• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding 2014 M8000 162" Sno Pro Mod Sleds

S

sketch96

Dec 23, 2011
We have the 2014s with the 162 track and mine has the HPS can and cutler adj weights. I have about 200 miles on now.

This past weekend we were at about 4000 ft and in fairly deep snow with a hard crust on top,so the sleds were working pretty hard. At WOT I was pulling 8430! I have the weights set at about 69grams with the weight installed more towards the heel. I was suprised at how many RPM I was pulling.

We need to be at least 70gram or slghtly more. The stock setup from the factory is for 6000-9000ft. 68gram is not weight down at lower altitudes. We havent changed anything else with the stock setup.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Any updates?

Waiting for snow. Will be riding about 4-6K with 73 cat weights in mine next time everything else stock. We will be adding some weight to the MDS in the green sled as well. Not sure exactly what we have in there but going to add about 2-3 grams as it is too light too.

Woody

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Update

Got out for the third time today...Mother Nature is not treating us well here in Washington. We are missing the most important feature for deep snow testing...the deep snow.

So I have tested with 68,70, and now 73 gram weights and everything else stock in the clutches at 4000-6000 feet. Sled ran great so these are probably the weights I will leave in. If I were riding any higher 71.5s would be my choice. Peak RPM is around 8150-8200.

I gave several demo rides on my sled and the feedback was excellent.

We had 4 Stage III 13-14 M8s and 1 2013 Stage II they all ran great. They sure do make a very consistent product as I rode all 5 sleds back to back. We did not have a stocker today but there is a NOTICEABLE improvement from Stage II to III. The Stage II rider will add the porting for next season...can't have any down time now in case is SNOWS!!!

The other change I made was to install a ROX 2" pivoting riser and rotate forward. Love it.

Woody

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Sure Woody - just after I stuck my 71.5's in !! Should have waited on you a little longer I guess!!

Snow must have really sucked - no pics......

Got out for the third time today...Mother Nature is not treating us well here in Washington. We are missing the most important feature for deep snow testing...the deep snow.

So I have tested with 68,70, and now 73 gram weights and everything else stock in the clutches at 4000-6000 feet. Sled ran great so these are probably the weights I will leave in. If I were riding any higher 71.5s would be my choice. Peak RPM is around 8150-8200.

I gave several demo rides on my sled and the feedback was excellent.

We had 4 Stage III 13-14 M8s and 1 2013 Stage II they all ran great. They sure do make a very consistent product as I rode all 5 sleds back to back. We did not have a stocker today but there is a NOTICEABLE improvement from Stage II to III. The Stage II rider will add the porting for next season...can't have any down time now in case is SNOWS!!!

The other change I made was to install a ROX 2" pivoting riser and rotate forward. Love it.

Woody

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Sure Woody - just after I stuck my 71.5's in !! Should have waited on you a little longer I guess!!

Snow must have really sucked - no pics......

I would ride it with the 71.5s first. We had a set with us but even the sleds with the 68s pulled good. Since we did not have the deep snow or long pull we didn't try them.

We couldn't run the Widowmaker cause of visibility so we played on Union Bay hill and it is too short for real good pull. I have a couple of pics from the parking lot lol. It was cool to ride all 5 sleds back to back and see such consistency.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I ran the short black allen head with two washers in the tip on my mds at 4-6500 and it ran like a raped ape. Slp 120-340 spring. Anyone having trouble with the mapping up high? Sled runs great at lower montana elevations, but fairly chitty up high in colorado. Anything above 10k and im not real impressed with the mapping. The bottom end is fat and the throttle response is noticeably worse than a stocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Awesome Ride Today

Almost 2 months after our first ride we got to ride in some real snow. Visibility was poor so we spent the day in the trees. Very happy with the performance of the sleds. They are working really well and the combination of power and lightweight is super fun. The 2014 clutching and gearing is keeping the temps much cooler than before. Rear suspension works great sleds get up on top and the front end stays down. Fuel gauge seems to work better too. Hopefully the snow just keeps coming and we can really put them to the test.

Jason:

Bret on a new stocker:

It's my camera phone best I can do
Woody

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
What are you doing to keep the front end down? I'm skis to the sky all day when getting on her.

Is your sled a 2014? The 2014 IMO gets up on the snow better ie. less trenching as well as keeps the front end down better than previous years. The main reason I think is the new mounting of the rear skid. I also run a 2" ROX riser rotated forward so I can get way forward when climbing.

Thanks,
Woody

justpinit907

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Interior, Alaska
Is your sled a 2014? The 2014 IMO gets up on the snow better ie. less trenching as well as keeps the front end down better than previous years. The main reason I think is the new mounting of the rear skid. I also run a 2" ROX riser rotated forward so I can get way forward when climbing.

Thanks,
Woody

No, it's not. It's just a boring ol' stocker 2013. Not a high fallutin' ride like yours. Some day though! :)

This thing trenches like a damned excavator!

P

Pandoras Box

Aug 1, 2011
Have you had any issues with fine snow in the BDX airbox? I do each ride, checked all screens, their on tight, no rips or tears. Hood is mounted correct.... Does anyone make a k&N style filter to run in the airbox to keep moisture out of the motor??

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Mbms, what do you think about running that d&d intake along with the bdx setup? I get a little snow in my intake too. It is TERRIBLE when the sled gets towed, like an inch of snow on the bottom of the intake. Not sure how its getting in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
No, it's not. It's just a boring ol' stocker 2013. Not a high fallutin' ride like yours. Some day though! :)

This thing trenches like a damned excavator!

There are as many different opinions on where to mount the suspension in these as how to clutch them. I am not sure the best route to go. I have ridden many 2012 and 2013 and thought they did not "pop up on the snow" as well as they should. The 2013 went way better cause the track was bigger. After riding the 2014 for 175 miles I have to think getting your skid as close to 2014 position would help. This is my recommendation after riding 2013 and 2014 back to back in deep snow on Sunday. I do wish they had a longer front arm shock.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Have you had any issues with fine snow in the BDX airbox? I do each ride, checked all screens, their on tight, no rips or tears. Hood is mounted correct.... Does anyone make a k&N style filter to run in the airbox to keep moisture out of the motor??

Mbms, what do you think about running that d&d intake along with the bdx setup? I get a little snow in my intake too. It is TERRIBLE when the sled gets towed, like an inch of snow on the bottom of the intake. Not sure how its getting in there.

I can't say about the snow as I did not look at the sled until it would have been melted. Our snow is not very powdery so we may not have the same issues. Our sleds had no issues riding in over the hood snow all day. I don't see why the K&N would not work in conjunction.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Wow, I just looked at my last post...one month ago. I have not rode my sled since Jan 14. The lack of snow and abundance of ice was not doing it for me. Until today that is!!! We have been getting pounded for a week so today Klimbing Kitty and I went for a rip. Not blue bird by any means but we could see. Avalanche danger super high so boondocking in the trees was the order of the day. Not too many people up there today but gave some demo rides. Several of the test riders were on 2013 and 2014 SLP Stage III M8s and they commented on how much more power my sled had. I told them it has the same power just another 30lbs lighter. Sled ran awesome...I could not be happier with it..and I have had some bad a** sleds before this one. Here is a photo from today and may have some go pro from KK too.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
...i had the same snow in the air box problem....solved it by taking two strips of black duct tape and running them down the front of the air intake that goes from the very front of the hood, the pointy part, down and back, i guess you'd call it the chin of the hood, which effectively blocks all air and the snow that comes in with it from coming in where the skis blast it, and also plowing thru drifts etc.....i would guess i blocked 95% of the snow, but it still has more air intake than it needs..:face-icon-small-hap

A
Jan 16, 2008
...i had the same snow in the air box problem....solved it by taking two strips of black duct tape and running them down the front of the air intake that goes from the very front of the hood, the pointy part, down and back, i guess you'd call it the chin of the hood, which effectively blocks all air and the snow that comes in with it from coming in where the skis blast it, and also plowing thru drifts etc.....i would guess i blocked 95% of the snow, but it still has more air intake than it needs..:face-icon-small-hap

can you post a pic?

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Another thing that you might want to do is take your hood off and lay it upside down on your seat and then take a bright trouble light and hold it on the back of the bdx intake where the plastic block off plate is. Now look in the very front of the hood through the front frog skin and look at all of the light coming through. Get yourself some black silicone and seal all of the spots you can see light coming through. It's still a good idea to get the frog skins for the hood that seal off the transition point from the black center section of your hood to your colored panels. When you pull your hood off and have it upside down you will be able to see the big slits that just funnel snow right in. This is on the hood not the side panels. The side panel on the exhaust side has a frog skin for it too. I have put those on the inside and the outside of the side panels. All of the frog skins are available through Cat. If you go to Country Cat and type in frog skins for your year you will find them.

Premium Features