• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil pump testing?

H
Nov 29, 2015
Utah
Is there a way to test the oil pump on the 900 to make sure it's working? I had the oil cable broke and my mag side spark plug electrode fell out causing piston and cylinder damage, wasn't sure if it was because the oil cable was broke or if my pump is bad or what? Had less than 100 miles on a top end rebuild when this happened and am going back together now and don't want to have the same thing happen again, any ideas or help would be great.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
U can test it OFF the sled only I Think.

Take it off, run an oil line from a jug of oil to the intake of the oil pump and attach the back side of the oil pump shaft to a drill, turn the drill slowly and it should suck from the inlet and pump out the lines. It's all mechanical so pump failure of highly unlikely imo but give this a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You could premix some oil in the gas tank to protect your motor in case your pump is bad. Then you can zip tie the pump wide open, start the sled and let it idle. After a few minutes, maybe 5 if the pump is primed up fully, you will start seeing clouds of smoke around the sled because it is using a bunch of oil.

After a rebuild, I premix the first tank of gas heavy, fill the oil bottle to the full line and go for a ride. After the ride I check the oil bottle and if it is down then I know the pump is bled and working.

Polaris pumps, since the introduction of the domestic twin in 1997, have been designed so that if the cable breaks the pump goes full rich. I have seen a pump fail on a couple of 2000-2005 800s and when it failed it also went full rich. Used a tank of oil with a tank of gas... ran like crap.

sled_guy

Premium Features