• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polishing Tunnel

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
W
Feb 14, 2009
Mothers is very affordable for how good it works. I bought a good size jar that will do the entire tunnel for under $6.

DSC04231.jpg

nice lawn dude!

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Sled

Ok. Here is what I know, You need a big air compressor if you use a buffing wheel. I have been working on mine and easily have five hours in it. My finish is nothing like alot of yours. How did you guys get the coolers on your XP's I am having a hard time with that?

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
MFG/VIN code sticker?

There's some nice sleds on here.

What are you guys doing about the MFG sticker on the tunnels where the VIN code is listed? Are you guys taking them off or just polishing around them?

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
No two ways about it, it is just a lot of work no matter what you use. Ive got three to look forward to when I get home. Build a fire and get out the beer invite the guys over and plan on a two week buff job!!:beer;:beer;:p

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Did mine today with power ball. Was frustrated trying to get the black residue off from around rivets and seams. Sprayed on some Mequiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner, which is a mild solution (low acid content) and brushed lightly. Worked real good to get that last bit of residue off.

Not as profesional looking as some, but at least it's shinny and clean.

Wax on/wax off tomorrow. :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
F
Sep 6, 2009
I started with hollywoods and the powerball but was tearing up the ball real bad on the edges, switched over to a regular wheel on the drill, worked good my sleds a few years old so there was alot on the right side i just didnt feel like putting the time into working out. Now i got better boards on there so the hell with it lol. Hollywoods is amazing stuff, the pic of the bottle that fuel rail i just rubbed by hand real quick literally like wax not alot of effort, this is the stuff we use at work to rub out wire wheel marks or sanding marks on fenders, headache racks etc. my brother did the frame on his cbr with a cheap harbor freight kit and hollywoods and brought it to a mirror
hollywoods1.com

Picture 005.jpg projects 003.jpg

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
I plan on doing mine by starting with 1500 wetsanding, then 2k, then 3k. It shouldn't take much at all to make it shine after that.

I had some deeper scratches in my tunnel. 1000, 1500, 2000 for me and then go to town for the mothers on a microfiber cloth.

J

John Peck

Jan 9, 2008
Pierre
Thanks. I guess I fergot to mention what I used...
Wool Pad and Mother's for initial burnish
Mother's Ball and Mother's for cleanup
Mother's by hand for finish
Lotsa patience

I usually take pic's outa quotes, but I can't get enuf of the beer cap bikini!!!

Looks good bud! Now you can help me when you bring my hat. Ill have some :beer;s waiting for you when you arive.:D,Ill be startin mine after i but the new rear section on. :D

Premium Features