• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2.86 pitch 163 track on 23 Boost ? Opinions?

D

Dennissledpool

Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
I have a 2.86 pitch 163” challenger extreme 2.5 track with the 2.86 driver
Can I install all of it on a 23 boost?
Currently ordered 155 track on sled and want a longer set up.
I have suspension also from 2018 Polaris Rmk and wonder if bolt holes will line up in tunnel??
Also what about gearing ratio?? I have stock gears from the 18 Rmk also and Kurt’s gear down for possibly re gear.
More track speed I assume on 2.86 pitch
What about trenching??
Please any opinions would be great
Thx

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Assuming you now have a series 8 track with 3.5" pitch? You will have to change the drivers ( you say you have drivers). The Axys drivers, or complete axle, (belt drive model) had what you are looking for. It would be 7 tooth and now you have 6. You could also put drivers (or complete axle) from a ProRide or Dragon and have 8 tooth. With 8 tooth you would be best to gear down some. I would expect the skid would fit in and bolt up but others may have more to say about that. Right now the driver circumfrence is 6 x 3.5= 21 inches for a 7 tooth 2.86, 7 x 2.86= 20.02 inches. These 2.86 drivers would gear you down 5% Generally the 2.86 tracks were a bit heavier becasue they had more rods and clips. Also the series 8 track has a great reputation for not trenching. If you have a 3' series 7 track coming it can be a trencher so asking if the challenger will trench will be relative to what is being removed.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have a 2.86 pitch 163” challenger extreme 2.5 track with the 2.86 driver
Can I install all of it on a 23 boost?
Currently ordered 155 track on sled and want a longer set up.
I have suspension also from 2018 Polaris Rmk and wonder if bolt holes will line up in tunnel??
Also what about gearing ratio?? I have stock gears from the 18 Rmk also and Kurt’s gear down for possibly re gear.
More track speed I assume on 2.86 pitch
What about trenching??
Please any opinions would be great
Thx
After running a 165 series 8 on my boost and a 163x2.5 challenger extreme side by side I would gladly change to a 163x2.5 challenger extreme.

The series 8 belting folds over and spins like an old series iv 2.4 track.

Swap drivers and rails and run it. (Keep your newer un worn suspension arms / shafts)

The qd2 gearing is the most reliable setup available. Worth keeping if you have it already.

D

Dennissledpool

Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
So you ran the 163 2.86 setup and sounds like you really enjoyed it
How was the lift out of snow?
Trenching? Slow speed tooling around and climbing steep and deep Can you please give some more details about why the 163 is better than the 165 in your opinion thank you again for this info. It’s really helping me decide what route to go
Considering I have all the components already to do this swap I’m thinking about seriously doing it.
My 163 suspension is from a 18 pro
23 boost is a Khaos and issues ??
I want to settle down the front end

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So you ran the 163 2.86 setup and sounds like you really enjoyed it
How was the lift out of snow?
Trenching? Slow speed tooling around and climbing steep and deep Can you please give some more details about why the 163 is better than the 165 in your opinion thank you again for this info. It’s really helping me decide what route to go
Considering I have all the components already to do this swap I’m thinking about seriously doing it.
My 163 suspension is from a 18 pro
23 boost is a Khaos and issues ??
I want to settle down the front end
My 2 biggest reasons were reliability and traction.

The series 8 has already started to shred at 550 miles.
With the power available on the boost the lugs stay straight but the belting folds so the lugs cannot grip anything.
It’s “ok” in light blower snow with a soft base.
Slow and heavy feeling in 90% of snow conditions.

The challenger extreme is very tough and a good all around track.
At 163 length it’s not terribly wheelie prone. (Boost sleds are nose heavy anyway)

I would use all the suspension components from the Khaos boost except the anti stab wheel.

avid PC style 2.86 drivers.

2018 rails with cut tips to fit a new mtntk anti stab.

D

Dennissledpool

Jul 19, 2022
Wisconsin
Thank You for all your help. I really appreciate it
What gearing did you use on the boost with the 163 camoplast 2.5 track?
I have 2 gearing options
The stock gearing that comes on the 24 boost quick drive 2 (don’t know the gear ratio on QD2. Help? )
The stock gearing from my 18 Polaris Rmk 800 155 standard quick drive
In your opinion which gearing should I install in the 23 boost with my 163 2.5 camoplast extreme track 2.86 driver?? Thx again.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thank You for all your help. I really appreciate it
What gearing did you use on the boost with the 163 camoplast 2.5 track?
I have 2 gearing options
The stock gearing that comes on the 24 boost quick drive 2 (don’t know the gear ratio on QD2. Help? )
The stock gearing from my 18 Polaris Rmk 800 155 standard quick drive
In your opinion which gearing should I install in the 23 boost with my 163 2.5 camoplast extreme track 2.86 driver?? Thx again.
The qd2 is lower gearing.

Use that.

zaasman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2019
Yukon
The series 8 has already started to shred at 550 miles.

I have 650 miles on mine, missing a handful of lugs. I'm a bit shocked how easily they're ripping out.

I would use all the suspension components from the Khaos boost except the anti stab wheel.
2018 rails with cut tips to fit a new mtntk anti stab.

Are you seeing issues with the new stock anti stab?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have 650 miles on mine, missing a handful of lugs. I'm a bit shocked how easily they're ripping out.

Are you seeing issues with the new stock anti stab?
I assumed he would be putting the takeoff boost track and rails back on the 2018 sled referenced.

Premium Features