• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! What are my pistons telling me?

T

Troutfrea

Dec 8, 2020
I appreciate that idea. I just looked at the pics I took from the rebuild. The lines all seem correct although I cannot see the bottom ones and say with complete certainty. I do remember using the routing diagram so hopefully everything is correct. I was going to upload a pic but the file size is too large.

T

Troutfrea

Dec 8, 2020
I appreciate that idea. I just looked at the pics I took from the rebuild. The lines all seem correct although I cannot see the bottom ones and say with complete certainty. I do remember using the routing diagram so hopefully everything is correct. I was going to upload a pic but the file size is too large.
Here is a pic I took when doing the install. I can’t see everything but what I can see seems correct

IMG_3539.png

T

Troutfrea

Dec 8, 2020
Well, between work, honey-dos, and kids, I haven’t had much time to work on the sled. I did just check the compression and have 90 pounds in each cylinder so that makes me feel better.
I also ordered a used oil pump and am considering changing it out. How hard is it to replace the oil pump with out pulling the motor? If nothing else I kind of feel inclined to pull the oil pump and hook both the old and new one up to a drill and see how the flows compare.
One other thought, is it possible the oil pump linkage isn’t hooked up properly? More specifically, would it be possible for the lever to be in the wrong position? I don’t see how I could have done this when putting the motor back together but I’m just trying to think of ideas as to why oil delivery is insufficient. Thanks for everyone’s insight.

T

Troutfrea

Dec 8, 2020
One final question, is it safe to run the sled if I premix my fuel? I wouldn’t do this as a permanent solution but may consider doing so while I try to figure out what is going on.

T

Troutfrea

Dec 8, 2020
I started pulling my sled apart today. I was going to pull off the oil pump and compare its flow to a used one I bought. I decided to pull the power valves to take a look at the cylinders and pistons. The PTO side seems a bit milky to me. Does anyone agree? Any thoughts on where the coolant could be coming from? The head is my first guess but I don’t know much about the water jackets in these motors. The cylinder was just recoated by millennium.

IMG_3650.jpeg IMG_3652.jpeg

Premium Features