• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinion on kit to buy??

P
Jan 8, 2014
Canada
Hey everyone,

Looking on your opinions on which kit to buy for my 19 YZ450fx.

1) 2022 Yeti 129FR. Roughly 50 hrs. Comes with elka 3s and soft strut. Might have wheels and fuel tank not 100% on accessories. $4500.

2) 2023 Timbersled Riot 3 Pro. Around 15 hrs. Comes with TSS, Trio, and wheel kit. $6500

Where I ride is a mix of trail, fields, trees, and the scattered trip West to more mountainous areas. Snow conditions where I live can be hit or miss year to year. Trips West will usually be good snow.

Any help or advice would be great.
Spring here now so not in a rush to purchase anything.

Thanks

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Hey everyone,

Looking on your opinions on which kit to buy for my 19 YZ450fx.

1) 2022 Yeti 129FR. Roughly 50 hrs. Comes with elka 3s and soft strut. Might have wheels and fuel tank not 100% on accessories. $4500.

2) 2023 Timbersled Riot 3 Pro. Around 15 hrs. Comes with TSS, Trio, and wheel kit. $6500

Where I ride is a mix of trail, fields, trees, and the scattered trip West to more mountainous areas. Snow conditions where I live can be hit or miss year to year. Trips West will usually be good snow.

Any help or advice would be great.
Spring here now so not in a rush to purchase anything.

Thanks
Fwiw, I currenly ride the same 22 yeti on a ktm. It has been a great kit. Best kit I've owned. Had TS, Mototrax, yeti. Also had 450fx. The 2-3 gap was too big and I needed max momentum to carry 3rd. going from 2'' to 2.5 track helped. Makes me wonder about the 3'' and momentum boost it might provide vs the additional power needed to turn it. Given the great traction/momentum of the 22 yeti kit I bet my fx would have worked better than with the 2.5 motor trax kit I had on it. Unfortunately have no experience with the riot 3. I don't think you can go wrong with the yeti.

E
Dec 19, 2007
The riot will have much less ski pressure if you're riding in places with low snowpack you could wheelie over stuff and might not hit some of it at all and the ski will be much more friendly in crappy snow conditions. Plus if you smack a rock with the tunnel the riot won't break. I wouldn't even bother with the trio on a riot. They aren't necessary anymore. Maybe you can sell it to recoup some money. Or if you run it just use very low pressure.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I also run a 2022 Yeti, I have the Elka 5's on mine. The 2022 Yeti track can be a bit soft in heavier snow but absolutely slays it in powder. The 2023 Yeti has a slightly stiffer paddle. I've only ever ridden the 2024 Riot. For my style of riding it didn't blow me away the Yeti is a better choice for me. If you are ditch banging and jumping stuff the Riot might be a better choice. It's all going to come down to where and how you ride, those are two very different kits. FWIW the Yeti at 4500 is a pretty good deal, IMO better than the 6500 for a Riot.

M5

P
Dec 4, 2018
I had these 2 kits on the same bike (2017 Honda CRF450RX). Bought the Yeti new in 22, and Riot new the next year. Here's my take on it.

-The Yeti was a very stable kit.
Pros - Easier to climb with because of the stability. The front end of the bike didn't come up as much on the big climbs. It also went through powder very well.
Cons - Could not get the bike to transfer. I spend a lot of time adjusting and messing with setup and this kit would just stay flat. It was a deal breaker for me because getting the front end up and over holes and obstacles was not happening. With extreme shock settings it would help, but then the kit would trench in the powder.

Riot 3 is a very playful bike on the trails.
Pros - It felt the most like a motorcycle out of all the kits I have had on this bike (I have also had a CMX on it). It was the most fun boondocking and going in and out of holes, dips, creek crossings, ect....... It was the most stable on a groomed trail also.
Cons - It's a challenge to keep the front end down on the big climbs (even with the rear shock locked out). I'm still working on this with different springs and settings.

For me I like the playfulness of the Riot more than I dislike the big climb issues. When riding the Yeti I absolutely hated going through dips or holes knowing it would pound into the other side.......

Just my 2 cents,

Keith

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Regarding lifting of ski on yeti kit. I took on link out of stock chain and moved kit as far forward as it would go, I did this on my 16 yeti and 22 yeti. With additional front skid shock pressure and reduced rear I can lift ski at ease. On the 16 120'' I had to add the plastic piece in rear to limit lift as it wheelied too easy and was hard to climb with ski in air. 22 yeti is 129 so didn't need that anti couple piece. For best climbing I stiffen rear and reduce front shock pressure. If I want ski light I stiffen up front. Neither would lift ski till I shortened chain and moved kit forward to stop. Granted can't adjust shocks pressures on the fly..

Premium Features