• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder freaks center drive on 2.75” tracks

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Anyone try the powder freaks center drive unit on their 3.5” pitch tracks?

I do t have any issue with ratcheting but the damn vibrations are driving me nuts.

I really don’t want to hack up my trails either .... I was told the powder freaks center drive makes better contact with the track drive windows and therefore smoother and does not require as much tension

Any first hand reports of this driver ?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I have Avid center drive drivers with the 3.5" pitch. I do not have any ratcheting, but have noticed more track shift than ever before. produces a noticeable clunk when the envolutes engage with the track nubs and the extrovert engages with the drive side of the window

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
What’s the downside and/or fear from trimming rails and adding an anti-stab? That center driver is one of Polaris’ most Mickey Mouse and worst ideas I have ever seen. Having a driver tooth going straight to rubber with no clip? The heat from this set up causes ice build up in certain situations and compounds the problem. More ratcheting, more tracks damaged. Now much more exacerbated with a 3.5” pitch with one less tooth of engagement with 6 tooth drivers.
i haven’t seen one failure from fully clipping a track, throwing on a set of Avid Powerclaw drivers, trimming rails, and adding a quality ice age or MTNTK anti stab.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I believe the vibration is from the odd track lug configuration. You can feel it every time it passes over the driver. Have a look.
Not just that. I know the drivers vibrate some but with the 3.5 pitch, the rear wheels also bump over and sink in between the rods way more. And due to the extra tight tension the wheels bow the track out each time they fall off the rods. I lost a series 6 track when it split at the wheels. 9 inch big wheel kit is on order.

track.jpg

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
Not just that. I know the drivers vibrate some but with the 3.5 pitch, the rear wheels also bump over and sink in between the rods way more. And due to the extra tight tension the wheels bow the track out each time they fall off the rods. I lost a series 6 track when it split at the wheels. 9 inch big wheel kit is on order.
oh yeah I noticed that to .. when I was tightening my track for the 4th time lol

I was looking at the itek 8.5" plastic wheel kits along with the powder freak center drive .. my dealer says it has way better contact with the track, deeper extro tooth and deeper drivers

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I have zero vibration on my 3.5" avid drivers
( cat style ) and a doo 165, it does make a
droning noise at certain speed/ snow conditions.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
damx,
Different lug pattern. Much better in my opinion.

Teth-air
With the drivers and wheels between the rails it makes the track balloon edge to edge. We proved this long ago by positioning idler wheels to improve hyfax longevity. The 6 tooth drivers don’t have enough contact when the track balloons and forces the track away from the drivers. There isn’t enough track/driver surface contact.
Another involuted driver(3) would help.
Avid’s stock replacement drivers support this theory.
The true extrovert driver helps because it spreads out the driver/track contact area which mitigates the balloon affect.
I believe 3 or 4 wheels in the rear and/or moving the 2 out board would help.
The rear wheel pic above, shows how much pressure is needed on the track to help alleviate a ratchet. 4 wheels would help spread the load along with procuring alignment
I also believe the new track has built in derailing issues. That stock drivers and track adjustments in its current state can’t rectify.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I tried putting ice age 8” hellfire wheels in when the 2.75 was new and they wouldn’t fit. I know this track stretches a lot, but 8” wheels were too big when it was new. I went with the offset axle.

Trimming rails is very easy. I’ve ran ice age, wahl bros, and mtntek anti stabs. Mtntek is the strongest. I wouldn’t even consider wahl bros again. And there was no extra trimming involved with mtntek. Just cut rails to clear the extroverts and increase hole size for anti stab bolt.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I have zero vibration on my 3.5" avid drivers
( cat style ) and a doo 165, it does make a
droning noise at certain speed/ snow conditions.
you must have had the track narrowed? is it the LX300?

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I tried putting ice age 8” hellfire wheels in when the 2.75 was new and they wouldn’t fit. I know this track stretches a lot, but 8” wheels were too big when it was new. I went with the offset axle.

Trimming rails is very easy. I’ve ran ice age, wahl bros, and mtntek anti stabs. Mtntek is the strongest. I wouldn’t even consider wahl bros again. And there was no extra trimming involved with mtntek. Just cut rails to clear the extroverts and increase hole size for anti stab bolt.
i noticed with the 8" ice age wheels with ice age rails and new track were very tight as well. I don't see how the billet wheels are any different.

the MTNTEK anti-stab kit instructions show clearancing both the inner rail and the anti-stab shaft. Did you not have to do this?

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
damx,
Different lug pattern. Much better in my opinion.

Teth-air
With the drivers and wheels between the rails it makes the track balloon edge to edge. We proved this long ago by positioning idler wheels to improve hyfax longevity. The 6 tooth drivers don’t have enough contact when the track balloons and forces the track away from the drivers. There isn’t enough track/driver surface contact.
Another involuted driver(3) would help.
Avid’s stock replacement drivers support this theory.
The true extrovert driver helps because it spreads out the driver/track contact area which mitigates the balloon affect.
I believe 3 or 4 wheels in the rear and/or moving the 2 out board would help.
The rear wheel pic above, shows how much pressure is needed on the track to help alleviate a ratchet. 4 wheels would help spread the load along with procuring alignment
I also believe the new track has built in derailing issues. That stock drivers and track adjustments in its current state can’t rectify.
I have the Avid center drive drivers with this new track. I don't have any ratcheting, but do have a more pronounced track shift than I have ever experienced.
I am running the track pretty tight., 1/2" at 10 lbs. Do you think I can get away with running it looser, but keep it from ratcheting?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Its a ski doo 165, and yes I cut it

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
i noticed with the 8" ice age wheels with ice age rails and new track were very tight as well. I don't see how the billet wheels are any different.

the MTNTEK anti-stab kit instructions show clearancing both the inner rail and the anti-stab shaft. Did you not have to do this?

The 8” would not fit with my 155 stock rails when the track was new. ?‍♂️

No trimming on the inside of these rails or anti stab.

BEA8F3A7-4C6D-4D01-BF46-D539EDF9DE34.jpeg

Premium Features