• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ON-THE-SNOW RIDE IMPRESSIONS: 2016 AXYS-PRO RMK ... OUR DAY IN APINE WYO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
The new footwells look dramatically better.

Are the drop brackets steel? And are there pics of them anywhere?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The new footwells look dramatically better.

Are the drop brackets steel? And are there pics of them anywhere?

Tor, check the pictures in the West Yellowstone thread. Those are not great, but the best ones I've seen.

Last edited:

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Does anyone have any idea on a base price for the snowcheck? Even just a educated guess :face-icon-small-con

My dealers mentioned some cool things to me like free shock upgrades money off of next years sleds, rebates right off the bat, and some more too with a snowcheck... Very very tempting....

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Does anyone have any idea on a base price for the snowcheck? Even just a educated guess :face-icon-small-con

My dealers mentioned some cool things to me like free shock upgrades money off of next years sleds, rebates right off the bat, and some more too with a snowcheck... Very very tempting....

Based on last year's prices I would say MSRP will be very close to 13,000. I'm betting a guy will get a snowchecked one in the range of 12.1 to 12.5.

Only guessing.

2fun4u

Feb 20, 2002
Mountain Home, ID
www.2coolairvents.com
Axys - Woman's perspective

Hey everyone- It’s taken me awhile to catch up on all of this, but I thought I better chime in on this since Alan and I were both fortunate enough to be asked to ride the new Axys. What a great experience! I know some of this has been touched on, but I couldn’t keep up with it, so just wrote some thoughts – from a woman’s prospective.

As you know, they had a few 2015's on hand so we could do a good comparison of the two. 10 minutes on the Axys and I had NO interest at all to get back on the 2015.

The Axys platform is almost intutive when you are riding it. It is so nimble you honestly think it and the sled responds. The new Liberty motor is the most throttle responsive sled i've ridden since the days of the super-tuned mod sleds we all rode.

Snow conditions were much as they are now, spring-like. A little soft in the trees, but for the most part, set up.

Key points I observed:

First impression: Looks and initially 'feels like home.' When you step onto the sled, you notice that you are stepping a little bit higher than normal with the raised the front end. When I first hit the throttle, I almost threw myself off the back! It took a tiny bit of retraining my brain to get used to that - but it is awesome! Felt like the old days when you super-tuned your mod sled and had that super snappy throttle response.

Side Hilling: Yep - SO SO easy! I currently ride a 2013 163, which I find easier to hold in a sidehill than the 155. We were in the bottom of a creekbed and I went around a tree and immediately into a slow, controlled, easy sidehill for as long as I wanted. No thinking about where to put my feet, no thought about how much to counter steer – it just went. Very smooth and easy to hold on the hill. No washout. When I got back to the bottom (which I did in my own sweet time!), I got on the 2015 and around the tree I went, completely missed the sidehill, back down and around the tree again and, with MUCH more effort, sidehilled it up. The 2015 felt very heavy coming immediately off the Axys and I had to think about how to hold the sidehill.

Trail handling: Unlike some of those who rode the sled, I didn’t find it unruly on the trail. Initially, I was hoping nobody was watching! Then I got used to the throttle response and the movement of the sled and had a great time on it. It did feel more tippy than my 13, but I think that all comes down to the setup more than anything.

Engine: Engine feels responsive and very smooth – like buttah! Having ridden Polaris nearly all of my riding life, and lost an engine or two, I remained skeptical throughout the presentation. Polaris reps said they have had this motor out there in the racing market and have had VERY good luck with it. Like everyone, my biggest question was, “How many miles do you actually have on this motor?” Of course, they didn't have the statistics with them so far from home, but they said that failures have been all but non-existent. This motor is so smooth, not near the vibration of my 2013, throttle pull is so light and throttle response is incredible. I would still like to know the top miles they have on the motors they’ve been running, and if those motors are EXACTLY like the ones going into production.

Words to describe this sled: Game changer! Nimble! As a woman, and someone who is over 40, I want to be able to ride all day and not feel dead at the end of the day. THIS sled is going to do that for so many people! I thought I had that with my 2013, little did I know!

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Hey everyone- It’s taken me awhile to catch up on all of this, but I thought I better chime in on this since Alan and I were both fortunate enough to be asked to ride the new Axys. What a great experience! I know some of this has been touched on, but I couldn’t keep up with it, so just wrote some thoughts – from a woman’s prospective.

As you know, they had a few 2015's on hand so we could do a good comparison of the two. 10 minutes on the Axys and I had NO interest at all to get back on the 2015.

The Axys platform is almost intutive when you are riding it. It is so nimble you honestly think it and the sled responds. The new Liberty motor is the most throttle responsive sled i've ridden since the days of the super-tuned mod sleds we all rode.

Snow conditions were much as they are now, spring-like. A little soft in the trees, but for the most part, set up.

Key points I observed:

First impression: Looks and initially 'feels like home.' When you step onto the sled, you notice that you are stepping a little bit higher than normal with the raised the front end. When I first hit the throttle, I almost threw myself off the back! It took a tiny bit of retraining my brain to get used to that - but it is awesome! Felt like the old days when you super-tuned your mod sled and had that super snappy throttle response.

Side Hilling: Yep - SO SO easy! I currently ride a 2013 163, which I find easier to hold in a sidehill than the 155. We were in the bottom of a creekbed and I went around a tree and immediately into a slow, controlled, easy sidehill for as long as I wanted. No thinking about where to put my feet, no thought about how much to counter steer – it just went. Very smooth and easy to hold on the hill. No washout. When I got back to the bottom (which I did in my own sweet time!), I got on the 2015 and around the tree I went, completely missed the sidehill, back down and around the tree again and, with MUCH more effort, sidehilled it up. The 2015 felt very heavy coming immediately off the Axys and I had to think about how to hold the sidehill.

Trail handling: Unlike some of those who rode the sled, I didn’t find it unruly on the trail. Initially, I was hoping nobody was watching! Then I got used to the throttle response and the movement of the sled and had a great time on it. It did feel more tippy than my 13, but I think that all comes down to the setup more than anything.

Engine: Engine feels responsive and very smooth – like buttah! Having ridden Polaris nearly all of my riding life, and lost an engine or two, I remained skeptical throughout the presentation. Polaris reps said they have had this motor out there in the racing market and have had VERY good luck with it. Like everyone, my biggest question was, “How many miles do you actually have on this motor?” Of course, they didn't have the statistics with them so far from home, but they said that failures have been all but non-existent. This motor is so smooth, not near the vibration of my 2013, throttle pull is so light and throttle response is incredible. I would still like to know the top miles they have on the motors they’ve been running, and if those motors are EXACTLY like the ones going into production.

Words to describe this sled: Game changer! Nimble! As a woman, and someone who is over 40, I want to be able to ride all day and not feel dead at the end of the day. THIS sled is going to do that for so many people! I thought I had that with my 2013, little did I know!

Good too know about the trail handling. Being in the midwest we tend to take the trail a bit to get to our play areas. I have been trail riding a RMK since 06 so I am used to a skinnier tippier sled on the trail. I have logged a lot of miles riding them as such so I am sure I will be fine.

D
Feb 7, 2014
Revelstoke, BC
Does anyone have an idea if/how the new axis will affect the riders positioning on the sled? i.e. more forward or rearward. Distance footwells to spindles and handlebar to spindles may have changed? Thanks in advance.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Does anyone have an idea if/how the new axis will affect the riders positioning on the sled? i.e. more forward or rearward. Distance footwells to spindles and handlebar to spindles may have changed? Thanks in advance.

From the overlay in this thread: http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392381
It looks like the basic dimensions and riding position remains very close to the PRO RMK other than Higher by 1 1/2"-2".

Colorado Matt has a good review in his blog as well as being reposted on his own thread here on SW, where he ( I'm paraphrasing) says the same thing.

There is also a post on here where they took both the PRO RMK and the AXYS RMK and superimposed Actual dimensions of suspension mounting points and other known dimensions for comparison. From memory most critical dimensions where very close (a few thousandths of an inch) other than the height.

FWIW

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
The rider position is almost identical. The bars are a little narrower. The footwells are a little tigher. Other than that its the same.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
So here is my question to the lucky few who rode?

We (me specifically) do mods to the pro, narrow the front end, put on different shocks, lower and narrow the handlebars, increase HP with some variation of a stage kit, track and driver changes, etc....

How close are these modded sleds to the new AXY's? This is what Burandt, Adams, and all those guys where doing as well?

So now Polaris has responded and implemented those aftermarket changes, a great thing in my mind, but should I throw out my baby with the bath water?

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I am betting it will run better. You know the days of building mods and after you had them a few years the factory always comes out with something that is really close unless you really went wild with your mod. If you had 170 hp mod and the axys was 160, well 10 hp isn't that much and the axys has a bigger track, lighter weight, and less drag in the snow. It is going to be a given that you won't be happy with the shocks. I too, am in the same boat as you. I have a 13 with exits all the way around and air loc running boards, different bumpers,wrap, venting and different front end. I wanted to put a super charger on but not sure I want to do it on old iron. Matt entz told me he thought the raised chassis was going to work better than mine with the boards raised 2 inches. I am probably going to fold and get a new one.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Can anyone who rode the sled speak of the power compared to a Cat or Doo? Ive heard itll have close to the same power as them but nobody has mentioned if they think it pulls harder or close but not as hard? Just curious

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
Can anyone who rode the sled speak of the power compared to a Cat or Doo? Ive heard itll have close to the same power as them but nobody has mentioned if they think it pulls harder or close but not as hard? Just curious

Between the Cat and Doo, the new 800HO closely resembles the Cat 800 in power and pull. Due to the weight difference however, I think it would out pull a Cat. Its not quite as smooth as the Etec, but getting close!

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
I want to know if any changes were made within the electrical system? Did Moutainhorse or Winter Brew have a chance to look this deep into this sled? Burandt runs turbo's and if he had any influence on polaris for mountain specific changes this should be a big one that Polaris should have addressed?

2fun4u

Feb 20, 2002
Mountain Home, ID
www.2coolairvents.com
As stated by others, rider position is virtually the same.

As far as power, it seems to be comparable to that of the cat and Doo. It's take a side-by-side comparison top do that, but I think they'll be close.

I think it's commendable that the manufacturers see what the riding public is doing and trying to incorporate that into the sleds from the factory. Perhaps they are listening after all!

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Chaz,

What specifically are you asking??

I'll do my best to answer.

I want to know if any changes were made within the electrical system? Did Moutainhorse or Winter Brew have a chance to look this deep into this sled? Burandt runs turbo's and if he had any influence on polaris for mountain specific changes this should be a big one that Polaris should have addressed?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.

I did express to the engineers the issues we have seen with Pro electrical issues in the past and what we did to address them. They were receptive and said it was good info. I know they had addressed a couple small issues each year of the Pro but I don't know if the particular issues I mentioned are common or not. FYI, those issues being moisture in electrical plugs, corroded grounds on new sleds and water getting on the stator. All easily cured, but should be addressed in assembly of the sled with stainless fasteners, dielectric silicone gel and a piece of tape.
Are these the sort of issues you were referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features