• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RMK High Beams

S
Dec 29, 2019
Maine
So, my 15 RMK 800 the high beams dont work on. The previous owner had a light bar hard wired into the high beam circuit with an electrical adapter. I disconnected it and the high beams worked for one ride and stopped. Also, if i disconnect the right side headlight they work fine. I thought that the light bar must have messed something up so i bought a new switch and two new headlights, same issue. Anyone have any thoughts what might be causing this, it would seem there must be a short somewhere?

A
Jan 23, 2019
What kind of electrical adapter? Like something that plugged into the stock connector or t-taps? If he used t-taps and you removed them, check for broken wires since they cut into the wire to get a connection. Unplugging the light, you may have just wiggled the wires enough to make a connection and they work

S
Dec 29, 2019
Maine
It one of those water proof inline butt connectors, dont think thats the issue. Im going to pull the wiring out of the hood and inspect it wednesday, doesnt make sense if the swtich is getting power, should go to high or low and it a brand new switch. Damn electrical gremlins.

A
Jan 23, 2019
I would check the wiring where he spliced into it. Make sure there aren't any connections crossed. I remember reading awhile back that people were having problems running led lights because they weren't drawing enough amps so people started installing resistors with them. Can't remember if it caused damage to the regulator like deleting the headlights. Might look into that

S
Dec 29, 2019
Maine
Maybe i should just install a bigger led light bar that is actually bright??? I took it off in the first place because I put on a tall windsheild and the light bar was behind it.

S
Dec 29, 2019
Maine
Well i took all the wiring out today and tested it. Wiring harness in the hood is fine .01 ohms resitance from hood plug to both high beam connectors. Also tested from switch to hood connector also fine .1 ohms resistance, doesnt make sense to me. Low beams are fine so the switch is difintely getting power and the circuit tests fine to the lights so they should at least be like on a little bit. Looked all the hood harnesess and main harness over and didnt really see anything out of the ordinary. I will have to look into testing the regulator next i guess. Also the high beams dont work with one bulb disconnected now. If you were going to put that resistor in would it be before the switch or after it?

S
Dec 29, 2019
Maine
Update!!! Fixed!!! It would appear you were right, i cut out the connector where it was spliced and put in a new connector and pigtail if i want to hook up a led and it works now!!!

Premium Features