• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with disc brake removal!

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Hey guys I'm swapping out my stock cobra track and putting a power claw in, I got all the gears out of the DD, but I have no idea how to take the disc break off so I can get the shaft out! From what I've read I need a special socket? Is there anyway to get it off without that? I'm going back tomorow morning to finish the job, I'm changing all the bearings in the DD as well as the idler wheel bearings. My machine has 2300 miles on it, and I never changed the oil in the DD, yet the bearings all seem perfectly fine? They spin fine and everything but maybe internally are worn out. But if any one can help me out that would be great! :)

Machine is a 2010 crossfire 800

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
blunt chisel and hammer takes that nut off...replace the bearings in the caliper housing while your at it...

you can run into a few stubborn problems once ya start...lots of threads on remedies and suggestions..

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
If you a piece of brass or aluminium use that to pound that 3 sided wing nut off. DO NOT USE a chisel as it will marr it up and mess with your speedo sensor. It will take u a bit to remove it as it is peaned to the small key way in the shaft.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Okay, we'll its the nut that's holding me up. I tried hammering on it I put a chunck of plastic between the nut and hammer and was hitting it hard enough and no movement, I also tried heating the nut up a bit and still nothing. The nut seems soft like brass? Is that the right way to get it off?

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
If you a piece of brass or aluminium use that to pound that 3 sided wing nut off. DO NOT USE a chisel as it will marr it up and mess with your speedo sensor. It will take u a bit to remove it as it is peaned to the small key way in the shaft.

I'm pretty sure it's 4 sided?

garciava

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
western colorado
from the service manual

Loosen the 16 mm cap screw (from the brake disc side of the inner driveshaft) securing the driveshaft to the gear case.

the bolt is inside of the track track shaft. you need a very long extention to get to it

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
from the service manual

Loosen the 16 mm cap screw (from the brake disc side of the inner driveshaft) securing the driveshaft to the gear case.

the bolt is inside of the track track shaft. you need a very long extention to get to it

I already got that bolt out. It's the nut holding the disc brake on. I'll try hammering on it tomorow, I'm sure a little heat wouldn't hurt? I'm pretty sure I have that bearing to replace it, the on in the brake housing.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you don;t need heat for that nut...just a good solid whack on the ear..i found enough clearance between the nut and sensor that a little marring was a non issue..but if ya can avoid it well why not eh..

you need two bearings in that caliper..and they have to be removed with a flush straight application of force...remove the snap ring between the two...

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
you don;t need heat for that nut...just a good solid whack on the ear..i found enough clearance between the nut and sensor that a little marring was a non issue..but if ya can avoid it well why not eh..

you need two bearings in that caliper..and they have to be removed with a flush straight application of force...remove the snap ring between the two...

Okay I'll have to look in my bag of parts tomorow lol I'm pretty sure I ordered all the bearings and seals in the DD.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Okay I'll have to look in my bag of parts tomorow lol I'm pretty sure I ordered all the bearings and seals in the DD.

but its the brake caliper bearings..which are not in a diamond drive kit..ps...they are cheaper from bdx then cat and cheaper yet from a industrial brg supply place..

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
No I know, but I was there when they where selecting the bearings and I'm pretty sure I have them. I'll check after and let you guys know.

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
I have modified a four wheel drive wheel bearing tool to remove that nut. Try napa for the wheel bearing tool and then you have to remove half of the tabs for it to work. I have ruined this nut tring to remove it with a chisel.There also is a spot on the nut where you lock it on, if you take a small chisel and lift this locked area a little it will not bugger up the threads when removing

Last edited:
C

crossfire879

Oct 21, 2010
Alberta, Canada
If all you are worried about is getting yhe new track on the just remove the 5 nuts that hold the caliper housing to the bulkhead. Pull the caliper hoisin out of the way and just let the drive shaft and drivers hang there. You can weasel the track on and off.

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
If you aren't planning on replacing the bearings then you don't need to get the nut off. Just take the nuts off the inside of the tunnel that hold the brake caliper. Tip the track shaft down and slide the track out.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

Jan 28, 2010
Maple Grove,MN
It's much easier to get the nut off to do a track replacement. IMHO. Just lock the brake and get a small hand sledge and a brass punch. Once you break past the indent it will come right off. I am an AC mechanic and I have never had to use heat to get one off.

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
Chisel and a dead blow should get it off no problem. If you can't do it there is a socket: http://www.bd-xtreme.com/bdxtrackshaftnutsocket07-up.aspx

Hard part for me was just getting the trackshaft out of the bearings in the caliper housing. Took pb blaster and some convincing with a bfh.

Bearings are 6909 2rs, any manufacturer works. I got my skf for $14ea from a bearing supply house. Beats the hell out of cat or bdx, quality brand for half price.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
The threads are staked so it is tough to get off and may ruin the threads on the nut many just buy a new one to put back on

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
It's much easier to get the nut off to do a track replacement. IMHO. Just lock the brake and get a small hand sledge and a brass punch. Once you break past the indent it will come right off. I am an AC mechanic and I have never had to use heat to get one off.

Has the track shaft just slipped out the brake side bearings on every sled you have done this on? All I know from experience is that the track shaft can seize inside the bearing race and make it a ton more work than would otherwise be necessary. Sometimes the nut needs to be replaced and if the shaft is seized you can easily add a few hours to your project.

Premium Features