• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some help!!

mountain man

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Craigmont, ID
I have a 2012 snopro i had running a speedwerx pipe and silencer for the last couple hundred miles. The powercommander map seemed to be a little rich on the bottom, in all the sled ran excellent. This weekend i started out the ride with a good warm up as always, the weather was a little warmer at the parking lot but not bad, started up the trail about 1.2 miles and the PTO side seized up. I got the sled home and tore it down today thinking i would see a lean burn down, but what i saw was a piston that looked great on the top and the sides and cylinder were all scuffed up. I believe this to be a lack of lubrication, am i right????
My question is there a way to check to make sure the oil pump is pumping or could it be possible there was an air bubble that causing it to run out of oil? But wouldn't both cylinders seize instead of one side?? There wasn't a broken ring or anything like that, it had to have run out of oil. Has anyone else had any problems like this. One more thing, i had the oil tank off laying in the belly pan on the exhaust side the other day while i was changing out tracks, could that have caused an air buble in the line??? I've been told by a few people to put in a BDX oil delete but i'm not real crazy about mixing fuel all the time.
Thanks for any info or addvise!!!!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
You didn't by chance overfill the oil reservoir?

My thoughts exactly. If you fill the oil tank to the brim and put the cap on. Then pull the oil line off the bottom of the tank, no oil flows out.

People should be just filling the oil tank till the sight window is full.

If you shine a flashlight in front of your primary clutch towards the front and bottom of the motor, you can see the oil line. You may have to pull the loom back but you can tell if no oil is in the line.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Oh oh. Going on a three day trip and added more than the sight window. That is some stupid shiiit. Gotta be the worst tank design ever

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
If your dealer is like mine, no. My favorite is we've never heard of that problem (half tank fuel issue), let me call TRF and get back to you. Two weeks later, after me reminding, dealer says TRF doesn't have a fix, try the idea you had in mind. Gee, thanks.

Customers shouldn't be educating dealers or TRF.

S

SnoDay

Jan 3, 2013
Minnesota
So the proper way to add oil is just till the sight window is covered which is at the bottom of the reservoir? Otherwise you have almost know idea how much oil is in the tank till its too full? They should have at least made the sight window go from top to bottom.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Oil tank design only works when you don't fill it up, that's logical...:face-icon-small-con

THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED ENGINEERS AT TRF STRIKE AGAIN!!!

Burning down a sled because you over filled the oil tank is such a crock of bullSH**. The retards at TRF should come down and do the work for you.

Delete.

$30 part, $.38 zerk, $.08 worth of grease, 2 hours of time, and it works.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
It's not that hard to not fill the tank plumb full. No one needs a gallon of oil to go ride for the day.

True... but there are days I don't burn a whole tank of fuel either, doesn't mean I don't top off in the AM.

having a tank you can't fill is just pretty darn stupid. (and carrying an extra few lbs of oil is a close second, but that's not the point :tongue:)

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Vent is in the cap so just thinking out loud. If oil level is to the brim there is a chance that ball check in cap is floated up sealing the vent off.

Premium Features