• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skid Plate or Not

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I always run a skid plate. Just put one on my new Lynx.

I didn't go with the Rivnuts though that came with it heard bad things about them tearing out, or maybe user error on install.

Took my hood and muffler and pipe off and used the old way of rivits and backing washers.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT

I didn't go with the Rivnuts though that came with it heard bad things about them tearing out, or maybe user error on install.

Took my hood and muffler and pipe off and used the old way of rivits and backing washers.
I’ll give them a try, but will also use rivets it they fail.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask

I could see if you got carried away and overtightened you could pull them through. Best is to start with the one under the primary you can see it and get a good feel how tight they actually need to be. Pretty straight forward once you have done them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I could see if you got carried away and overtightened you could pull them through. Best is to start with the one under the primary you can see it and get a good feel how tight they actually need to be. Pretty straight forward once you have done them.

This is the video I watched. I watched another video where someone installed the rivnuts that come with the new skid plates now...and he tore a few out.

I don't have the right tool, and don't know how to use it either and didn't want to try so lol I just went old school way.

Video I watched

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I bought one of those Milwaukee battery powered air compressors( that thing is awesome by the way its so quiet ) and harbor freight rivit air gun. and a ton of rivits and washers on amazon. So its not that big of a deal for me to not use the new fangled rivnut style.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
This is the video I watched. I watched another video where someone installed the rivnuts that come with the new skid plates now...and he tore a few out.

I don't have the right tool, and don't know how to use it either and didn't want to try so lol I just went old school way.

Video I watched

Yeah that’s a proven way for sure just more time consuming. I can’t be bothered to dismantle the exhaust of the sled when I can have the whole plate on in 15mins with the same results. Once you do a few you get a feel for it and it’s pretty straightforward. Haven’t had one rip out yet but I use my homemade tool which I feel I have more control rather than the actual tool meant for them. I suppose if you did have one rip out you could just go back to the rivet way and add a bigger backing washer and none would be the wiser haha

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
I bought one of those Milwaukee battery powered air compressors( that thing is awesome by the way its so quiet ) and harbor freight rivit air gun. and a ton of rivits and washers on amazon. So its not that big of a deal for me to not use the new fangled rivnut style.

Yeah I dig those little compressors I keep one in my truck all the time. Don’t think there is a tool Milwaukee dosent make at this point haha

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Yeah I dig those little compressors I keep one in my truck all the time. Don’t think there is a tool Milwaukee dosent make at this point haha

There is a few, they don't make a hot glue gun.. but I got a chinese one of those that runs on Milwaukee batteries lol.

I'm sure there is more , ( Now Ryobi I think there isn't a tool they don't make ) but I'm not on that battery platform lol

D
Mar 13, 2014
I recently got done installing my RPM Composites full skid plate.

Definitely worth it.

ac15946e40496e01c9e3a7bf4ca66c72.jpg

0e84abfff8cf806242f68e6e5180faca.jpg

6b9e658a75184e67eebd507476357de1.jpg

That's badass! I wish I knew that existed a couple months ago.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
IMO ... some things are worth the weight penalty. This is one of them. Have I ever been explicitly saved from assured destruction by a skid plate? No. Have I assuredly saved cumulative wear and tear on my belly pan over the life of my sled? Yes, absolutley.

Premium Features