• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Project Tatermobile.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
On another note. I know where there is a mid-90's Lite for sale cheap. In pieces. No engine. Touring, so it has the long 133/136 skid.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
If the correct parts arrive, great!

If not, try asking for Jim in the technical dept. at SLP. Seems to know his stuff.........

BTW, does the Trail RMK skid that you have look like this? If so, can you provide the mounting dimensions that you took from the donor sled?

TIA

Glen

Think I figured it out, SLP didn't know. Will know when they get here tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• '05 RMK Trail Skid.jpg
    '05 RMK Trail Skid.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 39

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
If the correct parts arrive, great!

If not, try asking for Jim in the technical dept. at SLP. Seems to know his stuff.........

BTW, does the Trail RMK skid that you have look like this? If so, can you provide the mounting dimensions that you took from the donor sled?

TIA

Glen

I think so, tipped up rails in the back? It came out of an Edge Trail RMK.
Whoever I talked to aimed me at the 2000-12 Edge/IQ extensions, I have an Edge skid on the bench so measured the holes, they were the same as Tater's sled, so ordered those.
I have the paper at work, I will being it home. I do remember that the center to center from the driver shaft to the front arm hole was 9". On ours, that was the first problem, as it was way up in the footwell, almost in front of it.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Rail and tunnel extension done, found a Skidoo bumper in inventory that fit perfect. Pulled the chaincase cover to drain it, looks like we can't gear it down. 17 on top, not sure what is on bottom but it is almost touching. Last night I did mess with the clutches, pulled the stock weights out and went a bit lighter.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Found a 16t top sprocket. But with the 8 tooth drivers that are already on it, we may be ok. Got the skid in tonight, holy crap what a tight fit. Never had such a problem getting one in there. Even with the rear axle all the way forward, we may not need to pull it back for track adjustment. But it is in, looks good, Tater is happy. Gonna call the sled Blackback, because the rails and tunnel are silver, and the rail and tunnel extensions are both black.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I keep forgetting about the measurements, sorry. Call and leave me a message so I remember. 208-599-4709
We got her all buttoned up. Took the secondary apart and cleaned it. Tater took her for a rip for 5 minutes or so in front of my shop, it looks like it pulls a lot harder with the fresh lighter weights. It had 8 tooth drivers on it, so someone changed them at some point. The 136 1.75 Poo track was 6 pounds heavier than the 121 1.4 Doo track that we pulled off. Kept the stock gearing for now, seems ok. Tater is getting good with the rivet gun, and hates messing with chaincases as much as I do!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 53

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Found an 05 F5 with a 144 on CL. Belong to anyone here? Lots of miles but seems clean. Might be a good option for my 14 year old girl until Tater grows into it next year.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
No worries, I'll give you a call later today.

I think you'll be happy with the track. For us it was night & day compared to stock but should still be a big improvement over the 121 X 1.4 you have now.

How much clearance do you have between the track & tunnel running the 8 tooth drivers?

Not sure how your machine is set up but we found some decent gains on bottom end performance last year by dropping the pilot jets 1 size & advancing the timing closer to stock spec. The timing on our machine was out(retarded) by 4 degrees when we checked it. We still have to do some more testing / plug checks to confirm if it's going to be safe but it's looking good so far.

We dropped weight in the primary as well. We also installed a heavier spring with Glide washers. Needed to increase the engagement speed & maintain RPM on a pull. These tracks are big load for the little 340. LOL

I keep forgetting about the measurements, sorry. Call and leave me a message so I remember. 208-599-4709
We got her all buttoned up. Took the secondary apart and cleaned it. Tater took her for a rip for 5 minutes or so in front of my shop, it looks like it pulls a lot harder with the fresh lighter weights. It had 8 tooth drivers on it, so someone changed them at some point. The 136 1.75 Poo track was 6 pounds heavier than the 121 1.4 Doo track that we pulled off. Kept the stock gearing for now, seems ok. Tater is getting good with the rivet gun, and hates messing with chaincases as much as I do!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
There is still a bunch of clearance in there, getting the driver in was easy. I will look when we get it back in the shop. As for the timing, that is a good idea, it does run strange on the bottom for sure. I thought it was rich also, but I messed with it on the stand with a screwdriver in hand and it seemed to like 1/2 - 1 turn out on the air screw, which is backwards from what I thought. I think someone may have changed out the pilot, I need to tear it back down and look. (I couldn't read the number when cleaning them with my bad eyes.)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
All measurements are centers to centers:
Driver back to front torque arm: 9" even.
Driver to back torque arm: 37 1/8".
Top of tunnel down to front torque arm: 4 7/8".
Top of tunnel down to rear torque arm: 7" even.
I keep wanting to part that 08 Trail skid out, but it is so nice I keep putting it away in case I want to relocate some brackets!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Thanks!

That's relatively close to the measurements I received from another forum member(Chad Krump) - see below. Chad said he's had good success putting the newer Edge skids in some of the older iron.

I just have to get around to trying it.

Did you keep any measurements from your radius rod shortening mod? I think in order for the rear skid upgrade to work out the best, the front end is going to have to be picked up a proportional amount to the rear.

All measurements are centers to centers:
Driver back to front torque arm: 9" even.
Driver to back torque arm: 37 1/8".
Top of tunnel down to front torque arm: 4 7/8".
Top of tunnel down to rear torque arm: 7" even.
I keep wanting to part that 08 Trail skid out, but it is so nice I keep putting it away in case I want to relocate some brackets!

Attachments

• Skid Mounting Location(Chad Krump).jpg
    Skid Mounting Location(Chad Krump).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 27

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Uhoh this thing hopped up on my deck today....not sure if I want to get into this project....

59dae3f5f1ef5387d6c65d9636f2877d.jpg

6e4ce780ad262a507ca9ec25b7fcd224.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Did you end up with many other parts besides the frame and front arms?

Ya I have a skid, tunnel/snowflap thing, handlebars, seat, some small stuff. It needs the bodywork and engine. Some shocks, track, and skis(only have one)

I’m just contemplating whether I want to sink money into it or send it down the trail to a new owner. Kinda going back and forth with it right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
You probably know, but the engine transmission is an integral unit that the drive shaft slips in to. This is basically a scooter assembly. I contemplated the idea of finding a larger scooter, 125-200cc with the drive to install in one so it would pull the 121 x 12 x 1.25 track better. I think it would give it a WOW factor having a bit more power to rip around on.

Premium Features