• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Some more changes to the forum

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
I
Jan 4, 2008
Palmer AK.
Sounds like Dvamit. Knows his #'s The cost is not that big of a issue to me But I do understand that they are going to line there pockets also. I just think that some of the options coming out are going to be nice to have. Like a lot of riders on this site i like to ride the mountains and have lost friends to those same mountains in the past. Option 17 on there list seems to be worth the money to me. And yes I have spoke with my work already and explained that if we have a Avalanche that I will be leaving work with my gear and going to help. I Pray that this wont happen but we all know sh_t happens. The option states that they will send a text to all users in that area that are snowest members. THAT IN ITS SELF IS WORTH $ 15.00 a year. just my opinion.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
I was the Director of IT for a huge manufacturing company and I can tell you that I ran the entire company on a budget far below what their potential income is for this site. That included a full T1 and a dedicated webserver with all the fixen's. I also had 7 other servers running MS-SQL and a host of other enterprise applications. If you want to swallow that the membership will just cover cost then please do so but I can tell you there is profit in them there numbers.. a lot of profit if this is to only cover the cost of upgrades. A full T1 through Verizon is now less then $1,000.00 per month.

With all that said I will probably pay for one year but after that.... we shall see.

I guess my point is this, if you want to make money off a site then tell me that you want to do so but don't try and sell me that it takes potentially $300,000 per year to run a site that is probably running on a Free BSD using free forum software on a server that costs $7,000 with a monthly T1 fee of $800.00 per month..

Doug, I think you hit the nail on the head....the math doesnt add up to me either. I say cut the usless crap slowing down the server and keep her rolling for free. Although 15 bucks inst terrible but times that by the number of members and your talking serious bucks!!! In times like these where were getting nickle and dimed to death at the fastest rate EVER, free means a LOT!!! This forum has been very useful for many reasons. Id hate to see it go down hill.

D

DVarmit

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 11, 2008
Alaska
Yup, I have no problem with someone wanting to make a buck. What I do have a problem with is telling me that you need potentially $300,000 per year to run a $20,000 per year operation..

Apparently they have adopted the Obama/Pelosi/Reid mentality.. LOL :D

Y

Yajustneverknow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 1, 2009
www.teamcc.com
It's not the money that is at issue
It Snowest trying to make a buck on everyone's knowledge.
HCS was a nice enough place just to hang if you wanted to talk, show pics
Seems like AK is different from everywhere else as we help each other.

Sounds like Dvamit. Knows his #'s The cost is not that big of a issue to me But I do understand that they are going to line there pockets also. I just think that some of the options coming out are going to be nice to have. Like a lot of riders on this site i like to ride the mountains and have lost friends to those same mountains in the past. Option 17 on there list seems to be worth the money to me. And yes I have spoke with my work already and explained that if we have a Avalanche that I will be leaving work with my gear and going to help. I Pray that this wont happen but we all know sh_t happens. The option states that they will send a text to all users in that area that are snowest members. THAT IN ITS SELF IS WORTH $ 15.00 a year. just my opinion.
[/I]

I think this is second time someone mentioned how useful #17 will be... I already wrote this in another thread but it never hurts to repeat this:
In case you witness an avalanche and know that someone is under, YOU ARE THE HELP! Do not leave, do not spend time texting friends and immediately start the rescue!!!! Immediately means AFTER you make a plan with other rescuers and AFTER YOU MAKE SURE there is NO danger on the slopes above to YOU!!! You will not be able to save anybody if you get caught yourselves....
The burried person(s) have 15-30 minutes to live (if they are not injured or dead already), so the rescuers have to be FAST.
After few hours it's usually different story (not always!!! Keep on searching). By then someone usually notifies the rangers, troopers, etc and maybe Snowest somehow finds out.... Well by that time, friends already know. It would be hours before additional people show up at the scene.....
What I am trying to write here is that getting a text message from snowest will NOT save anybodys' life.....

As far as the fee goes, I am having hard time deciding.... It's not the $15 I would save, it would be all the extra hours of free time I would suddenly have every week. This might be one way for me to fight the snowest addiction :beer;

Premium Features