• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rods and pistons

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
Hey guys, just looking for some real time opinions. I am putting a propane turbo on a 2007 apex. I am debating weather to do pistons and rods. I plan on running 18-22psi boost. This is the first yammy I have built so I am a little green but I know lots of you guys have a lot of experiance with these motors so any advice or tips would be awsome. Thanks guys

Chris

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
Brad said you could go to 21-22 psi safley. I know they have been trying some lower compression pistons and the motors are responding well. I just figured for some added insurance beef things up while they are doing the head shim anyway and save some labour on the job. Just curious on some opinions of guys that have done it and there reasons.

Chris

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
Ya I think I'm going to have brad do them for me I feel better with the added strength . I noticed some threads were the je's for the nytro were having problems is this also the case with apex.
Thanks
Chris

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
If you plan on sticking with 18 to 22 psi i dont feel there is a need for aftermarket pistons from what ive seen.You should be fine. And also what Brad has said to guys that own that kit.Its when you start pushing it running 24 to 26 psi is where we seen problems with a cracked piston on a Nyto in our group.

C

chris79

Mar 3, 2008
Foremost, Alberta
If you plan on sticking with 18 to 22 psi i dont feel there is a need for aftermarket pistons from what ive seen.You should be fine. And also what Brad has said to guys that own that kit.Its when you start pushing it running 24 to 26 psi is where we seen problems with a cracked piston on a Nyto in our group.

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Premium Features