• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil being sucked out of the tank into the motor

B
Feb 10, 2015
i ride a 2011 pro 800 just rebuilt the motor and put on the bikeman durability kit with high altitude head and pipe with the power commander. I thought the oil pump went out after it used a whole tank of oil in about 10 miles, so I replaced the oil pump and it worked great for about 15 miles and then started chugging oil again! what is happening and how do I fix it???

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Is there a chance you did not hook up the oil pump lever properly, if it is not then the oil pump could fail to full open?

M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
Yeah, a full tank in 10 miles is like a 1:1 ratio and your sled wouldn't run properly if at all. Having run the pump wide open on my bench,(at 4k rpm) I don't even think it's possible for the pump to move that much oil in such a short time. The 11's had issues with the oil hose rubbing and eventually getting a hole in it. Before I rebuilt mine this fall, I found a place that was just about rubbed through. Check all your connections and hoses.

B
Feb 10, 2015
and the oil pump rod is on the proper side like I said it ran great with the new pump for about 15 miles then it started sucking oil down. is it some thing internal? is the compression from the motor some how sucking the oil out of the tank?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The motor compression is separate from the oil pump feed, they can't interface with each other.

I'm with mt.aero, I don't think you can pump enough oil through the pump to move that much in 10 miles.

But things to check:
1 - You have the lines to the right ports hooked up. The different ports on the oil pump feed different amounts of oil, crank bearings get less than cylinders and such. Make sure you have them hooked up to the right locations.
2 - Check each of the oil ports for their check valves working. The little fitting that the line plugs on to (not the oil pump end the other) is actually a check valve. It doesn't take a lot of pressure to push through it, but it does take a little bit. I use a small syringe and push oil down the lines. When you first start to push there will be resistance and then you'll feel the check valve open and let the oil in.
3 - Make sure you aren't pressurizing the oil reservoir some how. I don't know how that could happen, I've seen them vacuum lock, but not pressurize. Check that your cap is venting.

sled_guy

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Like mt.aero mentioned, I wouldn't think it would be possible for the oil pump to deliver that much oil even if failed to full displacement.

Assuming that you don't have an external leak I wonder if it's possible that the oil pump drive shaft seal has completely failed?

Oil Pump RMK.PNG

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Strange that 2 pumps would do the same but I guess anything is possible.

I couldn't agree more but I can't think of any other way that the oil would flow into the engine fast enough to drain the tank in 10 miles.

There's no other path that I know of???

M

maxitout77

Nov 21, 2010
Vermont
Funny you bring this up, I just sent my '15 to the dealer for similar issue. Drank 3/4 res full of oil in less than 80 miles. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until the motor locked up on the trail home. My guess is the arm stuck open on mine and really ran through the oil in under 10. Ill let you know what it turns out to be with mine.

M

mt.aero

Nov 14, 2011
Steamboat
If you really think it's the pump, pull it off and bench test it and at least rule it in or out. It will never hit the rpm that the motor can bring it to, but use the highest speed drill you can find and wind that thing up. I use an old schrader tire valve as the interface between the drill and pump where you have the threaded part in the drill chuck and the rubber part on the pump shaft. (one of these)
TPMS-rub_snapin.jpg

The pump should 'pulse' a little bit of oil at a time. Even at 4k rpm (my drills top speed), it comes out pretty slow. If it's just pouring out... no bueno. If the pump checks ok, then it has to be a leak somewhere. Like Merlin said, there is no other path for it to enter your motor.

B
Feb 10, 2015
so you guys are not going to believe what I found... or should I say what I didn't find! so I tore the whole motor down to the crank shaft, pulled the oil pump off and much to my surprise there was NO PUMP SHAFT BEARING!!! I didn't catch this when I rebuilt the motor because I never pulled the oil pump off the crank case meaning IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY THIS WAY!!! it ran for three years like this and when I did all the work to the motor it finally had enough compression the suck the seal out of the oil pump... twice. GOOD JOB POLARIS ON QUALITY CONTROL!!!!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
i ride a 2011 pro 800 just rebuilt the motor and put on the bikeman durability kit with high altitude head and pipe with the power commander. I thought the oil pump went out after it used a whole tank of oil in about 10 miles, so I replaced the oil pump and it worked great for about 15 miles and then started chugging oil again! what is happening and how do I fix it???

so you guys are not going to believe what I found... or should I say what I didn't find! so I tore the whole motor down to the crank shaft, pulled the oil pump off and much to my surprise there was NO PUMP SHAFT BEARING!!! I didn't catch this when I rebuilt the motor because I never pulled the oil pump off the crank case meaning IT CAME FROM THE FACTORY THIS WAY!!! it ran for three years like this and when I did all the work to the motor it finally had enough compression the suck the seal out of the oil pump... twice. GOOD JOB POLARIS ON QUALITY CONTROL!!!!

Thanks for the info.

Makes complete sense how that much oil could be consumed in that short of time but I am still confused about one thing.

In your original post you said you replaced the oil pump & then in your last post you say that you never removed the oil pump.

What am I missing?

B
Feb 10, 2015
sorry I wasn't very specific I never removed the oil pump when I rebuilt the motor and when I changed the oil pump for the first time the motor was in the sled so I couldn't see the bearing was missing

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I understand what you are saying now.

After thinking about it, without anything to keep the shaft centralized I'm surprised that something didn't bind up or break. Or cause the water pump to leak at the very least.

Very odd indeed.

rmk oil pump.PNG

Premium Features