• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with 02 mountain max purchase

J
Dec 26, 2010
Hey guys, I want to get into mountain sleds(always been a trail guy) and found this 02 mountain max.

2002 Yamaha Mountain Max 700 triple for sale. its completely stock, never abused and is in excellent condition, No cracks rips etc.. you would be hard pressed to find one in better shape. It has a 141x2 track on it and goes great on trail and in the powder. It has 1936 original miles and comes with a brand new yamaha custom cover. $2500 firm

I dont want to drop alot on a new mountain sled as I would like to try it out first before dropping alot of coin on one. Will this be a good first sled?? Any thing I should look for ?? Does the price sound good?? the sled looks in great shape for the year.

Thanks for your help

H

hurricane2

Nov 27, 2007
Sounds like a good deal. $2500 is about 250-500 low if the sled really has no dings whatsoever. If that 141 track is the stock Yokahama figure on taking some of the money you saved on the price of the sled and replacing it, the the lugs crack and come off the track on every one of those. The MM will be a great gas and go sled, bulletproof. They are really neutral handling too, i.e.-they inspire confidence to try new things, quite the opposite of something like a Nytro or XP.

A

attak06

Dec 23, 2007
st. cloud mn
02 mm

if you like it you have a very good starting point with lots of potential. a set of pipes brings them to life very nicely.

J
Dec 26, 2010
I checked it out and it was far from the MINT cond he advertised and he was firm at 2500.... I will keep looking for something. Any other suggestions of good reliable sleds . I dont mind spending a bit more for something newer as well. Just want something that has a good reputation

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
the mountain max's are great reliable sleds. stay away from any polaris rmk's around those years unless you want to be replacing the crankshaft every year.

J
Dec 26, 2010
Ok guys so I found a 2004 sx viper deep snow special. It has 800 miles on it and is in showroom cond besides 1/4 of one lug was torn by the trailer. Only thing is he wants 3800 for it. Any problems with this year ?? If I can work him down on the price I think I may pick it up

What do you guys think??

J
Dec 26, 2010
So I picked up the 04 viper mountain. This thing could be on the showroom floor it's so clean. 800 miles on it. Totally stock. Got it for $3300 I picked up a set of ice scratchers for it as I have to ride hardpack for a while sometimes to get to the deep stuff. Got some Simmons gen 1's for it. What else would you guys recommend. I found a set of slp pipes that is tempting. I'm gonna run it the way it is for a bit though.

I'd like to throw a temp gauge on. What is the best way to do this. Is there a kit anyone sells??

H

hurricane2

Nov 27, 2007
KOSO sells temp gauges that just use a spice in a hose for the temp sensor. On your SXV it would go in the hose from the head to the thermostat housing.

A

attak06

Dec 23, 2007
st. cloud mn
mountain max

if you dont find one, i have a 99 that has an elkholm tunnel and a ton of other mods i might have to sell in the next few months.

Premium Features