• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick drive belt delam

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I towed a sled back 15 miles that had lost all the teeth on the quick drive belt. Somehow a branch 10"x2.5" worked it's way into the engine compartment without damaging the plastics and brought the days ride to an end. A spare QD belt is something I never thought of carrying.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

PXL_20230118_185258608.jpg PXL_20230118_185306365.jpg

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Well if I hit a branch (more likely a tree) that did that much damage to the pipe, I would stop and give the old sled the once over. I don't think a branch "worked" it's way in. I think someone crashed into a tree and it broke the spring off the pipe. Are you sure the missing spring didn't do that? I have a hard time thinking a piece of wood did that. The stuff people post ?

I'm actually waiting for 3 or 4 of you to tell him his brakes got hot. ? Quit riding with your damn finger on the brake!

Last edited:

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Well if I hit a branch (more likely a tree) that did that much damage to the pipe, I would stop and give the old sled the once over. I don't think a branch "worked" it's way in. I think someone crashed into a tree and it broke the spring off the pipe. Are you sure the missing spring didn't do that? I have a hard time thinking a piece of wood did that. The stuff people post ?

The rider never felt it. It's possible the spring did the damage but the remainder of scraped belt was on the stick.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I always carry a spare QD belt. I recommend all my riding buddies do as well. Ending a day, towing a sled out instead of a 15 minute fix (with a spare QD belt) is a bummer

My initial plan was to swap a belt off another sled to get it back on the trail. We were able to pack out a trail and pull a small slope to get on a more reasonable way back. A spare QD belt is now on the list of items to carry.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Are you sure he wasn’t riding the brake? We’ve been down this road already.

I've ridden with this guy before. Brakes aren't something I've seen him use much. This happened on a lake in a hard left side turn.

He does take some larger airs than I'm willing to hit. It's possible he'd been damaging the belt over the season and it let loose when the stick or spring made contact.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I've ridden with this guy before. Brakes aren't something I've seen him use much. This happened on a lake in a hard left side turn.

He does take some larger airs than I'm willing to hit. It's possible he'd been damaging the belt over the season and it let loose when the stick or spring made contact.

He hit a branch on a lake?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I'm assuming the branch came in earlier and the hard left side turn put the spring into the drive belt. He doesn't have a muff pot so that side panel never gets opened. It's possible that branch was in there for a couple rides.

Ok, I’m now tracking. Dude likes to jump, doesn’t use his brake much, doesn’t do maintenance checks after hitting branches that damage pipes, and doesn’t have a muff pot. Sounds like a sender.

I’ve been where you’re at.

K
Apr 12, 2018
chadly can you even ride or do you just talk on snow west.
He's the best rider on all of sno west. And he will tell you so. I did learn something though. Don't turn your Polaris a hard left or the belt blows. I'm gonna go weld a stop on all my buddies poos so they can't turn left now. Thanks Chadley the almighty.

Last edited:
Premium Features