• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quietest snow check ever

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My dealer was allocated 5 less total sleds than they sold last year. They got more boost, 5 9rs, 1 650 and even though they say 5 you don't get what you want. They tell them how many 155s and 165s. Only 4 7s guages in whole allotment. 5 9rs but you cant necessarily get what you want as far as guage or track. Seems like they dictated between pro and kaos but cant remember. Sombody please get on here and make a covid excuse and tell me how lucky we are to even get a sled.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That’s correct, they broke down allocation by engine, Khaos/pro and track size. Worked out to a good/reasonable model mix…but I imagine if a store sold a low volume of mtn sleds, they are going to see a lot of 1’s.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It is what it is but at least doo let you order what you wanted. They didn't dictate track length. They allowed you to order what you wanted until they run out. They did run out of big gauges and did limit dealer numbers. I ordered a re shredder turbo in the size i wanted

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It makes zero sense how polaris did this ****, 4 dealerships in Alaska that i checked and not 1 was allotted a 163 or 165 9R. Why would polaris not just put an allotment on 9R's, boosts, and khaos. Why are they dictating track length?
Send me a kaos 155 9r and I'll send you a kaos 165 9r. Gotta have 7s

Jaysore3

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 1, 2022
Idaho
It makes zero sense how polaris did this ****, 4 dealerships in Alaska that i checked and not 1 was allotted a 163 or 165 9R. Why would polaris not just put an allotment on 9R's, boosts, and khaos. Why are they dictating track length?
They claimed that they had bought enough material to do x amount of sleds. So they had to break that up for dealers. I'm assuming they did it cause lots of guys in my area wanted boost but guys in the midwest were buying them up to ride twice a year.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
......And we’re not getting any 9R 165s.” I was bummed, but it’s all good, as they allowed me to change to a 155.....
I built a 2022 Khaos Boost 165 out of a 155 Slash tunnel (only size available in 22)-- After a season of riding, still stoked on the super stubby 155 tunnel and 165 track combo.
Congrats on your new sled!

C
Nov 29, 2008
Used sleds go for more than new. (Almost.) Unless things change in the world, that may never change. When I can sell a year old 900 mile sled for $250 less than I purchased it for........something is wrong. And when people are buying a new one now (allotments) they know that they own gold, and price it accordingly. Allotments have been cut close to 75% in some cases. There won't be a good deal on a used Polaris for a long time. Unless you go older, that does make sense. But the guys that are paying premium for new are going to want premium for used.
Supply vs demand .. sure but there are deals to be had. It's the OEMs job to sell new stuff so guess what - they hype the $hit out if it. New & Improved. No doubt that there are some improvements but for most buyers they're not close to using the abilities of their last model year sled.
There's still deals to be had on used - just have to be patient ...

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I noticed they charge for color now. As you added color, painted tunnel , rails/spindles the price keeps going up. I configured the same sled with different options and went anywhere from $17k to $22k

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Colors and paint have been add-on's during snowcheck for years. Same price this year as last. Not that it means anything - beyond Boost and 9R, snowcheck builds are pretty meaningless, just marketing eye candy.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Part of that is MY FAULT.
Ended up with a bunch of Medical Issues that have drawn me AWAY from SnoWest over the last week, and I just wasn't able to prepare all the materials like I did for SkiDoo.
So are we going to get the nice color pics and stuff for Polaris or are you not going to bother because it's doowest?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Poo's reaction to being unable to deliver 22's and getting kicked in the rear by po'ed snowcheckers who still don't have their sleds is - dramatically reduce snowcheck for non-flagship sleds, at least for the deep snow segment. They flexed the allocations to dealers up to the last minute. They had all the web infrastructure updated for 23 for an open snowcheck, just don't need most of it. 23 marketing and media will continue to hype the Boost and 9R, and ignore the rest of the market. We all know that few can now ride either sled to their capability.

The big brains at Poo have low/no confidence in the ability of their supply chain to deliver and their ability to manage it. Just saying. Innovation rules, not just product, but also capability to deliver, identify constraints early, and adapt. We all see the build quality and R&D to production issues, that's another topic. Love the product when it works, but Poos ability to deliver isn't getting better, and pumping out handfuls of 23 Boosts and 9Rs on time, assuming they actually do it, is misdirection. A quiet snowcheck only helps them avoid their reality.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
It’s about numbers. If you have 2000 orders for the top model and 500 for the smaller model and 80% delivery rate on each is part of the equation, but profit per unit is another. The mid and lower end are price point driven and generally less profitable in any industry. The top tier purchases is often driven by people who want the best, biggest fastest, costs more and nets more profit. If your ability to build a set number of units regardless if top tier, mid tier, and lower tier wouldn’t you one expect a business to produce the highest profit and demand? No offense to those that want mid/low tier products, but a business exists to make money. They are not the march of dimes. Yeah it sucks, but maybe it will give the m a chance to r&d something really cool in the future for those other tiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I'm guessing that instead of waiting to see what they need to order, many of the parts have already been ordered in an attempt to get ahead of supply chain delays.

They know they can only get x amount of 7s displays by a certain point (November?) so they're limited.

I thought I heard tracks were backordered last year so they probably ordered most of them already too, hence the track length specific allocations.

Just a theory I had, but the release video did mention they're starting their ordering much earlier than normal.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
You're on it. The deep snow build schedule is already set for most of the 23 schedule, with currently known constraints already ordered. Glass half full or empty, they are building what they think they can without tarnishing the brand more - and leaving volume on the table for next year or the other OEMs.

Reality is - in almost every manufacturing business, 75% of unit profitability is generated by 25% of the product line - when all the direct and indirect costs of R&D, marketing, sales, engineering, quality, warranty, and replacement part profitability, etc., are traced to the unit. The 25% of the product line that drives the 75% is seldom the flagship, highly marketed, limited build units - it's almost always the higher volume mainstream units that use common, well proven components and processes, but are not as sexy. Sexy is expensive. Just the way it is in dozens of mfg industries. Sexy sells, is great for marketing and media, most most profitable in the longer-term, not. Quiet snowcheck is the plan. Protect and advance the brand.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
You're on it. The deep snow build schedule is already set for most of the 23 schedule, with currently known constraints already ordered. Glass half full or empty, they are building what they think they can without tarnishing the brand more - and leaving volume on the table for next year or the other OEMs.

Reality is - in almost every manufacturing business, 75% of unit profitability is generated by 25% of the product line - when all the direct and indirect costs of R&D, marketing, sales, engineering, quality, warranty, and replacement part profitability, etc., are traced to the unit. The 25% of the product line that drives the 75% is seldom the flagship, highly marketed, limited build units - it's almost always the higher volume mainstream units that use common, well proven components and processes, but are not as sexy. Sexy is expensive. Just the way it is in dozens of mfg industries. Sexy sells, is great for marketing and media, most most profitable in the longer-term, not. Quiet snowcheck is the plan. Protect and advance the brand.
The difference is they bumped prices way up this year.

Premium Features