• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Short track Fan Cooled Race Sled turned Mountain

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
This is a few years old now, but I thought I'd let some people get some ideas from what we did with a short track fan cooled race sled.

It started life as my 1999 Z440 Snopro. That would be the fan-cooled version.

I raced it for a few years in the JR Sno-X classes while my dad raced it in the Masters class. Then my sister raced it in the Junior classes after I moved up into Semi-Pro and liquid cooled sleds.

After racing, we put a 121x2 BigHorn track on it for a fun little ripper in the springtime. I was sponsored by RCS during sno-x and had a set of Ti springs for her from early on.

attachment.php

My little brother was 7 or 8 years old when we decided to build him his own "Monster 440" out of the old girl. Keeping in mind that I wanted to put it back to stock once he was done with it. Considering I have all new hood, bellypan, bumpers, seat, etc etc for it. And it's a first year race sled so there's that as well.

First we started with some motor mods. Port and polish, reshaped the heads for more compression, installed a bigger fan housing, bored the carbs, installed UFO's, and ceramic coated the pipe and gutted silencer. I also used an SLP intake from Cat twins for this sled. The airbox was very similar but did have differences. So that was a small hiccup. But works extremely well so no issues.

attachment.php

Then turned to the drivetrain and gundrilled the jackshaft and driveshafts. We had already trued the drivers and had a pretty phenomenal gearing/clutching set-up. Including balancing the clutches and using a Dalton helix and Ti springs.

Chassis wise, new M-series handlebars and Fly Racing risers with ODI grips and RSI elements. The steering post was already moved forward, but we wanted a better seat option for him. The width was the primary concern, so I went about designing a seat that was a bit higher, but mostly narrower. Also we turned to a friend of mine who bent up a tunnel extension for the sled. The hood was already quite light, but we added a few more hood vents and a Cobra windshield. Add some custom graphics and nobody could mistake this sled now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then came the suspension, I used the chromoly front end from a KingCat which included the ACT shocks and Ti springs. This also narrowed the front end up so it was easier for him to handle. Slap on some SLP Powder Pro's and he was styling. The rear end is a combination of parts. 141" Cat rails and M7 arms and shocks with ti torsion springs. Billet wheels and ice scratchers. Wrapped that combo up with a 141x2.25 3P Camo Extreme.

attachment.php

attachment.php

When we started with this sled, it crested 30+hp at the track on our trackdyno. After the mods we saw just south of 50hp at the rear wheels. Of course, getting that much power out of a fancooled sled requires race fuel and EGT's. And when riding at lower elevations, colder spark plugs and richer race fuel mixtures are used.

attachment.php

hard to believe both of these sleds started out as '99 Snopro's. But here they are.
attachment.php

More pictures in my 4M album here: Little Bro's Sled

Premium Features