• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Regulator overheating?

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I'm wondering how many people have experienced overheating the regulator on there 850?
Sled won't start when its warm. Have to let it cool down for 20 minutes. Then fires right up. I have heard of a couple cases. just curious
Thanks

Are you sure the sled isn't just flooding out? Next time it does it:
1. unplug the diagnostic power plug that says "connect to run" above primary clutch.
2. pull cord with key on, tether in, kill switch in "run" position

Motor should pop like its going to run-- running out the fuel

Re-connect the plug then sled should start/ run like normal.

D
Nov 28, 2010
Yes voltage regulator overheats !
way too close to pipe / muffler
And not a lot air moving thru area to cool it down Poor location for reg
I made a deflection plate out of aluminum battery box cover I had laying around and fab it to block heat to reg

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Huh, I wonder if this is what's been happening to my riding partner's 2020 850?

It's very intermittent, and once happened when it was cold where it just wouldn't start after about 50 pulls.

Usually it starts and runs fine, then later won't restart. So far it's been possible to restart after 10-15' while he has panels off scratching head and checking connections, and then finally restarts. Has to be something electrical or throttle positioning sensor related. This thread has me thinking it could be the regulator.

Any other recommendations on how to remedy the regulator overheat item to at least rule that issue out?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have seen at least 3 fuel pump problems in 2020. My buddy's was screaming when hot and sled died once. Lucky it restarted. Went to the dealer and they were going to rob one from a floor model sled and discovered another employee already robbed it for a different customer. My buddy got one ordered in and by the end of the season that one was acting up too, making a terrible whine when warm.

Not saying this is the problem as his would always start but as the noise got worse the longer it ran I wouldn't be surprised if its getting hot.

Premium Features