• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Other PM advice on 02 800 MC

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
This year on our trip out west a lost the bearing on the drive shaft of my 02 800 MC EFI. I have the shaft out and skid dropped and track rolled up and waiting for warmer weather to start the repairs. My question for others that have owned this sled is what else now that it is in a few pieces should I look to replace on it? I was planning on working on the shocks and boggies on the skid and the shocks up front but what other wear parts would be smart to replace? The sled has about 2600 miles on it.

thanks for any info.

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
U could freshin up the top end with some new pistons and a light honing. I had a piston come apart and take out most of the motor. Just some cheap insurance imho.

Sprocket

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I have same sled, I also had drive shaft bearing on speedo side go out as well other is the stator went out at 1500 miles. I would pull it and get it rewound for 200.00. Probabaly not a bad idea to freshen the top end.

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
ok i think i remember seeing on here a place to send them to I will do a search and look for the link. It looks like i will have more then one coffee can with parts in them. LOL

sounds like a top end project is also in order so I will get that lined up. My cousin used to turn wrenches so he will help me get along with this over the long hot summer. On the honing part though is that somehthing you take to a machine shop and polish out?

thanks for the info I sure learned a lot being out about 10 miles from the truck with a track that wouldn't turn. On the brite side I sure the heck met some real nice people from Utah!

CPA is on this fourm and he and his dad saved my skin. My cuz and I were down to a 600 and it was not going to pull my cat and our 2 butts out of there.

R

richardsb014

Nov 28, 2007
Wyoming
A hone is where you run a piece of equipment similar to a knife stone through your cylinder to roughen it up so oil is better retained on the lining. A smooth bore will allow oil to get scraped off by the rings and can cause premature wear.

Before you hone though you need to check the ring gap with a new set of rings to ensure proper piston to cylinder clearance. The assistance of a knowledgeable person is important with both this and the honing. Easy fix (but a bit spendy) if the cylinder is out of tolerance.

Along with this, the power valves will need cleaning and the cables checked for proper adjustment, along with a primary and secondary clutch inspection You will again need to have the assistance of a knowledgeable sled mechanic to look for defects that could affect reliability.

Pull the chain case to drain all the old oil and check the chain for defects, proper tension, etc.

All that I’ve mentioned, and what you have planned, will be great insurance against breakdowns in the field. If you 02 hasn’t been through any of what I mentioned, this summer you should make a point of it.

Bart

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Thanks Bart the chain case is drained right now because of getting it all a part. So I need to look for an engine shop around here that would do something like that because this doesn't sound like something that I would have a dealer do.

thanks again for all the info.

Y
Nov 30, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Had the same sled - the thing ate bearings on the left side (replaced two during the time I owned it). Recommend you check your motor mounts and alignment to be sure all is tight and lined up. Also be sure your track is not too tight. I snapped the front drive axel in half (couldn't belive it) and we were not jumping or doing anything real crazy with the sled at the time. Having the track to tight can really strain the shaft when the suspension compresses.

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
I would say that the track was set about right I know it had some slack in it if the sled was lifted off the ground. But I will go through and look at all of those things. I will probably take it in after all the other work is done for adjustments to the APV and clutch work.

thanks again

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
Had the same sled - the thing ate bearings on the left side (replaced two during the time I owned it). Recommend you check your motor mounts and alignment to be sure all is tight and lined up. Also be sure your track is not too tight. I snapped the front drive axel in half (couldn't belive it) and we were not jumping or doing anything real crazy with the sled at the time. Having the track to tight can really strain the shaft when the suspension compresses.

I agree, Cat's recommendation on track tightness is too tight, loosen as much as possible, but not enough to ratchet.

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Ok understood I will be making sure of that in the future. You know I read a lot on here about installing drop brackets and some other mods to chage from what I understand the angle of the track in the front and maybe help to keep the nose down a bit. But it would seem to me that might put more of a strain on that shaft and bearing so do you guys think it is best to leave it and run it as it is? I mean seeing how I don't get out there but once a year and it is always hit and miss on riding conditions I'm not sure it would really matter. But I would be interested in hearing opinions if you have done this to one before. I will keep this sled for a long time and would hope to pass it on to my son when he is ready to start riding. He's only six now so it will be around for a while before he is ready to go. But even if I upgrade it will make a great back up sled for our group trips every year.

Thanks again for all the posts back I have always enjoyed reading on this 4m and just haven't posted much becasue I'm just not as knowledgeable as others so just not a lot to add.

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
If u don't feel comfortable honing the cylinders urself then just take them to a reliable machine shop. There r many things I could rcomend u do to this sled but don't know if u want to tackle them. Yes, there r some pretty good peeps here in Utah, but some jackazzes as well. Glad u ran into some of the good on ur trip!

Sprocket

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
yeah there is good and bad all over lord knows WI riders have been in the news enough this year and you talk about Jacka$$es man those dudes wrote the book you know. Well if you get bored and what to PM me a list of stuff or something it's a long hot spell coming up so I have lots of time. Like I said I really do plan on keeping this sled there isn't a real need to sell it or anything so things that might improve it and make it more ride able and reliable I would certainly look at.

here are some of the things that are on it now nothing too serious:
Vforce reeds
MBRP can
Ole's riser block
Two primary clutches one for low elev and one for high like 7 -9 K setup.

I picked the sled up in 04 off of this site from a guy that used to ride it in Cooke mostly. I've taken it just about everywhere except there.

Even though it might not be something that I would do myself I have a lot of help from others that know much more then I. I also work for a spray paint booth manufacture and we have about as capable of a shop for structural beam and sheet metal work of all kinds that you would ever find anywhere else in the world. I really mean that too our stuff is installed all over the world and ranges in size from bench top booths to 747 booths. Turrets, punches and presses are all in our shop as well as programmers and designers. So who knows it's kind of a part now so I might as well think about it.

Premium Features