• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding 2014 M8000 162" Sno Pro Mod Sleds

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Today we got a chance to ride a couple of the 2014 M8000 162" Sno Pro mods we built this fall. The sleds are set up very similar to the BD-X Pro-Lite but we are using SLP Stage III Performance Edition Package for power. Both sleds ran excellent especially after the 20 mile mark. Snow conditions were considerably better than we expected, and as usual the break in road ride turned in to a little more. A couple of things we noticed were the new suspension location seemed to work excellent. The attitude climbing was great with a light front end but good forward momentum and no excess front end lift. The new brake master cylinder provides considerably better feel.

We also had with us a very nice running 2013 M8 162" Sno Pro all stock except for SLP Stage II kit. The Stage II sled Pipe, PCV, and SLP high flow intake runs superb. Very smooth and close to stock sound levels. The combination of weight loss and pull and go performance should put this set up high on the list of many Pro Climb owners.

Please feel free to post up any comments or questions on these sleds.

Thanks,
Woody

Jason breaking in his sled:

Woody putting around

Dougie and his stage II M8

Great conditions today

Back at the truck

Last edited:

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
What do you think of the BDX front end ? And how about the slp stage III over the stage II is it worth the $600 ?

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
What do you think of the BDX front end ? And how about the slp stage III over the stage II is it worth the $600 ?

Need more time to compare the front ends in real deep conditions. We will have a 2014 M8000 with just the BD-X front end and the Stage III engine package, so it may be easier to compare to a stock one since ours are 50lbs lighter than stock. The SLP stage III is for sure worth it. It builds right off of Stage II so it can be added at any time. We have been using this engine package since 2011 and found it to be a great combo for weight loss and added performance with no change in fuel or maintenance requirements. We have between the stage II and Stage III Proclimb 800s over 20 out running without a single failure to date. One of our customers is changing top end just because at around 4500 miles. There are great kits out there and some may be faster but this is a great package and it is safe for most everyone as long as it is installed correctly.

Woody

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
How did SLP's mapping work with the bdx intake? What are you running for clutching?

I will report on my sled. Stock Arctic Cat clutching for 6-9K. Early in the day I was thinking I needed weight but when we settled in at 5500 feet it was very close. Running 91 octane 10% ethanol fuel mixed at 32:1. Seemed a little funky for the first 20 miles and then ran great for the rest of the day. On the way out I tried to make it bog or misfire but could not. Put on 35 miles total. We will validate again next weekend. The green sled ran very well, but had a couple hiccups on and off in the tight woods, but I think it is more clutching than fuel map as the engagement is a bit lower than mine. It has MDS weights with a Polaris 120/340 spring. We used the set up we had in last year so I can't say exactly how the weights are loaded but may take some weight out of the tip.

68 Gram weights (might try 70s)
Yellow/White
36 helix
stock black blue secondary spring

Last edited:

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
How loud is the intake with the headlight delete?

It is considerably louder than stock. It is much quieter overall set up than the BMP 900 used in the Pro-Lite. The BMP 900 ran great but the exhaust system...mainly the muffler does not have a refined sound like the SLP system. We were riding them for a while thinking this is not bad at all until we rode the Stage II sled. Not as fast but much quieter. The hood set up without the light is a full 10lb loss. The exhaust over 20 and the oil delete almost 10. 40 lbs right off the nose...had to do it. It is most noticeable in a climb leaning over the front with the loud handle fully engaged.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Im curious of how the BDX hood works with the SLP map.........
\I have the stage 3 kit on mine love it...
got the MDS weights rocking with the Tied setup!
Installed the intake kit and i think its a little hokey...

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Im curious of how the BDX hood works with the SLP map.........
\I have the stage 3 kit on mine love it...
got the MDS weights rocking with the Tied setup!
Installed the intake kit and i think its a little hokey...

See above post about it. I know many are wondering about this and I don't want to say it works correctly without more testing. It felt real good with the stock clutching in my sled. I want to test in over the hood snow with more technical on off throttle situation. I had a couple hesitations until about 20 miles on the sled and then never again. Jason said he had a bog a few times during the day. He has MDS weights and a Polaris 120/340 spring and his engagement a little lower. We are going to make some changes to his and see if it changes this. I was thinking about some adjustments to mine as we were breaking it in and going up the logging roads. Once we got to around 5500 feet it seemed spot on in clutching and the engine ran great. I don't think I will change anything on mine and ride it again for verification.

As far as the new SLP intake kit we have installed several and Doug's sled was the first one I rode with it on. It took them 2 model years to come out with it so I believe it was tested a lot. Any sled we have put 100% SLP package on with no change to their combos it rips.

Woody

BLIJAS

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
BELLINGHAM, WA
gas tank

New tank is awesome, you can stick the nozzle in full throttle now! Sled felt great climbing, even though Woody was holding me up putting around! :face-icon-small-hap

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Nice couple of builds to follow this year. Great to see them hit the snow and outstanding feedback on your mod selections. Appreciate this!

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Second Ride

Second ride we put on another 30 miles so we are sitting at about 60 miles each. Really need a big storm or two but we had fun anyway. Sleds ran great...we are going to need some more clutch weight...we like that. We really want to get a feel for the engine and chassis setting in some deep snow but going to have to wait.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
What kind of rpm are you seeing out of the stage 3.
Thx

We are working on clutching but need to test in our normal deeper and heavier snow. For us we are shooting for 8250ish at 4500-6500K elevation. Right now they are pulling more weight than our similar 2013 set ups but the snow is not really pulling on the sled very hard.

Woody

Premium Features