• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important >>> Ski-Doo Summit 850 TURBO OEM at long last!!!!!!

Post number 92 has been selected as best answered.

D
Mar 13, 2014
It is not 40 HP more. It's the way they are marketing it that makes you guys think that. It's only 40 HP more than stock of they are side by side at 12,500'. I talk to Tony about it tonight. This is a huge gimmick and only worth it if you ride over 10,000'. It's the same sled as stock until you get over 8,000'.

This new Rotax engine is what the aircraft industry calls "turbonormalized", that is, it puts out a constant rated horsepower as altitude increases, instead of providing a large horsepower boost across the engine's operating RPM band.

This method simply ties the wastegate to a barometric altimeter. As the altitude increases and atmospheric pressure drops, it adjusts the boost to keep the intake air charge pressure equal to 29.92" Hg, which is the standard barometric pressure at sea level.

This keeps the engine's horsepower output at its sea level rating of 165 HP up to 8,000' (according to the product literature), at which point the wastegate is completely closed and the turbocharger is producing its maximum volume. A turbonormalized system makes the boost level transparent to the engine, and thus has no deleterious effect on operating stresses and longevity.

K
Apr 12, 2018
It is not 40 HP more. It's the way they are marketing it that makes you guys think that. It's only 40 HP more than stock of they are side by side at 12,500'. I talk to Tony about it tonight. This is a huge gimmick and only worth it if you ride over 10,000'. It's the same sled as stock until you get over 8,000'.
Which is usually where the men are riding.

D
Mar 13, 2014
I get what Chad & Brad is saying. But for me who wants boost but is concerned about reliability and even more concerned about the drive ability and manners this is a great solution.

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming

It is 40 hp more corrected for altitude, the aftermarket turbo makers are claiming 200+ hp but use 165 sea level and just add 5 -6 # boost so they make more just not 200 corrected for elevation.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
The people on here saying they aren’t impressed because they ride at or near sea level have forgotten the simple fact that this is a SUMMIT!! Not a flat lander sled. It is meant and only meant for Mountain riders. I’m a mountain rider and would LOVE to have this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I've been on the fence about a Doo for years and almost bought one last round. I'm excited to see how quickly Cat and Poo respond with equivalent tech!
For the Industry as a whole, that may well be the BIGGEST IMPACT that this has on us.
I can't imagine that POLARIS or ARCTIC CAT won't come out with their own TURBO SLEDS to compete.
This should be a True WIN-WIN for every mountain sledder long term!

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I get what Chad & Brad is saying. But for me who wants boost but is concerned about reliability and even more concerned about the drive ability and manners this is a great solution.

I've got a buddy who has a 18 850 with a Boondocker turbo set a 8 pounds boost. It is an absolute beast, but the power can be very difficult to manage in technical situations making it difficult for us mere mortals to ride (too much of a good thing). Reliability has also been less than stellar, as he just got it out of the shop for the third time. I think what Doo has come up with is the perfect solution for most high altitude riders. A noticeable and manageable increase in power while maintaining stock like handling and reliability.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I've got a buddy who has a 18 850 with a Boondocker turbo set a 8 pounds boost. It is an absolute beast, but the power can be very difficult to manage in technical situations making it difficult for us mere mortals to ride (too much of a good thing). Reliability has also been less than stellar, as he just got it out of the shop for the third time. I think what Doo has come up with is the perfect solution for most high altitude riders. A noticeable and manageable increase in power while maintaining stock like handling and reliability.
Agreed.
For all the bluster we hear about "REAL TURBOS" vs. this simpler altitude compensating low-boost turbo, I think the reality is, BRP has done their homework and will probably do well with this.

I have built 3 boosted sleds over the last 10 years.
1 Super Charged
1 17lb high boost turbo
1 5-7lb low boost turbo.

All three of those were 4 stroke Yamahas, which arguably are the most reliable long term boosted engines.
All three of them had their own unique issues, but the higher the boost, the MORE TROUBLES I encountered.
Don't get me wrong, there is nothing in this world like going up a mountain side with 275hp under you.
Its the freaking RIDE OF YOUR LIFE, but it comes at a real price..

When I finally made the jump from 4S to 2S I also walked away from boosted sleds as I just didn't want to deal with all the extra hassle.
Reliability had become a much higher issue for me.

Several of the turbo manufacturers have approached me about boosting one of my 850's and I have politely declined as I just didn't want to go down that road again, AND because I have learned, that given where I live and ride, West Yellowstone/Island Park/Tetons/Togwotee, for the most part on most days, I just didn't need 275hp to get out and have a freaking blast.

BUT.

With what BRP has brought to the table, I would seriously reconsider having a turbo.
Most of my riding is between 7-9,000ft
The sweet spot for this low pressure turbo.

Give me a decent factory warranty, and ya, I think I will trade in my last 17 850 and order up a new turbo to go with my 2019 850.

D
Mar 13, 2014

Exactly. I have been riding with a good friend on a BD Alpha and it is terrible. I just told him he needs to get it tooned better or clutching better or take it off lol. My problem is I have a ton of money into my skid and now have it where I want it but don't want to purchase a 2nd sled etc etc...major real world problems ha

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Cool idea, small market. I doubt most guys that ride regularly at or below 6k elevation will find the price worth it. Could be wrong.

The big pocket guys would buy it if they rode at Sea Level.
If you have been to any major trailhead or riding location in the west, you'd realize this is NOT a small market, there are more $15k-20k sleds than there are $5k-10k sleds... a good percentage of them boosted. They are gonna sell TONS of these in the western US. I would guess there will be a very limited number of them on the snow this season, but if things go well there will be more on the snow next year than any other 2021 mountain sled... Unless of course Poo comes out with boost ;)

H
Feb 17, 2019
It’s $3200, for 40hp (for most of us), with warranty.
Ski-doo apparently messed up on the pricing on their website at first. It was listed at $20,599. I checked today and it's now $18,099 ?. It's too bad it doesn't give you the extra 40 hp below 2000'. If you don't ride at high altitude it's not worth the money.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Ski-doo apparently messed up on the pricing on their website at first. It was listed at $20,599. I checked today and it's now $18,099 ?. It's too bad it doesn't give you the extra 40 hp below 2000'. If you don't ride at high altitude it's not worth the money.
The intended market is the Western US and Canada, 6000-12000'.... you low elevation guys need to quit complaining, you too get 165HP... but for 3k less :)

Premium Features