• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Otovox ABS Base 20 avy pack

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well I decided to pull the trigger on a new avy pack. (no pun intended)

I’ve been running the BCA’s since I started wearing an avy pack and wanted to try something different. After looking around and having the chance to ride with Dan Adams recently, I decided to try an Ortovox, ABS Base 20.

Here is a link to the pack itself,

http://www.ortovox.com/4496-base-20-abs-3.html

I purchased the pack and the M.A.S.S. (Modular Airbag Safety System) together and the activation unit separately, in order to save a little. On a side note, if you are looking into ABS avy packs, just make sure you get all three as all three are needed to make the system fully operational.

1a3a45c92ab1a50bf174fc1f4575b882.jpg

e068846427395939fa501d4d53aeae69.jpg

The pack itself is actually a really nice, well-built back pack that can be used as the avy pack or a standalone backpack, if you remove the airbag system. The straps are wide at the top and pre-curved for added comfort. The back panel comes with six evenly spaced pads for your back, plus it adds an area for air to move through. The chest strap is adjustable for height, and the buckle comes with a built in whistle.

f121bd82e828a35d0ff3aa925ff874e3.jpg

f31c6192f0622544c95830772568d56f.jpg

The waist strap is a little different as it buckles towards the left side instead of the front. The buckle is basic and to release it you need to depress the red button and slide back. For larger guys this may prove to be difficult, if you choose to use your right hand and reach over. I found that it was the easiest to just release the buckle by reaching down with my left hand and doing it with my left hand. Keep in mind, you may have to pull a glove off, depending on the type you are wearing. The leg strap comes sewn on and has a large re-enforced loop for the, waist strap to go through.

a690d60354a95b94559408cc39a4a706.jpg

The compartments consist of two main compartments and two smaller pockets, one on the right side of your waist and the other on the top of the pack. The two main compartments have two different colored zipper pulls. Your avy gear goes into the pocket with bright red pulls while, the other compartment has black zipper pulls. This little feature could potentially save seconds in an emergency, by telling riding partners, to open the red zippers, to get gear.

069a2223b577d18709de00174ae5fca1.jpg

9ac0ec22e5eba12e50475d2c491a7c55.jpg

The avy gear compartment is the largest and offers quite a bit room. In fact I have my avy gear in there with some other “extra” stuff in zip lock baggies at the bottom, out of the way. On the back side of this compartment you will find another zipper which accesses the air bag system itself. Inside this compartment is where the M.A.S.S. will be installed, with Velcro and then finally zipped shut. Once it’s zipped shut, it’s completely out of the way of anything else.

4903f6e426691ccff7922cdf79cd71de.jpg

545cef65479a5cdcb78769cc30a30732.jpg

The second outside compartment is a little smaller than the first. Keep in mind this pack is slightly smaller than the BCA Throttle 22 (which is what I just came from) but slightly larger than the BCA Float 18. Now for me, I think this should work just fine for what I need as I don’t carry a ton of stuff on my back, just the essentials and the rest goes into my tunnel pack.

b235c89f274cab7b9dd705aa990d4fc7.jpg

Inside each of the two main compartments you’ll find a zippered pouch for small items as well. With these two small pouches, you also have the small pouch at the top of the pack along with the pouch on the right side waist strap as well.

36dfed2acb231313eb851c8eb860c9df.jpg

fc74661f5b3109ab05f3c7caedfde025.jpg

Now onto the M.A.S.S. unit and activation unit that is needed to make this pack an avy pack. The M.A.S.S. unit installs in the pack with a system of aluminum hooks and color coded Velcro. Once it’s installed its secure and no need to worry about it. The activation hose can be ran through either of the shoulder straps for preference. Obviously most riders will probably run it through the right side but in the event your personal needs, dictate it needing to be on the left side, you can. The other thing that is nice about the having both shoulder straps open is the ability to run a radio should mic through the opposite side. This way you have communications right there ready to go.

The activation unit itself consists of the nitrogen bottle and the activation T handle. ABS does offer two bottles, steel and carbon but the carbon is NOT available in the U.S. at this time. Trust me, I even tried to get one out of Germany and Spain but no go. They assured me that the carbon bottle will be available in the U.S. but they did not know when. The biggest bonus on the carbon bottle is obviously the weight; it’s half the weight of the steel bottle. Not to say the steel one is a tank, but every little bit does help by the end of the day.

Once the activation handle is in place it does offer a little adjustment with the plate that it is mounted to. It can be canted a little if needed or you can keep it straight. You can also adjust the height of where you want the handle, which is nice as well. When the pack is not in use there is a bright red safety cover that covers the handle, to protect against accidental discharge. When in the field, the cover unsnaps, swivels up and around and out of the way.

dfe551f5c6e23cf9c089850a4807ef46.jpg

4f0ef94185ec3445fbb13bba35959717.jpg

All in all the overall quality of the pack and the accessories is top notch!! The fit and feel is good but I need some time riding with it to make the best determination.

4cf033f09b2ca19b26ce10c1ff146e14.jpg

For comparison, these are set up ready to go weights as advertised,

Ortovox ABS Base 20 Carbon 2835 gr.

Steel 3070 gr.

BCA Throttle 22 2624 gr.

BCA Turbo 25 2984 gr.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Well I decided to pull the trigger on a new avy pack. (no pun intended)

I’ve been running the BCA’s since I started wearing an avy pack and wanted to try something different. After looking around and having the chance to ride with Dan Adams recently, I decided to try an Ortovox, ABS Base 20.

Here is a link to the pack itself,

http://www.ortovox.com/4496-base-20-abs-3.html

I purchased the pack and the M.A.S.S. (Modular Airbag Safety System) together and the activation unit separately, in order to save a little. On a side note, if you are looking into ABS avy packs, just make sure you get all three as all three are needed to make the system fully operational.

1a3a45c92ab1a50bf174fc1f4575b882.jpg

e068846427395939fa501d4d53aeae69.jpg

The pack itself is actually a really nice, well-built back pack that can be used as the avy pack or a standalone backpack, if you remove the airbag system. The straps are wide at the top and pre-curved for added comfort. The back panel comes with six evenly spaced pads for your back, plus it adds an area for air to move through. The chest strap is adjustable for height, and the buckle comes with a built in whistle.

f121bd82e828a35d0ff3aa925ff874e3.jpg

f31c6192f0622544c95830772568d56f.jpg

The waist strap is a little different as it buckles towards the left side instead of the front. The buckle is basic and to release it you need to depress the red button and slide back. For larger guys this may prove to be difficult, if you choose to use your right hand and reach over. I found that it was the easiest to just release the buckle by reaching down with my left hand and doing it with my left hand. Keep in mind, you may have to pull a glove off, depending on the type you are wearing. The leg strap comes sewn on and has a large re-enforced loop for the, waist strap to go through.

a690d60354a95b94559408cc39a4a706.jpg

The compartments consist of two main compartments and two smaller pockets, one on the right side of your waist and the other on the top of the pack. The two main compartments have two different colored zipper pulls. Your avy gear goes into the pocket with bright red pulls while, the other compartment has black zipper pulls. This little feature could potentially save seconds in an emergency, by telling riding partners, to open the red zippers, to get gear.

069a2223b577d18709de00174ae5fca1.jpg

9ac0ec22e5eba12e50475d2c491a7c55.jpg

The avy gear compartment is the largest and offers quite a bit room. In fact I have my avy gear in there with some other “extra” stuff in zip lock baggies at the bottom, out of the way. On the back side of this compartment you will find another zipper which accesses the air bag system itself. Inside this compartment is where the M.A.S.S. will be installed, with Velcro and then finally zipped shut. Once it’s zipped shut, it’s completely out of the way of anything else.

4903f6e426691ccff7922cdf79cd71de.jpg

545cef65479a5cdcb78769cc30a30732.jpg

1b7e29ae9fb84e4f2fabb369c09f484b.jpg

The second outside compartment is a little smaller than the first. Keep in mind this pack is slightly smaller than the BCA Throttle 22 (which is what I just came from) but slightly larger than the BCA Float 18. Now for me, I think this should work just fine for what I need as I don’t carry a ton of stuff on my back, just the essentials and the rest goes into my tunnel pack.

b235c89f274cab7b9dd705aa990d4fc7.jpg

Inside each of the two main compartments you’ll find a zippered pouch for small items as well. With these two small pouches, you also have the small pouch at the top of the pack along with the pouch on the right side waist strap as well.

36dfed2acb231313eb851c8eb860c9df.jpg

fc74661f5b3109ab05f3c7caedfde025.jpg

Now onto the M.A.S.S. unit and activation unit that is needed to make this pack an avy pack. The M.A.S.S. unit installs in the pack with a system of aluminum hooks and color coded Velcro. Once it’s installed its secure and no need to worry about it. The activation hose can be ran through either of the shoulder straps for preference. Obviously most riders will probably run it through the right side but in the event your personal needs, dictate it needing to be on the left side, you can. The other thing that is nice about the having both shoulder straps open is the ability to run a radio should mic through the opposite side. This way you have communications right there ready to go.

The activation unit itself consists of the nitrogen bottle and the activation T handle. ABS does offer two bottles, steel and carbon but the carbon is NOT available in the U.S. at this time. Trust me, I even tried to get one out of Germany and Spain but no go. They assured me that the carbon bottle will be available in the U.S. but they did not know when. The biggest bonus on the carbon bottle is obviously the weight; it’s half the weight of the steel bottle. Not to say the steel one is a tank, but every little bit does help by the end of the day.

Once the activation handle is in place it does offer a little adjustment with the plate that it is mounted to. It can be canted a little if needed or you can keep it straight. You can also adjust the height of where you want the handle, which is nice as well. When the pack is not in use there is a bright red safety cover that covers the handle, to protect against accidental discharge. When in the field, the cover unsnaps, swivels up and around and out of the way.

dfe551f5c6e23cf9c089850a4807ef46.jpg

4f0ef94185ec3445fbb13bba35959717.jpg

All in all the overall quality of the pack and the accessories is top notch!! The fit and feel is good but I need some time riding with it to make the best determination.

4cf033f09b2ca19b26ce10c1ff146e14.jpg

For comparison, these are set up ready to go weights as advertised,

Ortovox ABS Base 20 Carbon 2835 gr.

Steel 3070 gr.

BCA Throttle 22 2624 gr.

BCA Turbo 25 2984 gr.

Nice. I grabbed the Ortovox Freeride 26, Very high end components and tailored fit.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
The quality is definitely there!!! This stuff is nice!!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Does this bag use Nitrogen or compressed air? If Nitrogen, isnt that quite expensive to re-charge? Seems like compressed air would be better as it only costs less than $5 to have the cylinders re-filled.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
they are definately not the cheapest pack on the market, but I really like mine. It fits super well, and is very robust. the 20's are definately small but it helps remind me to only keep essentials on me and random heavy junk goes in the tunnel bag. I would buy one again for sure.

ALL ABS units use nitrogen.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Does this bag use Nitrogen or compressed air? If Nitrogen, isnt that quite expensive to re-charge? Seems like compressed air would be better as it only costs less than $5 to have the cylinders re-filled.

Yes, these are nitrogen and they are more expensive to fill. I have had a couple different BCA bags with the compressed air and honeslty I wasn't overly impressed with that system.

Yes, the compressed air is cheap to fill but..........I was tired of having to top it off and sending bottles back that don't hold air. As far as the refill or exhange, it's about a 70.00 exchange fee or about 150.00 to buy a complete secondary bottle and activation unit. Now, if you are fortunate (like myself) you may have a friend that sells ABS and can do the exchange for half. With that said, I thought it was a no brainer to try this system that has been around longer and has an excellent record. Now have I written of BCA completley, absolutely not. If they happen to come out with something great, I'll be standing in line to check them out.

Now as far as overall quality, I personnally think the ABS is a little better quality pack and the fit is excellent as well. Now obviously all this comes at an added expense and that is where you have to decide for yourself.

Keep in mind, if your interested in an ABS pack, shop around. You would be amazed at how much I actually saved by doing a little digging!!!!! If your interested, PM me and I'll fill ya in. :face-icon-small-win

I guess I started looking at it this way, I'm buying this as an insurance policy and I need to have complete faith in it. If I have to spend a little more and have a little more faith, I have no problem with that, it's my life I'm dealing with and potentially protecting it, so I can keep doing the things I love.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yes, these are nitrogen and they are more expensive to fill. I have had a couple different BCA bags with the compressed air and honeslty I wasn't overly impressed with that system.

Yes, the compressed air is cheap to fill but..........I was tired of having to top it off and sending bottles back that don't hold air. As far as the refill or exhange, it's about a 70.00 exchange fee or about 150.00 to buy a complete secondary bottle and activation unit. Now, if you are fortunate (like myself) you may have a friend that sells ABS and can do the exchange for half. With that said, I thought it was a no brainer to try this system that has been around longer and has an excellent record. Now have I written of BCA completley, absolutely not. If they happen to come out with something great, I'll be standing in line to check them out.

Now as far as overall quality, I personnally think the ABS is a little better quality pack and the fit is excellent as well. Now obviously all this comes at an added expense and that is where you have to decide for yourself.

Keep in mind, if your interested in an ABS pack, shop around. You would be amazed at how much I actually saved by doing a little digging!!!!! If your interested, PM me and I'll fill ya in. :face-icon-small-win

I guess I started looking at it this way, I'm buying this as an insurance policy and I need to have complete faith in it. If I have to spend a little more and have a little more faith, I have no problem with that, it's my life I'm dealing with and potentially protecting it, so I can keep doing the things I love.
I bought a new Ortovox Freeride 26 complete from BCR for $700 this summer. Very good conforming fit, I removerd the back support since already wear a Tek Vest, Pretty lite system that way.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I have the ABS Vario, similar to your set up, zip on pack. I now have a 5L, a 15L, and 25L, makes it pretty versital. Switched to right hand pull, and trigger and canister exchange is forty bucks, not so bad. Wondering if the Ortovox will zip onto my ABS base?

I'm going to guess not??? The Ortovox pack is stand alone and does not offer the versatility of the ABS Vario system.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
It is not that nitrogen cost more, it is that we exchange and fill all bottles in North America in langley, BC! We do this so we can control the way the bottle is cleaned, weighed, filled and completed before being sent back to the shops. It is a 40.00 charge which at once a year is not a lot, if you blow it off using it, then I don't think anyone would complain on the price after it saving you. It is the fastest way as well since all you do is walk in pay 40.00 and they hand you a new canister and handle. All other systems you have to wait 25-30 minutes while they are filled properly.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
It is not that nitrogen cost more, it is that we exchange and fill all bottles in North America in langley, BC! We do this so we can control the way the bottle is cleaned, weighed, filled and completed before being sent back to the shops. It is a 40.00 charge which at once a year is not a lot, if you blow it off using it, then I don't think anyone would complain on the price after it saving you. It is the fastest way as well since all you do is walk in pay 40.00 and they hand you a new canister and handle. All other systems you have to wait 25-30 minutes while they are filled properly.

I wish ABS made it a set $40.00. My local dealer wanted around $75 for an exchange. That was summer 2013. I haven't checked back with them since.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I wish ABS made it a set $40.00. My local dealer wanted around $75 for an exchange. That was summer 2013. I haven't checked back with them since.

Sorry to hear this! We are governed by abs Europe and they don't make it easy for dealers to stock tons of canisters, we are trying to improve this. It is not a money maker for the dealers and although I am not justify it, find a dealer that will work with you on the reasonable cost and stick with them. At that price it is cheaper for u to mail it back to us in Langley and have us mail one back! I always encourage owners to have a spare canister so they can do this or if they blow the bag off by accident on a trip, no matter what airbag they are using. Cheers Dave

Premium Features