• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

overheated shut off

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Buddy of mine started his sled (12 pro) in the garage had a family emergency and left, well he forgot to turn the sled off, called me after an hour and a half and I showed up and it was off....overheated I imagine.

At what temp do these turn themselves off at? Wondering if this is something to worry about or not.
It started right back up for me, temp was already right at 120 when I started it lol.
I'd love to give him **** but the sleds the last thing on his mind now.

Last edited:
D

dcooper

Mar 6, 2012
Jackson, WY
I have run mine very hot before and never had it shut off on it's own, probably not something to worry about but...... who knows.....

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Probably a good thing you showed and restarted it,did it leave a puddle of coolant ( really hot ) it'll need to be filled and run of course and a new cap.
Usually they boil over and never shut down!?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I am not sure about the Polaris, but I know the Doo's will shut themselves off after a certain period of time if the throttle is not moved....about 5 minutes I believe.....regardless of coolant temp.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Probably a good thing you showed and restarted it,did it leave a puddle of coolant ( really hot ) it'll need to be filled and run of course and a new cap.
Usually they boil over and never shut down!?

No puddle and the cap looks fine.

If it werent for the kill switch still up and the key on I woulda almost thought someone did turn it off thats why I';m wondering if maybe there is a point when it just turns off like the doo's do.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
No puddle and the cap looks fine.

If it werent for the kill switch still up and the key on I woulda almost thought someone did turn it off thats why I';m wondering if maybe there is a point when it just turns off like the doo's do.

I can't comment on the shutting off due to overheating. But I can vouch that it does not turn itself off after ~10-15 mins of idling....not sure about longer. I have left mine idling that long to provide light for getting someone un-stuck riding at night. That said, I scooped a bunch of snow on the tunnel beforehand....so the temp wasn't an issue.

Is it possible one of his neighbors got sick of listening to it and turned it off? I know whenever I turn off a sled via the kill switch I always pull it back up right away.

C
Feb 8, 2008
At some point when the temp gets over 239 deg.( at idle) the ecu will create a misfire to try and save the motor. That is what probably shut the sled off.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I think it's more to do with time idling without the throttle moving than what heat it is at but I could be mistaken. About 20 minutes or so.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
I think it's more to do with time idling without the throttle moving than what heat it is at but I could be mistaken. About 20 minutes or so.

Not trying to be argumentative but I'm pretty sure it's time-at-temp.

I've started my cold soaked sled (parked outside overnight) at various temps from 25 to -25 and it always shuts itself off after coming to temp.

The time variance is it takes longer at colder temps. The auto shut-off is linked to the TPS somehow. If I touch the throttle the sled will keep idling and get hotter.

So to the OP: If you never touched the throttle after starting your sled then most likely nothing bad happened.

chriswelters

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2009
Ishpeming MI
Same here with the auto shutoff. Mine and a buddy's sleds shut off after a short time idling. Both 2013s started the sleds after being in the cold trailer all night.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Had some time since deer aren't moving and waiting for Uconnect download for my truck.

2012 800 Pro 163
37 F start temp, 163F end, just under 21 minutes. Bottom line, engine shuts off if TPS doesn't move. YMMV.
vagydaba.jpg
u8a7ejaq.jpg

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Yea throttle was never touched so were good...good info to know... thx guys!

Premium Features