• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick drive bearing replacement without removing housing

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
Is it possible to replace the quick drive bearings without separating the housing from the tunnel? I’d like to avoid re-applying the Lord 406 adhesive if possible…

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I did the lower one last weekend, it wasn't bad. Pulled skid and driveshaft, had to knock it out from inside the tunnel. It broke apart so took some work, but we got it out. Whole job took around 3 hours and I'd never done it before.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had to buy an internal bearing puller for my wheelbarrow that could keep you from beating the bearing out from the inside. Pull the skid and driveshaft of course, remove snap rings and pull the bearing out.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Heat the backing plate around the bearing so it expands. Bearing will come out and go back in much easier. Can’t remember if the backing plate is aluminum or magnesium on the axys. Mag can cause a pretty good fire if you heat with a torch, so use a heat gun.

T

tb123

Oct 27, 2023
MT
I would be afraid to heat the holder without replacing the adhesive as it softens and separates from the aluminum easily....

Thanks for everyone's input. I was able to easily pound the bearings out from the inside. The interference fit was pretty light. I was afraid to do this because the Polaris cast bulkheads are weak, but luckily I didn't crack anything!

Premium Features