• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

oil and go juice

W
Jan 12, 2015
Hey guys,

Just looking for some opinions/ advice here on what fluids would be best in a Ski-doo 600cc H.O., I am asking because there seems to be several different brands out there that claim to be just as good as the next. Are there any brands that stand out from the other? I ran a full synthetic in my car when I tracked it and I never had a problem so I would like to stick with a full synthetic in the sled. What are you guys using and how much did you pay for it (if you dont mind saying). Also, do any of you guys use power additives or race gas? I know there are also several different types and brands out there so is it worth the extra buck and what brand are you using.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
In a 6hundo? Is it an etech? Put 91 non ethanol in, and whatever flavor oil you can get for 25 bucks a gal.

Ace

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I run $12.00 a gallon walmart oil and regular unleaded in my 2007 M8. Last couple of rides of the year I start running ethanol free gas. What I've saved by doing this I could buy a few sets of pistons but haven't had to.

W
Jan 12, 2015
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. Have you guys heard of/used this Klotz stuff? a buddy of mine runs it in dirt bike and he said they make snowmobile oil as well. I've never heard of it before but he said its legit

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I called the valvoline hotline a few years ago to ask why I wasn't seeing any synthetic 2 cycle oil. They said (not word for word, I can't reiterate that) since the 2 cycle oil essentially goes in an out of the engine so quickly there is no need for a synthetic 2 cycle oil.

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. Have you guys heard of/used this Klotz stuff? a buddy of mine runs it in dirt bike and he said they make snowmobile oil as well. I've never heard of it before but he said its legit
I have a couple of stroker big bore quads with high compression. I do have to run race gas and I use Klotz R50 oil with those. I've had great luck with the Klotz R50. I've been thinking about buying new heads and dropping the compression so I can run cheap gas and oil :face-icon-small-hap

W
Jan 12, 2015
I called the valvoline hotline a few years ago to ask why I wasn't seeing any synthetic 2 cycle oil. They said (not word for word, I can't reiterate that) since the 2 cycle oil essentially goes in an out of the engine so quickly there is no need for a synthetic 2 cycle oil.

Well that is very interesting point and I can see where they are coming from but I'm not sure if Im sold on that logic.

W
Jan 12, 2015
I have a couple of stroker big bore quads with high compression. I do have to run race gas and I use Klotz R50 oil with those. I've had great luck with the Klotz R50. I've been thinking about buying new heads and dropping the compression so I can run cheap gas and oil :face-icon-small-hap

You said you have been using Klotz R50 with race gas? I assume you are doing more than just messing around in the country. As of now that is what I have planned until I can get more experienced. Would you still recommend the R50 or should I use something else? I know its not the same platform but Ill take any input I can get.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I have run a LOT of Wally World Super Tech oil in my older sleds without issue.

I run Klotz in my new turbo 600 etec just because I feel a little better doing it and get a fairly good break on it.

More oil is better then non, no matter what the brand, thats usually he issue more then the specific brand.

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
You said you have been using Klotz R50 with race gas? I assume you are doing more than just messing around in the country. As of now that is what I have planned until I can get more experienced. Would you still recommend the R50 or should I use something else? I know its not the same platform but Ill take any input I can get.
I run race gas and klotz R50 in my two stroke quads, They are high compression. High compression builds heat in the cylinder and will cause melt downs. The higher octane gas (race gas 110 octane) burns cooler keeping the heat in the cylinder down. running race gas in a low compression motor will more than likely hurt performance.

Synthetic oil is a great lubricant and helps with performance (I do believe helps keep power valves cleaner also)

Petrolatum based oil helps with keeping things cooler better than synthetic based oil but hurts performance because its a little thicker (but burns a little dirtier)

Klotz R50 is a blend of synthetic and petrolatum

Premium Features