• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice forming around quick drive bottom sprocket.

Steep&DeepRider

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2007
Austin, MN
I read all the horror stories of foreign material rubbing against quick drive sprocket or belt, what I experienced last week was in deep pow. If the sled rests long enough especially when it's super cold out you'll get water pooling up and eventually ice where the bottom sprocket is. Had an awful noise, stopped and had 1/2" ice cube froze around bottom sprocket.
I kicked the bulkhead underneath to break the ice loose and then I was fine. I've also noticed you can see daylight between the plastic and the bulkhead right near QD. I'm looking for options on sealing more of the vents up from getting snow under the hood, but my question is - what are you guys doing to remedy some of this especially in riding in deep Pow conditions??
TIA

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
Drill a hole below the quick drive pulley so when the snow turns to water it drains out the hole. All those gaps in the belly pan also do more good than harm by letting water drain out.

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Mine done the same. Huge gap and a terrible squealing sound when there was a build up of snow and ice. When I hauled it off the truck I didn't know what was happening. Biggest gap I've ever seen.
I was wondering the same. Fill it or partially fill it? Leaving a gap at the lowest part to allow water to drain?
IMG_4569.jpg

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Snow-mo-bile .... not a No-snow-mo-bile. Run it. Snow's gonna get in somewhere or you're doing it wrong.

Pick the track up and drop it and/or give it a good wiggle before setting off after eating yer lunch/nuking 2 Old Millys

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
I decided to partially fill in the QD side. Left a gap at the lowest point so water can run out. About 2 inches wide. Went for a ride today, and it drained out perfectly. Snow will get in everywhere on these RMKs. The open vents everywhere. Is what it is.

843D090C-695D-4C4E-9157-BDD740E6CA1C.jpeg

Steep&DeepRider

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2007
Austin, MN
I decided to partially fill in the QD side. Left a gap at the lowest point so water can run out. About 2 inches wide. Went for a ride today, and it drained out perfectly. Snow will get in everywhere on these RMKs. The open vents everywhere. Is what it is.
What I plan on doing too...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Its been the same for quite a while. Its worse now with the QD2 since the bottom sprocket is much bigger than the QD1. Just be aware of it and clean the snow/ice out before you ride.

Premium Features