• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for Dodge Mega-Cab 5.9 cummins owners

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
I have a 2006 Dodge 2500 Mega-Cab with the 5.9 cummins. It has a 6 inch lift kit and 20 inch wheels. My tires are 275/65/20.
My question to others with Mega-Cab's is what kind of mileage are you seeing?
I have a banks cold air intake with banks cat back exhaust. The best I have ever seen is 17 mpg empty driving like a grandma and 10 mpg towing my 25 foot enclosed trailer. The trailer weighs somewhere around 6500-7000 lbs loaded. On the highway I stay around 70-72 mph which ends up being 1700-1900 rpm. I have heard that is the sweet spot for these motors.

Just this evening I put a cat delete pipe on my truck thinking that might increase the mileage a bit. I also want to get a programmer, but I am not sure what to get. I was thinking of getting the banks economind tuner with the iq dash kit. That way I can monitor the truck and have a gps all in one unit.

Is anyone running the banks economind tuner and if so how do you like it? What other tuners are people running? I don't want anything complicated. The banks seems to be plug and play and I want something easy. I know the banks stuff is expensive, but honestly that isn't my main concern. I will find a deal on whatever I decide to go with.

Sorry for the long post, but I have been messing around with this truck for over a year now and honestly I'm not very happy with it. On top of the mileage issues I have been fighting a front end that fell apart. I just got done replacing all the ball joints and tie rods and the truck still drives ****ty compared to a ford or chevy. This is my first Dodge, and will be my last.

If anyone has any recommendations I am all ears. I love the big cab, but if I'm going to continue to get ****ty mileage I'm going to just trade it on a new duramax or powerstroke so at the very least the truck will drive good.

Thanks,
Jim

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
I own a 03 cummins and I'm sure they will bury me in it. I absolutely love it. The mileage isn't that great but its better than my 2012 that's for sure. Smarty chips rock on these that's for sure!!

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
I own a 03 cummins and I'm sure they will bury me in it. I absolutely love it. The mileage isn't that great but its better than my 2012 that's for sure. Smarty chips rock on these that's for sure!!

What do you see for mileage numbers?

Also have you had any issues with the front end on your truck?

I bought mine with 96,000 miles on it and the previous owner said he had done ball joints and tie rods within the last 3000 miles. It now has 111,000 miles on it. So at the worst it might have 18-20,000 miles on the front end that I just fully replaced again. I think that is what makes me the most annoyed.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I have a early 04 with a lift and 35s. There has been a fuw times ware i got into the 20 mpg but most times i run around 18 or so. Like i tell all my friends id like to see a gas rig with 35s get that kind of mpg. But for a chip i would go with a smarty or efi live. you could get the banks screen so you could still get the gps and stuff but i would never put there chip on my truck

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
I wouldn't sell a banks chip to Ray Charles!! They suck in my opinion. Ya previous owner said ball joints and all front end parts had been done. Ya with junky parts so I put Spicer brand ball joints and threw on a Revtek axle forward 4 1/2" kit and 35s. This thing rides like a caddy and I don't put so much pressure on the front end now.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
07 5.9, 6 speed Mega here. Just over 100k mi.
Has had a Banks Triple Dog on it since new. I think the TD, overfuels too much, but it came with the truck when I bought it and mileage isn't significantly different running no tune all the way up to the old Crazy Larry tune.
I run 285's to 33x12.50s on it, mt's or agressive at's, no lift. Truck avg is about 17mpg in town/commuting, 18 or so on the hiway at 75mph, slower =better, faster=worse, 12-13 towing 6k lbs, still doing 75+mph. Your mileage is not out of line. Your truck is lifted with bigger tires. Anyone who brags about knocking down 20mpg consistently with a lift and big tires is full of sh^&*&#, IMO. Stock road burner tires and a light foot and keeping the speed down, I can get 20-21mpg. But I'm not going to drive 55-60mph on 265 tires anywhere.
Still on original front end components and truck drives good. 99% road miles though. Does it track like a 2wd or a IFS Chevy? No, but it's a solid axle truck and drives as good as any Ford F250 that I've been in. I've replaced the shocks and steering stabilizer but the OE ones were not blown and the shocks helped with bouncing over bumps, but it drives down the road the same.
Aside from normal maint, truck got a clutch around 50k mi, expected. Busted the #4 injection line about 70k mi, known issue. Locked up the steering box, @ 70k mi, and seems to eat re-man power steering pumps, but I'm too cheap to buy Dodge's new $800 "redesigned" steering pump and will keep replacing them with $60 re-mans that have a lifetime warranty. Got it down to about an hour to replace them.
Aside from trucks that get death wobble, I wonderhow many of the "front end problems" are really necessary to be fixed? I say this because the front end shop told me the ball jts on mine were out of spec and needed replacement 40k mi ago when I had an alignment. I told them to just set the toe in/out and call it good. They were only out of spec on caster (not adjustable), but i had/have no bad tire wear, no wandering, etc. I'm sure bigger tires, lift geometry and more off road driving impact this though.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I have a early 04 with a lift and 35s. There has been a fuw times ware i got into the 20 mpg but most times i run around 18 or so. Like i tell all my friends id like to see a gas rig with 35s get that kind of mpg. But for a chip i would go with a smarty or efi live. you could get the banks screen so you could still get the gps and stuff but i would never put there chip on my truck

Agreed. My work truck, a F150 5.0, 2011 just lost 2 mpg going from the OE 235's to 265 Michelins. 35's and a lift and I'd never pass up a gas station with it!

danredig

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Detroit Lakes, MN
Jim,
I have an '08 6.7 mega cab and i just put 33" tires, 2.5" leveling kit, full deletes, air intake, and mini max and my mileage has still stayed about the same from before when it was stock. I have a feeling with you having a 6" lift and big wheels is the main reason for your problems. I had a duramax with 20's and was going through front end parts just like you are with your dodge. The weight difference between stock tires and rims and what you have on it now is more than likely the reason for your troubles I don't think stock parts are made to withstand all that extra, and on top of it all being lifted. I'm getting between 17 and 19 right now.
After all, did you buy your pickup for fuel mileage or did you buy it to work?? Pretty tough to pull a 28 foot trailer with a Honda Accord!! :sorry:

menzy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2010
2007 mega 5.9 here.

It's has a 4 inch lift with 35's on it. This is my third dodge cummins. My first being in 1998. So I have lots o miles on them. There is one thing I put on every truck that I find helps loads with steering wandering. I have attached a picture. It is a stabilizer for the sector shaft of the steering box. I had one onmy 98, 02 and my 07. All huge steering improvements..

As far as ball joints.... All lifted solid front ends trucks are harder on parts the higher u go and the bigger u go. It's all about weight of tire and rim hangin out there.

I've had a smarty on this one for a long time and they do work well. I am currently waiting for an efi live program to be wrote for my truck. I hope to receive it soon. As far as mileage that your getting, it's right in the ball park, u could have a comparable ford and get 11 or so.

I get close to 22 cruising down the hi way but mine is a compound turbo truck with larger than stock injectors and fuel pump. And of course a transmission to hold it all.

image.jpg

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
2007 mega 5.9 here.

It's has a 4 inch lift with 35's on it. This is my third dodge cummins. My first being in 1998. So I have lots o miles on them. There is one thing I put on every truck that I find helps loads with steering wandering. I have attached a picture. It is a stabilizer for the sector shaft of the steering box. I had one onmy 98, 02 and my 07. All huge steering improvements..

Where can I purchase this part? I have the same truck and same problem.

Also, what do you guys run for oil in these motors? I have a VW TDI and run Schaeffers S9000 in it. Good stuff. 10k OCIs.

menzy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2010
Where can I purchase this part? I have the same truck and same problem.

Also, what do you guys run for oil in these motors? I have a VW TDI and run Schaeffers S9000 in it. Good stuff. 10k OCIs.

I just get mine from my local shop. Would be able just to google ram steering brace I would think. Pretty straight forward install. Just need to have a socket big and deep enough to torque the new nut on the steering box.

I run a full synthetic amsoil and change filters every 10k and oil every 30k. Kilometres not miles for me tho.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

Mine had 35's on it when I got it with rims that stuck out really wide. I didn't want to get fender flares to make the wide rims work, so instead I went with a narrower rim with less offset. I also went with tires that are still about 34.5" tall but much narrower. They actually weigh 30 lbs less than the tires that were on there when I got it.

I wish some of you were around to tell me realistic mileage numbers when I went to buy this thing. I like towing with the diesel, but for the weight I tow a gas motor is just fine. I end up getting pretty much the same mileage as my buddies with gas motors on the same trips west.

I guess I'll just suck it up and deal with it, but I think it is a little funny that everyone just deals with the front end falling apart on these things. I won't have mine another 20,000 miles so hopefully I don't have to replace ball joints or tie rods again before I sell it.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
2007 mega 5.9 here.

It's has a 4 inch lift with 35's on it. This is my third dodge cummins. My first being in 1998. So I have lots o miles on them. There is one thing I put on every truck that I find helps loads with steering wandering. I have attached a picture. It is a stabilizer for the sector shaft of the steering box. I had one onmy 98, 02 and my 07. All huge steering improvements..QUOTE]

I might look into one of these as well. My truck is much better now with the new parts in it, but it still wanders a little. Maybe this will get rid of the wandering.

menzy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2010
I guess I'll just suck it up and deal with it, but I think it is a little funny that everyone just deals with the front end falling apart on these things. I won't have mine another 20,000 miles so hopefully I don't have to replace ball joints or tie rods again before I sell it.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what it is with front ends but I put 470 000 km on my 98 and 200 000 on my 02 and never touched the front ends. This one I have done them once in 250000 km. I run around after drilling rigs for a living so it isn't a highway queen for sure. Not sure why some people have such ball joint issues.

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
The ball joints are just like the transmissions in these trucks, last forever stock but any additional power or lift and they wear out significantly faster. Thats why built transmissions and ball joints are twice the cost.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Ive never followed the mpg or kmg calculation. But I follow the methodology of how many km/miles I can get out of a tank of fuel. I have a 06 ram mega 5.9 with 3" lift and 35 Toyo MT's on the hi-way empty doing about 115kmph 1800rpm I can get 820km per tank or about 515 miles. Towing at the same speed I get about 650 km or about 400 miles.

92 coupe

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2009
IL
Its a mega and a 5.9 so it will sell quick when your ready. What were you really expecting for mileage out of a lifted truck with bigger tires? Just curious what your expectations were. I would definately look into a smarty, never really been to impressed with banks gear, way overpriced. With that kind of mileage make sure the brake pads aren't seized in the slides causing the brakes to drag(pretty common). Also make sure the sleeve boots aren't tore on the calipers allowing water in and rusting up the sleeves. 4.10 gearing? Your buddys gassers may be getting about the same mileage but its gotta make you feel a little good inside when their trucks are downshifting to pull a hill while your not breaking a sweat pullin away with the cruise set.

Last edited:
T

TheHardWay

Jan 2, 2011
Hesperus, CO
07 5.9, 6 speed Mega here. Just over 100k mi.
Has had a Banks Triple Dog on it since new. I think the TD, overfuels too much, but it came with the truck when I bought it and mileage isn't significantly different running no tune all the way up to the old Crazy Larry tune.
I run 285's to 33x12.50s on it, mt's or agressive at's, no lift. Truck avg is about 17mpg in town/commuting, 18 or so on the hiway at 75mph, slower =better, faster=worse, 12-13 towing 6k lbs, still doing 75+mph. Your mileage is not out of line. Your truck is lifted with bigger tires. Anyone who brags about knocking down 20mpg consistently with a lift and big tires is full of sh^&*&#, IMO. Stock road burner tires and a light foot and keeping the speed down, I can get 20-21mpg. But I'm not going to drive 55-60mph on 265 tires anywhere.
Still on original front end components and truck drives good. 99% road miles though. Does it track like a 2wd or a IFS Chevy? No, but it's a solid axle truck and drives as good as any Ford F250 that I've been in. I've replaced the shocks and steering stabilizer but the OE ones were not blown and the shocks helped with bouncing over bumps, but it drives down the road the same.
Aside from normal maint, truck got a clutch around 50k mi, expected. Busted the #4 injection line about 70k mi, known issue. Locked up the steering box, @ 70k mi, and seems to eat re-man power steering pumps, but I'm too cheap to buy Dodge's new $800 "redesigned" steering pump and will keep replacing them with $60 re-mans that have a lifetime warranty. Got it down to about an hour to replace them.
Aside from trucks that get death wobble, I wonderhow many of the "front end problems" are really necessary to be fixed? I say this because the front end shop told me the ball jts on mine were out of spec and needed replacement 40k mi ago when I had an alignment. I told them to just set the toe in/out and call it good. They were only out of spec on caster (not adjustable), but i had/have no bad tire wear, no wandering, etc. I'm sure bigger tires, lift geometry and more off road driving impact this though.

I believe you meant Bully Dog on the Triple Dog?

To the OP, I'd stay away from Banks, unless you like throwing your money away. You will pay more, and get less performance than you would by going with another product. Check out the cumminsforum, dieseltruckresouce, and compd for all of you diesel needs. Lots of good info out there.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
Its a mega and a 5.9 so it will sell quick when your ready. What were you really expecting for mileage out of a lifted truck with bigger tires? Just curious what your expectations were. I would definately look into a smarty, never really been to impressed with banks gear, way overpriced. With that kind of mileage make sure the brake pads aren't seized in the slides causing the brakes to drag(pretty common). Also make sure the sleeve boots aren't tore on the calipers allowing water in and rusting up the sleeves. 4.10 gearing? Your buddys gassers may be getting about the same mileage but its gotta make you feel a little good inside when their trucks are downshifting to pull a hill while your not breaking a sweat pullin away with the cruise set.

I was led to believe when I was looking that the 5.9 got 20-24 mpg empty on the highway and 13-16 towing 7-10k lbs. So I figured with the lift and tires I would be on the low end since it seems like everybody has bigger tires on the forums. I have read quite a lot on cummins forum for info. When I initially purchased the truck it was bone stock. I was getting 12-14 at the best on the highway empty. So I bought cat back exhaust and an air intake and put smaller, lighter tires on the truck. Now the best I have ever seen empty is 17.4 which I am ok with. My main problem is towing I have never got above 10. I was hoping for 12-14 since I don't tow a lot of weight. My trailer is somewhere between 6500-7000 lbs loaded. I also agree with you that driving a diesel is awesome for towing, I love just setting the cruise and going. I know that a gasser won't do that.

I think I have decided to stay away from banks too. I like the idea of the banks system, but I called them yesterday with a question and the sales guy was a total prick. Last I checked when you are looking at spending $1,500 with a company they might want to treat you like a human. I will just be their worst effing nightmare from now on. I travel every week all across the country for work and have access to speak with lots of people, so I will have plenty of opportunities to bad mouth them and steer people any other direction.

Thanks again for the ideas

R

RMKNV

Jan 3, 2011
Reno,NV
Go with the smarty on the 5.9 common rails. I loved mine on the 06. I had a 06 CCLB with 35's and it would get 20mpg running -70 with no head wind and went down from there. Real world was 17.5 empty and 13 towing. I had 3.73 gears so with the 35's it was geared high for towing and trans hunted a bit for the right gear, I feel 4.10's with the tall tires is a better set up for towing and mileage in the mountains.

As far as ball joints, if you plan on keeping this truck pop on the Carli rebuildable's they are the ticket, spendy but one time purchase and hell for stout. Plus the steering brace. FYI you can get the brace about any where I got mine from Hell Bent Steel, but BD, summit and many others sell them.

Those 06-07 5.9ers are money in the bank I kinda miss mine.

Premium Features