• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Out Of The Box Pics and Vid: Aerocharger '13 RMK System

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
We've been getting a lot of questions about Aerocharger systems for the 2013 Polaris RMK lineup, so we put this together to profile how these systems look right out of the box. In this video, Brad, Andrew, John and Cory get in-depth about the design and components of the kit. In case you can't watch videos at work, we've got the summary posted here too :D This is our Air-to-Water Intercooled system for 800s - Aerocharger makes air-to-air and non intercooled versions for the 600 and 800 as well.

Aerocharger 2013 Polaris RMK 800 Air-to Water System

AT A GLANCE
Price: $5800.00
Aerocharger Type: 66 Series
Trim: 200 Compressor/ 250 Turbine
This middle-of-the-road setup provides an ideal balance of power and efficiency with the Liberty 800 engine.
Boost: Pre-set at 5.5 psi out of the box. The average Aerocharged RMK rides at 7psi, and can be safely set at a max of 12psi. Boost level is determined by the installed spring within the Aerocharger's integrated boost controller. An upgraded boost spring and shims are included and can be easily installed to the increase boost level.
Fuel: 91 Octane to Race Fuel, based on boost setting.
Horsepower: 50-100 hp over stock based on octane and boost setting.

AEROCHARGER FEATURES
VATN Technology: Aerocharger’s powerful variable geometry tech optimizes turbine size, producing lag-free boost that equals excellent performance for high altitude and technical riding. The ideal turbo for 2-strokes. Being a variable vane turbo, the Aerocharger offers unmatched fine-tune adjustability. The initial vane position can be set to speed up or slow down boost response, and can be quickly modified for riding conditions and personal preference.

Independent Oil Supply: The Aerocharger contains its own oil supply, allowing for clean and simple installation and reduced risk of complications when riding.

Non-Flooded Bearings: An innovative oil misting system allows for drag free bearing performance and ultra-fast spooling. A major performance increase over conventional journal bearings. This system is effective and reliable, exceeding 30,000 hours during destructive operation tests.

Alloy Housing: The Aerocharger features a premium casting containing 38% nickel, similar to stainless steel. The Aerocharger will resist corroding and rusting in snowmobiling's high-humidity operating environments.

AC66Series_zpse790d9d8.jpg

AEROCHARGER COMPONENTS
Heat Shield: Ceramic coated stainless steel. Also contains a layer of heat wrap to provide an additonal heat barrier, helping to keep heat levels down inside the engine compartment.

Custom Housing Mount: RMK Aerocharger housings are built with a custom ball joint, allowing the turbine wheel to be located closer to the pipe for better energy and improved throttle response.

Turbo Oil: Includes 2 bottles of full synthetic turbine oil to be added to the Aerocharger's oil reservoir. The Aerocharger uses a waste-oil system - the oil won't need to be changed, just checked annually and topped off as needed.

Dome Air Filter: Aerochargers for snowmobiles are filtered by a stainless steel mesh air filter. This setup protects the compressor wheels from debris.

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

Manual: Step-by-step system manual to make installation as simple as possible. Contains lots of photos.
Fuel Controller Field Guide: Laminated guide detailing all fuel controller modes and options, and lists recommended settings. Easy reference for tuning.

Manual_zps0f87b428.jpg

Muffler Assembly: Ceramic coated Stainless steel, TIG welded for a very clean appearance. An AFR bung is integrated into this assembly. The Aerocharger RMK muffler is completely compatible with stock mounting locations, and has been designed to be freely flowing in order to minimize back pressure. Reduced backpressure at the muffler supports overall system efficiency, and efficiency savings here contribute to the sled's final horsepower output.

Muffler_zps6437be83.jpg

Charge Tube: The Air-To-Water charge tube is completely pre-assembled with hose clamps and blow-off valve, and the lines are labeled for quick installation. This component is a single-piece silicone tube- bends and joints required for metal construction result in inefficient flow, and a silicone make allows for design improvements that aren't possible with other materials.

The blow-off valve for this charge tube is another custom-made Aerocharger part, as typical BOVs are not ideal for 2-stroke engines. We designed this BOV with a much lighter and responsive spring that will blow off boost pressure even with the low vaccuum of a 2-stroke.

ChargeTube_zps137688f0.jpg

Mounting hardware: Each Aerocharger RMK kit includes extra mounting hardware for several model years, giving the customer flexibility should they decide to change sleds.

Manifold Tap Kit: The blow-off valve requires a fitting to be installed on the engine side in order to operate; to save you a trip to the hardware store, Aerocharger includes a mainfold tap kit with the correct drill bit and fine-thread tap that will be needed.

Hardware_zps232b5662.jpg

Fuel Lines: Aerocharger uses OEM-quality custom fuel lines with crimp-on fittings. For Aerocharger, providing fuel lines for our customers that can be safely and properly secured is a top priority.

FuelLine_zps354fc324.jpg

Solenoid Valve: Helps the fuel controller calibrate to atmospheric pressure on startup. Pre-assembled, and all hoses are pre-labeled for quick connecting during install.

Solenoid_zpsc13d59eb.jpg

RMK Fuel Controller: The pressure sensor on the fuel controller works in concert with the solenoid valve to compensate for ambient atmosphere, providing the proper fuel for the engine during changes in altitude. The controller wiring is fitted with factory connectors for easy plug-and-play installation. Aerocharger has also included an add-on port to allow future upgrades to this kit.

FuelController_zpsa1aa75e4.jpg

INTERCOOLING
RMK Air-to-water Airbox: The Aerocharger RMK airbox is coated stainless steel, and features an integrated air-to-water intercooler. The fuel rail and injectors are pre-installed, and everything is machined for an easy, secure fitting. The design of the Airbox closely mimics the OEM airbox to maintain stock tuning advantages.

AW-ICAirbox_zps56f6b3a6.jpg

RMK Air-to-Water Lines: The Aerocharger Air-to-Water intercooling system uses the RMKs engine coolant to cool the intercooler core. This system provides a consistent temperature drop, making tuning predictable whether you have nice riding weather or below-freezing temperatures.

GUAGES
Innovate AFR Guage: This AFR guage features a green-yellow-red LED ring - most riders don't have time to process AFR numbers on the hill, and this guage provides a quick visual reference. Aerocharger has pre-programmed this guage to display the ranges we like to see for each color - this guage will sit between yellow and red at idle and low speeds, and expect it to display green at wide open throttle.

AFRguage_zps8026f994.jpg

Boost Guage: Aerocharger supplies custom-sized boost guages for the '13 season. Both AFR and Boost Guages now mount directly to the RMKs plastics - the guage pod from previous systems has been eliminated for better looks and durability.

BoostGuage_zps1a47db34.jpg

CLUTCHING
Helix: Aerocharger worked with TEAM industries to develop a clutch setup for Aerocharged RMKs. Our custom twin-angle helix provides two-in-one options for clutching. The first setting offers better performance for hill climbing and racing, and the second setting provides an improved backshift for best clutching during tree-riding and technical terrain.

Springs: Upgraded primary and secondary clutch springs are included, based on testing by Aerocharger and TEAM industries. These springs were selected for the best balance of engagement, shifting smoothness, and good backshift.

Clutch Weights: An adjustable clutch-weight kit is included to fine-tune the clutching based on factors such as rider weight, track modifications, riding environment, or personal preference. A guide and recommended settings are included with the clutch-weight kit.

ClutchKit_zps4f3b5379.jpg

The 2013 Aerocharger Polaris systems are engineered to prioritize system efficiency, offering reliable and ridable power. Reach us at (913) 829-3400 or post us any questions here, and thanks for reading! :yo:

RMKinstalled_zps985daa9e.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Nice looking setup... clean and simple.

What kind of a pump system for circulating the intercooler fluid?

How much silencing is designed into the muffler and are there options in this area?

Thanks,
MH.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I like this turbo kit and would like to run it on my sled, but there is no feedback on the 600 kit.

I've gotten feedback from 3 owners of this kit on 800 pros and there comments were not positive.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
this is a very interesting kit i've seen variable vane tech in diesel engines with mixed results,p/s i'm sure the engine water pump circulates through the intercooler.

Aerocharger_jerry

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2012
www.facebook.com
AK: Aerocharger is now in our third season of systems for the RMK line. Not sure what they might be referring to, but we continue to develop our technology from year to year; in particular, our fueling for the RMK gets much testing and probably reflects our biggest refinements. Check with us for a list of turbo installers in your area - they tend to be a great resource about what does or doesn't work.

mountainhorse & mtncat1: You're correct, our intercooler uses the engine water pump with the RMKs excellent cooling system.

The muffler is packed with steel fiber for sound dampening. Aerocharger's high-flow design makes it slightly louder than stock, but it's safely within all noise regulations and not particularly bothersome.

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
I like this turbo kit and would like to run it on my sled, but there is no feedback on the 600 kit.

I've gotten feedback from 3 owners of this kit on 800 pros and there comments were not positive.

Just have to ask, what problems did they have with the Aero kit? You can answer me by pm if you want.

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
I must say that this kit looks very clean and simple. Have you considered to replace the controll box to something more stable? I know people with different kits that use a controller like this and their stories aint good, but then again i dont know how they tuned their boxes.

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
I installed a 2012 aerocharger kit on my 2011 rmk pro last season. I was really happy with the aerocharger turbo and most of the kit. The kit was very easy to install, and came out very clean. However I fought fueling issues on this kit all year, I was very VERY disappointed with the dobeck fuel control box that aerocharger is using. Now I have to say aerocharger had excellent customer support in that they remapped the controller twice, and even sent me a new fuel controller to try and solve the bogging issues we are experiencing. So I am disappointed to see that they are still using the dobeck fuel controller.

For this year we are going out on our own and trying the boost-it extra injector fuel controller. The boost-it fuel controller just controls the secondary injectors. We also are trying the 12 silber billet intake boot. The silber intake boot moves the secondary injectors to the reed side of the throttle plates, opposed being located in the air box.

I would recommend all the aerocharger components, except for the fuel controller. In my opinion they supplied excellent customer support in that they kept trying to help us figure out the fueling issues we were experiencing. I just got tired of trying to make it work, and decided to try an approach that I hope will address the issues that I see with the extreme bog that I experience when boondocking in tight spots.

N

N.A84

Nov 19, 2012
norway
I installed a 2012 aerocharger kit on my 2011 rmk pro last season. I was really happy with the aerocharger turbo and most of the kit. The kit was very easy to install, and came out very clean. However I fought fueling issues on this kit all year, I was very VERY disappointed with the dobeck fuel control box that aerocharger is using. Now I have to say aerocharger had excellent customer support in that they remapped the controller twice, and even sent me a new fuel controller to try and solve the bogging issues we are experiencing. So I am disappointed to see that they are still using the dobeck fuel controller.

For this year we are going out on our own and trying the boost-it extra injector fuel controller. The boost-it fuel controller just controls the secondary injectors. We also are trying the 12 silber billet intake boot. The silber intake boot moves the secondary injectors to the reed side of the throttle plates, opposed being located in the air box.

I would recommend all the aerocharger components, except for the fuel controller. In my opinion they supplied excellent customer support in that they kept trying to help us figure out the fueling issues we were experiencing. I just got tired of trying to make it work, and decided to try an approach that I hope will address the issues that I see with the extreme bog that I experience when boondocking in tight spots.

You are actually the 3rd aerocharger customer that say the same thing, fuelling issues and bogging problems. I have talked to some silber customers also, some of them went for Boost it for the same reasons. Now i have decided to go for Boost it controller if i am going for aero kit.

MURFDOG

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2008
I'm also going that route with a stand alone heat exchanger.
We'll see what goes.

Premium Features