• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some advice

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Got a big decision to make coming up. I own an 09 300 xcw that I have set up pretty well for snow with a 2011 ST. I have a Rekluse in it also for summer. I want to eventually to have second dedicated snowbike and reserve my 300 for summer.

My original plan was to buy a 2015 SX kit and put it on my 300. TS says that they might be able to hook me up with a custom strut rod bar to make that work. My alternative is to get a UFO kit or sell my bike and buy a 2011+ 300 XC with linkage.

Unfortunately buying a new bike and a new kit this spring is not really in the cards as we are also buying a new house and my wife would castrate me if I bought a second bike right now. We are also talking about buying a side by side this summer so I have to be realistic.

However, some have suggested I should get a 450 sooner than a new kit and get the new kit later because I'll get more from a new bike than a new kit. But I'm sure if I get a new kit my 300 will push it fine until I can get a second bike next year.

Then do I buy an SX or an ST kit? SX seems like a good match for my 300 for fun but then I have the uncertainty associated with the fit kit. Also eliminates the potential for a turbo later. The ST mates up easier to my bike and then can do turbo later if I choose when I get a 4T.

So here are my decisions:
1. Buy a second bike or new kit first (second bike would be a 450 XCF or SXF likely but also considering a Berg 570).
2. If I go for the kit now, do I get an SX or ST (is the hassle of fitting up the SX and the elimination of future turbo option worth the 'extra' fun factor of an SX over an ST)? It's also $1000 more cost...

The obvious solution is get the 2015 ST and then get a 450 next year but I don't want to regret that decision and hoping those seasoned SX riders can shed some light. I'm just not sure if I'm too heavily weighting the fun factor value of the SX kit over an ST. Similarly, will I regret getting the SX as I know that even the 2015 with the powder track will not quite match the ST in the powder.

If it helps form an opinion I'm a third season dirt biker and snow biker and live in Alberta and ride SE BC mostly. I do like the jumps on the trails when it's not icy though.

What would YOU do if you were in my shoes?

It is possible I am over thinking this.

#firstworldproblems

Thanks, JC

Last edited:
R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Id keep your bike and maybe just throw a 2015 kit on it .the 300 is a great bike with lots of years of both dirt and snow fun.
I was looking for a new 4 stroke bike to boost, but after riding with a buddy on a new yz450 with boondocker turbo kit ive changed my mind and im going to keep riding the 300 and snow check a 2015 Lt.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I'm am finding it so hard to decide. If I had a newer xc with linkage it wouldn't be such a difficult decision but I'm a little worried I'm taking on a hassle trying to make it work on the PDS xcw. Ugh!

kevinhoglund

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stanwood, Wa
You need to find someone with a sx kit and ride it. I was flopping between ST & LT. I rode both and my mind was made up. LT. If allen and make a fit kit for the PDS KTM'S go that way with the SX. Everyone has there own style.:amen:

M
Jan 14, 2004
You'll have to do some research but I'm thinking I heard with some case mods you can make a 300 into a 380 by using the 380 cylinder, that'll turn any track you choose. Maybe do some snooping on Ktmtalk or Thumpertalk.

M5

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I looked into such a kit but its only been talked about, the company hasn't made it yet. At least as of 6 months ago when I last looked.

I don't think I want to go LT though. I really like the playfulness of the 300 and if I stick a big track on it I will likely lose much of that I suspect. Again, not 100% sure as I have never ridden an SX or an LT.

kevinhoglund

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stanwood, Wa
I looked into such a kit but its only been talked about, the company hasn't made it yet. At least as of 6 months ago when I last looked.

I don't think I want to go LT though. I really like the playfulness of the 300 and if I stick a big track on it I will likely lose much of that I suspect. Again, not 100% sure as I have never ridden an SX or an LT.

I liked the Lt over the ST. Lt was more stable for me. I thought the St was squirlly on the trail. I think if you ride trail fast and do big drops SX is the animal for you. I would try and find some one on the site and test ride the Sx kit to be 100% thats what you want. Im glad I did.

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
yes long track will be next ,geared 1 to 1 and at the top end of 3rd climbing with the track blowing off I could use more track. with me at 165 and my bubby at 250 with a turbo 450 st the bikes run very even!
that's y im staying with the 300 it just flat works,

Last edited:
T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
Awesome sauce! Xc or xcw?

I'm 178 btw. So probably LT would still work ok for me.

I've been told by a very reputable source though that the LT is not as maneuverable in the trees as its shorter brethren. Is that true or is it more a riding style thing? How does it soak up the whoops?

Last edited:
R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
xc .and all I do is mix gas ride it, leave it frozen out side kick it twice,ride lol
no oil changes every ride,no 80 +$ fuel bill every ride,so y change lol:face-icon-small-win.

my kit is an 12 with the 121,even just adding the new syle track st or lt would be a lot better.

Last edited:
R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
im sure a lot is rider to rider,some love it some don't ive never rode the Lt yet but the places we ride are deep most of the times, the 300 is so light and workable in the tight I don't see were it will be a problem,But that's just my 2 cents,we all have are likes and needs.but as long as your out in the woods l.i.v.i.n life haven fun that's all that matters..

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
I ride a 300xcw with a ST. I also have a husky 511 with a LT. I ride SE BC also.
The 300 is fun with the ST no doubt. It does turn easier in the tight stuff. I find it unforgiving when tractoring out of hole (when stuck) in comparison to the LT. The 300 can get the ST track spinning so quick it comes in handy a lot when you need to get on it real quick. The biggest thing for me is descending down steep hills the ST is real squirrely. The LT feels stable and planted. Im more comfortable dropping down steeps with the LT for sure. I also found the ST would washout in certain snow conditions on steep sidehills. I actually lost it once and it slid away 10 feet on me. The LT doesn't have this characteristic. If I go too steep it just flops over. I stand it back up and keep going. Also on the whooped trails the LT doesn't bother me. I didn't think the ST was any better however Im lucky that I don't ride a lot of whopped trails. Not like the corbin lol.
Id like to try the 300 with the LT but haven't.
If I was in your shoes Id buy a 300 xc (2011+) with linkage. and sell your xcw. Should come out only 1-2k deficit. If you go 4t later you'll have upgraded your summer ride at least. I do like the SX kit and have heard that some have put a cut down 137LT on them. Im not a fan of the 10Inch wide track though.
My next rig will be a 450 KTM with a LT.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
That's a good point you raise, because I do need to think about what my next (dedicated) bike will be - likely a 450 XCF.

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
From Facebook:

The other disadvantage of an SX is that if I get a second 4T bike next winter then the option of a turbo is also gone.

But then thinking ahead to my (bigger) future bike - perhaps I should be leaning towards the LT.

Jon made a good point earlier about weight. My current bike is a 300 (220 lbs). That effectively makes me a 150 lb rider (I'm 175-180) compared to the same kit on a 250 lb 450 bike. So perhaps when guys are feeling the need for a LT, it could have something to do with the heavy rider and heavy bike combo. Whereas on my 300 I might feel the same float with an ST. It all comes down to pounds per square inch but I'm too lazy to do the math. I don't doubt for a minute though that an LT, all else being equal, will make a better climbing machine.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I weigh exactly the same as you do and I'm on a 450 punched out to a 520. I made the switch from ST last season to LT this season. Part of it is my motor is now stronger but also IMO the LT doesn't work the bike any harder and it may even be easier on it. If you are after just weight then your ST/300 combo will be pretty hard to better. For me in the deep which is really all I care about the LT out performs the ST it's like going from a 154 to a 163 on a sled, it works better and you don't really feel the added length. You will notice a difference on the trail it'll push more. So without making this an LT vs ST thread I think the 300 would turn the LT no sweat. You are welcome to throw a leg over my LT and I wouldn't mind trying your ST/300.

M5

T

thejean

Jan 17, 2013
I weigh exactly the same as you do and I'm on a 450 punched out to a 520. I made the switch from ST last season to LT this season. Part of it is my motor is now stronger but also IMO the LT doesn't work the bike any harder and it may even be easier on it. If you are after just weight then your ST/300 combo will be pretty hard to better. For me in the deep which is really all I care about the LT out performs the ST it's like going from a 154 to a 163 on a sled, it works better and you don't really feel the added length. You will notice a difference on the trail it'll push more. So without making this an LT vs ST thread I think the 300 would turn the LT no sweat. You are welcome to throw a leg over my LT and I wouldn't mind trying your ST/300.

M5

Might take you up on that. Where do you ride?

Premium Features