• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ON-THE-SNOW RIDE IMPRESSIONS: 2016 AXYS-PRO RMK ... OUR DAY IN APINE WYO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
PV, someone started they say the primary had been written on with a sharpie. 120/330 (I believe).

It pulled 8300 the entire 2.5+ hours I was on it at all elevations starting in Alpine and being up on the mountain.

with the lower engagement at about 3700, I think their philosophy is going with a bit lighter clutching.

However I could be way off base here too.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
tried to scale the two as much as possible. its close if you look at the skid mounting dimensions, they are only out by a few decimals.

Definitely seeing a decreased attack angle there.

However i think the axys is zoomed in a little too much. (Larger than life)

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
So probably a stupid question but can you powdercoat forged aluminum or does it weaken it?:noidea:

My GUESS is that it's safe. Powdercoating is only a couple hundred degrees.

I don't know for sure, please correct me if I'm wrong

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
the powder coating is all going to depend on the exact process used. If the coater baked at too high of temp on any alloy you are subject to changing the properties of said alloy. using low temp powders and a low temp bake you should be alright. Time in the bake also plays a roll

Also as to the clutching, I compared what came stock in our 137" axys to what was coming stock in the pros. I cant remember the numbers but it was a lighter spring. They really do seem to hold rpm all day long tho with the stock setup. This is just my thought, but the lighter crank with the lack of gear driven oil pump could be the root cause. Easier, faster spinning

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
PV, someone started they say the primary had been written on with a sharpie. 120/330 (I believe).

It pulled 8300 the entire 2.5+ hours I was on it at all elevations starting in Alpine and being up on the mountain.

with the lower engagement at about 3700, I think their philosophy is going with a bit lighter clutching.

However I could be way off base here too.

This pic shows what appears to be written on the primary in sharpie, 120/310 spring. I don't know what the Pro's spring rate would be at that elevation.

primary clutch spring.jpg

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My GUESS is that it's safe. Powdercoating is only a couple hundred degrees.

I don't know for sure, please correct me if I'm wrong

Aluminum loses it's temper if it's heated to 212 degrees or more. The key to powdercoating aluminum is to only have it in the oven just long enough for the powder to uniformly melt on the surface without letting the temperature of the aluminum get too high other than right on the surface.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Anodizing the A-arms would be the way to go. No high temperature requirement, more durable and costs less.

I agree, in addition Anodizing is weight gain free, unlike powder coating.

Although anodizing does not respond well to the presents and quantity of certain alloying elements (like zinc) that can have a huge effect on the quality and consistancy of the coating. So depending on what alloy they are forged from, will determine how feasible that option is.

Regardless, I will not powdercoat aluminum, for the reasons already mentioned and others, but I'm sure most of you know that already.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
This pic shows what appears to be written on the primary in sharpie, 120/310 spring. I don't know what the Pro's spring rate would be at that elevation.

Is that the Axys that was in West?

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
I would expect different results with different springs, but with everything being the same, the axys is pulling 2g less weight. From my very limited experience with one axys. It feels very strong, especially down low but I was rather surprised at the end result. If anything, I would have expected more aggressive clutching with the shorter track, smaller lug, and stronger motor.

PV

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Maybe the new cut on the clutch along with new belt make the difference?
Just a thought...

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
I'm a little late to the party. I just got back from a week long sled trip in Alpine. I haven't had a free second to comment here since the curtain was dropped on Friday Jan 30. But as they say, better late than never. As one of the very lucky few who were invited to this event, I wanted to share some key take a ways for those that are interested. Ill keep it brief as all the others have already completed very thorough reviews.

Going into this event, I really thought to myself "what could Polaris possibly do to make the RMK better?" There are some obvious things like more power and reliability, fit and finish, body, etc. But what could they do to actually make it work better in the hills? Well, whatever black magic the engineers at Polaris brewed, it worked.

The new AXYS RMK is a absolute game changer. This may seem like a cheesy catch phrase, however it rings 100% true. Everything that made the 11-15 RMK an amazing mountain sled, the AXYS does even better. If I could put it in numbers, take a current RMK and make it 50% easier to ride. Thats the AXYS.

It gets on edge easier and holds it better. It sidehills very easily and is very predictable. The new track has amazing traction and flotation. It gets up on the snow quicker and with less throttle. The new 800HO is smooth and incredibly powerful. The fit and finish is now where it needs to be. The new LED light is very bright.

I am very comfortable on my current RMK. I absolutely love my 15. During the event we are all encouraged to take out a stock '15 to compare the two. After spending 20 minutes on the '15 and 2 hours on the AXYS, the difference is night and day. When we were wrapping up the event, an engineer asked me how I felt about the AXYS. I replied "it makes me not want to go home and ride my 15"

I will however say there were a few small things I did not care for. The footwell loops seem to be even tighter than the 11-15 RMK's. Too tight for me personally. Also they added some weight back into the muffler. Not a big deal. With an aftermarket can this sled WILL be sub 400lbs! As far as trail manners, this sled is made for off trail. If you are a trail guy who wants the baddest mountain sled, do not buy this. Its tippy in the corners and can make make for a real handful.

All in all it was an amazing experience. I cant thank Polaris and everyone I met for all the hospitality. It was a honor to be able to be on the ground floor of what will be the next greatest step in mountain sled technology. Also thanks to Scott and Kim for being my tour guide to some of the sweetest riding Alpine has to offer!

-Max
Sled the East
www.sledtheeast.com

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I would expect different results with different springs, but with everything being the same, the axys is pulling 2g less weight. From my very limited experience with one axys. It feels very strong, especially down low but I was rather surprised at the end result. If anything, I would have expected more aggressive clutching with the shorter track, smaller lug, and stronger motor.

PV

Three things.

Gearing
Gearing. And you guessed it
Gearing

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Max it was great to meet you.

A short weekend in Alpine and you turn right around and head back out here to the west, eh?
HAHA.

I hear the conditions were GREAT last week too.

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
Meh, it was ok...

10612799_758443267140_3104990140194512076_n.jpg

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
WOW!! I can't buy a powder day like that around here! I got to ride snow like that once this year, then the next weekend I was tied up with company and the weekend after that it was hard a rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features