• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PLEASE HELP WITH INFORMATION: Temporary Insurance for renting a snowmobile??

F
Oct 30, 2011
Hey Guys,
We have a group headed out to Albany lodge in the Snowies renting sleds for a few days. We found out that they do not offer any kind of insurance to cover the rentals. Does anybody have any info on who might offer something like that? Have called around to different insurance places with no luck so far.
Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I had this same issue. My brother is a insurance agent and set me up for 275$ all was good until the ride back to the lodge on the last day. I tapped a rock thought all would be alright a couple hundred bucks to fix until i got back they looked it over it and I tweaked the bulkhead. I had to pay for the sled right there the owner was very nice to work with but still a 8900 dollar loss from the account. Got home filed the claim and all was good. Albany lodge gets paid for the sled/damage before you leave so heads up!!! Again everyone at Albany Lodge was great to work with and they need to cover do this so they don't get screwed.

F
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for the heads up.
any chance your brother would be interested in setting something up for us? so far we haven't had any luck finding anybody to write a temporary policy.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Check with your credit card company. Some cards have rental insurance as a benefit. Pay with your card and the insurance doesn't cost you a thing. Every card is different though so do your homework.

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I will ask for sure I will be home this weekend and get him your info if you could leave me your name and number?
Mike

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
My auto insurance covers me when I rent a car.
I have no idea if this would apply on snowmobile rental, but worth asking.

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
I insure my old mountain sled every year for this reason. I only ride 4-10 days a year if work allows and it is foolish to spend 13g's on a sled I only ride a few days a year. When I receive my rental I call my insurance company and give them the vin #. They cover the sled with a $200 deductible for the duration of my trip. Then I ride it like I stole it. Oh and makeup removal wipes work wonders for all those small tree scuffs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Guys, I have owned a rental business for the last 10 years. I have ran between 20 - 50 rentals a year in that time. Maybe I can help provide some insight.

I had this same issue. My brother is a insurance agent and set me up for 275$ all was good until the ride back to the lodge on the last day. I tapped a rock thought all would be alright a couple hundred bucks to fix until i got back they looked it over it and I tweaked the bulkhead. I had to pay for the sled right there the owner was very nice to work with but still a 8900 dollar loss from the account. Got home filed the claim and all was good. Albany lodge gets paid for the sled/damage before you leave so heads up!!! Again everyone at Albany Lodge was great to work with and they need to cover do this so they don't get screwed.

You were charged for an entire sled for damaging a bulk head? Surely there must have been dramatically more damage to the machine to warrant this? I have only charged a customer maybe once or twice for a machine and it's only been end of season when the value of the damages begins to out weigh the value of the machine.

Check with your credit card company. Some cards have rental insurance as a benefit. Pay with your card and the insurance doesn't cost you a thing. Every card is different though so do your homework.

I have never once in my 10 years of operating this business seen a CC cover damages to any type of off road equipment. Typically they will cover auto rentals only. I would get written verification from the cc company prior to relying on that as your protection

My auto insurance covers me when I rent a car.
I have no idea if this would apply on snowmobile rental, but worth asking.

Similar to CC's auto insurance will typically only cover auto rentals. I have never had them cover any off road equipment.

In short guys, about the only time I have seen coverage is when the renter has their own snowmobile policy at home and it covers a snowmobile rental. It is always best to call and verify with your agent or cc company prior to renting the sled.

B

Beavis

Dec 16, 2007
Utah
Mtnpull, do you offer any coverage for your customers in case of damage or do they have to pay cash for any repairs?

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
Has anyone ever checked to see if their homeowners insurance would cover something like this? I remember one time my kids broke the back window in a neighbor's car and my homeowners covered it. I think I'll call on Monday to see what they tell me.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Maybe call agent and tell them u are going to possibly buy a snowmobile the weekend of xx, and u won't know for sure until after u ride it but want to make sure it is covered during ur ride.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Maybe call agent and tell them u are going to possibly buy a snowmobile the weekend of xx, and u won't know for sure until after u ride it but want to make sure it is covered during ur ride.

yeah I am sure lying to your agent is a great idea. Nothing bad ever happens from lying to an insurance company. Genius

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Has anyone ever checked to see if their homeowners insurance would cover something like this? I remember one time my kids broke the back window in a neighbor's car and my homeowners covered it. I think I'll call on Monday to see what they tell me.
No. Home owners won't cover your sled if it's in your garage if it burned down.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
yeah I am sure lying to your agent is a great idea. Nothing bad ever happens from lying to an insurance company. Genius

Not a lie. It is the truth, you wont know until after you ride it if you "have to buy it", if buying it is even an option. Now if they ask if it is a rental and you say no, then that is an outright lie and definitely not right.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
my buddy went through the same thing a few years ago. he could not find anyone to insure his rental.

my uncle had to rent for a couple days due to an engine going down in his personal sled. he is a farmer/rancher and probably pays in 1 year what most pay 20 years (which im sure helped his cause)....and seemed to have a good relationship with the agent while talking to him/her on the phone. he was told that if he causes more damage to the sled than he is willing to pay for, buy the sled, haul it home, and they will hash it out when he gets back home. we thankfully never had to find out what "would happen".........but those are the two stories i have to share.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Mtnpull, do you offer any coverage for your customers in case of damage or do they have to pay cash for any repairs?

I offer an in house Damage Agreement. It's basically an agreement between me and the customer. They pay me either an extra $15 or $20 depending on type of sled per day and I will limit their risk for damages. The limit is pretty high (similar to a deductible). This keeps our renters playing smart and keeps me from losing my shorts. On all my 800 rentals I require that they purchase the damage agreement, but on my 550's and 600's it's optional.

If they decline the damage agreement they are liable for 100% of the damages up to the full cost of the snowmobile.

Premium Features