• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Primary - Install or keep as spare?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
2010 M8 162 2,500 miles
Replaced primary clutch at 800 miles, cracked spider.

Transferred springs and weights and steel ring to new clutch and now it has 1700 miles on that clutch.

Generally ride the Snowies, so 500 miles one way and usually 2 days riding.

Last season I bought a new uncalibrated clutch as a spare in case my clutch went out because I was going on a longer trip to MT and ID. Still have the new clutch in box.

Debating whether to buy new springs/weights and install new clutch now and keep the used/good clutch as a spare, or, wait till the current clutch goes at which point I replace it but then I have no spare.

Not sure how much longer I will keep this sled. Maybe thru this season then upgrade, depending how the season goes with snow.

Opinions?

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Tough call.....

I'm not sure of the life span of the 2010 and newer primaries but, I have heard it's considerably less than the pre 2010 version. If that life span is 2,000 - 2,500 mile then you should probably either swap the guts of your current primary into your new spare and run it, or preferably buy another set of weights and springs and build up the new one. It would give you the piece of mind to know you have a brand new clutch on the sled and also the piece of mind to know you have a proven functioning spare sitting there ready to go.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
wtvr

sell old one buy a new one, install your current new one.
you can get 120-160 for your old one. new ones are 320. thats my plan. every season

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
minet, sorry on the neg rep, fat fingers on my phone.

I was just gonna say on my m7 clutch life was almost like clockwork at 2000 miles and I to have heard the newer ones were worse so the op is probably pushing it at 1700 miles

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
put all your springs and weights into the new one and put the other one on the shelf in the trailer.

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
Wish I could answer that. Bought it last year and with the crappy snow year I only got a spin around the house. Definitely a lighter clutch and revs really fast. Looking forward to snow this year.

S
Feb 21, 2009
new one

Put on new one and hold old one for spare, just never know m7 had one last 5k, one went 4k, don't bother with the ring unless you balance clutch again, revs better without!

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
If this is possibly the last year your going to ride this sled its a no brainier, run the new one. If your really worried about having a spare rebuild the old one. you can buy all the buttons, bushings and rollers from thunder products.

Premium Features