• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garage Roof Replacement

Hi,

We own an ex council property. Our neighbour's property is owned by the local housing association.

We have had a letter from the housing association saying that they are replacing all of the garage roofs in the road as they are made from asbestos which they claim is disintegrating. As the garage is a twin garage with half on our property and the other half on our neighbours side, they say that the whole roof will have to be replaced as it is not possible to do just half the roof and would like our permission to do the work. It does however come with a sting. They want us to pay £2850 for this work to be done. My feeling is that this is rather on the high side. The letter uses the words "We believe these costs are competitive".

What would happen if I say no and do not give them permission to do the work? Owners of other properties who received the letters are saying no. Does anyone have any experience of this?

The current roof is corrugated asbestos sheeting, and the type of garage is a Marley prefab concrete build. Breakdown of costs is £350 for asbestos removal and £2500 for roof replacement. Roofing product they wish to use - Kingspan metal systems profiled interlocking rib roof.

Thanks

Hi,

We own an ex council property. Our neighbour's property is owned by the local housing association.

We have had a letter from the housing association saying that they are replacing all of the garage roofs in the road as they are made from asbestos which they claim is disintegrating. As the garage is a twin garage with half on our property and the other half on our neighbours side, they say that the whole roof will have to be replaced as it is not possible to do just half the roof and would like our permission to do the work. It does however come with a sting. They want us to pay £2850 for this work to be done. My feeling is that this is rather on the high side. The letter uses the words "We believe these costs are competitive".

What would happen if I say no and do not give them permission to do the work? Owners of other properties who received the letters are saying no. Does anyone have any experience of this?

The current roof is corrugated asbestos sheeting, and the type of garage is a Marley prefab concrete build. Breakdown of costs is £350 for asbestos removal and £2500 for roof replacement. Roofing product they wish to use - Kingspan metal systems profiled interlocking rib roof.
https://restonroof.com/vienna-va.php
Thanks
no response

J
Jan 7, 2023
Texas
Hi,

Thanks

?

Premium Features