, you can buy whole takeoff sets on ebay (top, bottom, chain, tensioner) for $50-$80. Note the 104 chain will not fit, I tried. If you are not doing an XM or diff length tracks your gearing may be different, just look-up what they came factory with.

That’s it, you can look-up on youtube for videos on changing a track, just while you have the skid out add the extensions and when you are putting it back together use the 163 gears. Works great no cooling issues and no ski flap hitting the track issues. Plus if you don’t like it, simple just change back. My total cost not including gear oil and beer $600.

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Can you post a pic of the side to show how far back the track comes in the tunnel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomix3

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2018
Here are some pics. The Black/Orange sled is my wifes (AKA My backup) and has 154 track, The Black/Yellow is mine with the new 163 track. Both are 2014 Summit SP's. Her's does have a longer flap. You can see the 154 track stops at at end of tunnel, the 163 goes out little past but still under bumper. Only 4.5 inches more.

Pic1.jpg Pic4.jpg Pic2.jpg Pic3.jpg

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Looks good. Always figured ski doo tunnels were way long for the track and would fit the next size up perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features