• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ruffian release.

A
Nov 14, 2017
They have a couple of video's on Facebook.I am not sure if this will work:

Looks like it wheelies really easily, which would be fun at times. I could see it possibly trenching like crazy in the deep stuff. What do you guys think?

It sure does look light!

D
Feb 16, 2009
It looks light, maybe a little too short coupled. Looks like it might send you into an endo of small kickers if your not paying attention. Maybe we can get a few more 9 second clips to justify $20k???

E
Dec 19, 2007
I've built some home made stuff with short wheel base and track forward under the rider. The trenching isn't a problem. With the weight bias on the track it can actually wheelie in powder and still not trench. The problem is getting it to steer under power in deep snow and even in hard/steep snow is a fine line in shock tuning. My builds still had the motor in front of the track(and nothing but the motor, no gas, no radiators) but they were all very light 2 strokes so the cg was probably about the same front to back as the ruffian but the cg is much higher on the ruffian.
It will probably be a hoot but will need careful shock preload set up for different conditions when you don't want it to wheelie. It may also feel squirly at times but really does make for a fun ride if you aren't going mach one. Jump landings are so much better in skethchy snow it's no longer a concern of catching the ski or bending the forks.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
their smaller bike looks like a great starting point for younsters wanting to get out on a snow bike, looks like it runs a little better than the TS small kits I've seen in action.

AnythingOutdoors

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2013
This design looks awful familiar....?

www.gnarbike.net

I'm not sure why these haven't been more popular?
6983d0208cb2c56e477d30a6fd6f731f.jpg
7d8a7b69ddc15859346cd3fc547c77f4.jpg

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

C
Apr 22, 2019
I will point out that there are more videos of the gnarbike in action than there are of the ruffian.
Ruffian needs to step up their online video presentation if they are going to do much.

Chris

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
This came up on my YouTube feed. CBR isn't my thing and this set up anyways seems a lot more like sledding than snowbiking to me. But it is some decent footage of riding the gnar bike to get an idea.

AnythingOutdoors

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2013
The gnar bike on paper seems like the bike eveyone is wanting as a turn key OEM. Close to 100 HP with the panthera, estart and no weight penalty. I would get one if I could justify having a dedicated snow bike. Would like to ride one and then maybe I could justify it.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
For me when I checked I was nearly 8 to 10k and you still needed a donor bike.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

mumur

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
When I checked for complete builds last year gnarbike quoted a range of 13.5 -> 18.5 depending on the base bike. I'm still keeping an eye on them and hoping they're still around when I have the money to get one. I got in cheap with a used bike and used kit. Still cheap even after the first bike blew up :D. I only use these things as dedicated snowbikes though, so something purpose built is what I want.

AnythingOutdoors

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2013
For me when I checked I was nearly 8 to 10k and you still needed a donor bike.

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk
Seems like a great deal if it came with the panthera, which isn't likely. With using your donar bike it seems about the same as buying a new kit for your bike. A new ARO 3 will run close to 8k with fit kit. I wonder how it rides having a track so far forward with direct drive?

Also wonder how much the entire turn key setup is with the panthera engine?

AnythingOutdoors

Lifetime Membership
Jun 17, 2013
When I checked for complete builds last year gnarbike quoted a range of 13.5 -> 18.5 depending on the base bike. I'm still keeping an eye on them and hoping they're still around when I have the money to get one. I got in cheap with a used bike and used kit. Still cheap even after the first bike blew up :D. I only use these things as dedicated snowbikes though, so something purpose built is what I want.
Does that price include complete build with panthera engine?

mumur

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
Does that price include complete build with panthera engine?

The 18.5 was the complete build with a Panthera. That was around the time he was about to run the first Panthera build though, not sure if prices have changed since.

I think the yamaha motor having the intake on the front really helps keep this design compact. (The airbox is where a gas tank normally would be)

personally I end up riding through trees, brush, rocks and such A lot so spring shocks would be preferred. (For durability)

I have zero connection with Ruffian (opposite ends of the states) but it seems like a great progression of the snowbike sport.
Sorry for the late reply, I will be posting some builds in the next month

Premium Features