• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost High coolant temp when restarting?

C
Nov 19, 2009
Hey does anyone know why my 2022 boost started doing this?

When in the deep snow or on the trail i stop and shut the sled off and the temp coolant temp is reasonable around 120. Then i start it up a min or so after and the temps reading 190 which throws a code and the temp drops quickly back to around 120. It never use to do that.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Mine does it too. If that coolant isn't pumping (while it's powered off, after running high RPMs for a while) the thermostat will show very high temps.

Start it back up and the pump starts moving liquid again and all is good.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
You all are funny and clearly didn't take a thermodynamics class. Just let the sled idle for a few seconds and temp to normalize before you hammer down when restarting. The rest of this can be largely ignored.

C
Nov 19, 2009
You all are funny and clearly didn't take a thermodynamics class. Just let the sled idle for a few seconds and temp to normalize before you hammer down when restarting. The rest of this can be largely ignored.
Im very familiar with thermodynamics. All I'm saying is it never did it till 1300 miles. That tells me somthing has changed. The way i ride and the snow conditions are the same. When a similar sled does the same pull and we stop and leave it off for the same time and start it up. Mine is 190 and his is 120.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Im very familiar with thermodynamics. All I'm saying is it never did it till 1300 miles. That tells me somthing has changed. The way i ride and the snow conditions are the same. When a similar sled does the same pull and we stop and leave it off for the same time and start it up. Mine is 190 and his is 120.
OK, different answer then: time to sell it. 1300mi is getting up there! Clearly it's about to grenade. 😝

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
They all do it. Na sleds do it just not as bad.

If your sled is already 120 when you shut it off it means the cooling system is flowing maxed out thermostat wide open and not keeping the engine Temps where desired(thermostat is 95*ish). So the Second you shut it down its obviously going to get the coolant in thr motor even hotter.

Pro tip when getting unstuck or going to dive thru a technical line make sure to let the sled idle ans cool down to 100* or so. The boosts correct timing and fueling like crazy when Temps get 110+ and make the sled a lot slower and lazier. So if you need it to hit hard don't fire it right up and take off.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
These are Polaris sleds. How dare you inject science into anything to do with them!

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
To be fair, my comments weren't aimed at you.

As to the change, the only things it could be...

1) Water pump not functioning right (very unlikely)
2) Coolant not full (possible, I lost some at on point)
3) Coolant has "gone bad" (not possible)
4) Your motor or the turbo is running significantly hotter. This could be the if the injectors are outputting less flow somehow.
5) Thermostat not functioning properly. This sounds possible based on your running temp.

To be fair, what you are describing is similar to what my sled does from time to time. If its still running okay and there is no coolant leaking, I'd maybe put a new thermostat in to see if running temp changes...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Curse of this thread. Now my sled is consistently running at 120 lol. Going to mess around and see whats up. To be fair, I am HAMMERING on it.
The head/cooling system can't flow enough unfortunately to maintain proper Temps. Every boost I've been around When the snows good and you ride hard they are always 110+ even in mega deep snow. For guys riding consistently hard it's not uncommon to see 120+

Got some buddies in revy last year logging 150* coolant temps on brutal deep long pulls breaking into zones. Nothing broken in cooling system. Slwds work perfectly normal on trail and when snow isn't crazy deep.

J
Dec 15, 2021
Victor
The head/cooling system can't flow enough unfortunately to maintain proper Temps. Every boost I've been around When the snows good and you ride hard they are always 110+ even in mega deep snow. For guys riding consistently hard it's not uncommon to see 120+

Got some buddies in revy last year logging 150* coolant temps on brutal deep long pulls breaking into zones. Nothing broken in cooling system. Slwds work perfectly normal on trail and when snow isn't crazy deep.
I think this is correct. I'm not scared of 120-125 coolant temps to begin with. Just funny how I see this thread, make a comment, then am like wait wtf.

It will run around 90 something when I'm just puttering about. (but what fun is that!?)

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If it runs normal temps during normal operation, really all you can do to alleviate this is let it idle a little more before shutting down. Otherwise there's nothing to do here

Premium Features