• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reverse

L
Dec 5, 2022
france
Hi,

I have the reverse gear which does not engage when I press the button, the engine cuts out but does not restart, my compression is good. I wanted to know how the reverse gear works on this model M8000 sno pro LTD ES 2014 without electric starter.
There is nothing on the exploded view diagrams

thanks in advance

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
When you press the reverse button, the engine will die briefly then start running backwards. It's all electrical. If it dies but doesn't restart on it's own, try giving the throttle a little blip right after you hit the button. New spark plugs may help. I put a cvtech primary clutch on my 13 m8 ltd, and it happens frequently now. I'm told it's because the clutch is significantly lighter

L
Dec 5, 2022
france
if I understand correctly, when I press the button, it opens the starter relay contact, so the engine cuts out quickly, and the ECU gives the information to the ignition to run the engine in reverse ?
THANKS

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
It shouldn't have anything to do with the electric start system. It's all controlled by the ECU with the ignition system. No additional hard parts to see on any diagrams. When you push the button the computer starts retarding the ignition timing until the engine basically dies, then fires it again at just the right moment to make the engine run in reverse.

If it's not re-starting there may be some other issue. Spark plugs/boots, belt too tight, bad gas, bad reeds, etc. Basically anything that could cause hard starting or poor running.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Low compression will also cause system to not work consistently. Belt too tight is first thing I would check.

L
Dec 5, 2022
france
ok thank you for the explanation, I wanted to understand how it works, I was looking for a coil on the stator for timing a the reverse gear ignition, but according to the diagrams there is none. THANKS

Premium Features