• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need help planning our trip!!!!please help!

B
Jan 2, 2013
My friend and I are from minnesota and we are planning a trip to colarado for the last week of march! If anyone has some really awesome places for us to go I would greatly apperciate it!!!! We like to go off huge jumps have lots of fun we are 18 and 21, so we have lots of energy for those extreme sites, also we both. Have modded 03 revs. If I could get some good websites to look at, areas, info on how I should prep my sled before we head out there wpuld be amazing!! Id like to thank who ever replys in advance :D

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Check out www.snowmobilecolo.com Big jumps will depend on the snow pack and avy danger--see above. Late March will typically have "hero" snow so your sleds will be good to go as your Skidoos will adjust to altitude (MXZ-maybe not?)--too be safe bring leaner main jets with you--- but your clutching will need help. We ran these sleds with empty pins on clicker 4. Not sure if the springs need to be changed out--hopefully other will know.

After re-reading this I noticed MXZ in your profile--have no clue about sled set-up as this is Summit country. Give Vickery Motorsports a call--303-755-4387

BCB

Last edited:
M

m8braaaap

Banned
Dec 3, 2012
mancos colorado
Check out www.snowmobilecolo.com Big jumps will depend on the snow pack and avy danger--see above. Late March will typically have "hero" snow so your sleds will be good to go as your Skidoos will adjust to altitude (MXZ-maybe not?)--too be safe bring leaner main jets with you--- but your clutching will need help. We ran these sleds with empty pins on clicker 4. Not sure if the springs need to be changed out--hopefully other will know.

After re-reading this I noticed MXZ in your profile--have no clue about sled set-up as this is Summit country. Give Vickery Motorsports a call--303-755-4387

BCB
agreed.just be avy aware!!!!!!!

M

MarleneeSteven

Aug 17, 2009
Idaho Falls, ID
www.mountainsnowadventures.com
It seems like most of the riding in Colorado is 9-12, so you'll want to clutch and jet for those elevations.

x2 on the www.snowmobilecolo.com. They have the trails listed. Another good option is the Polaris Trail App for your smart phone. Rabbit Ears is one of the more popular areas in the state, and has a nice trail system that can get you to a lot of good terrain, if you're willing to get a few miles from the trails.

Most of the places to ride in colorado have decent cell-reception. I'd carry it, in addition to your other safety gear, just in case.

Also, before you go, each day, I'd check the Colorado Avalanche Information Center CAIC

Have a good time and be safe!

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
If you have the time flexibility, just keep watching the conditions and pick from that. If you decide on Rabbit Ears, its cheaper to stay in Kremmling (Allington Inn is newest, I hear good things about it and sledders). Steamboat or Kremmling, you will be trailering a ways. Kremmling has some flexibility-- Rabbit Ears, Grand Lake, Winter Park, and Spring Creek and whatever else is left in Summit County are between thirty and sixty minutes away.

Given the current snow conditions, keep an eye on southern Colorado locations. Longer drive but great country. I do think the avy situation is higher in a lot of that country but it SoCO has had good snow years.

The Grand Mesa can be good. I think some people find some air time in some places (I don't even look and wouldn't know what to look for). Three on-mountain lodges-- Thunder Mountain, Grand Mesa and Alexander; other accomodations at Cedaredge on the south side, twenty minutes to the parking.

Again, understand avalanche situations and be ready!

P
Jan 25, 2013
My friend and I went out to Colorado over xmas/newyears and had some great riding. We rode Rabbit Ears and there was a lot of big open areas as well as tree riding. We stayed close to the trail and just hit good spots as we came across them. With all the big open areas it would be easy to get turned around. I brought a gps and put a waypoint in where the truck and trailer was. Gear to bring: shovel, beacon, probe, saw, compass, Gatorade, protein bars. This was my 1<SUP>st</SUP> time out there and I could really feel the effects of the high elevation. I am 25 and in really good shape, but still found myself out of breath a bunch of times so Gatorade and protein bars are great to have a long to give you a little extra energy. I would also recommend taking an avalanche course. Mike Duffy from Avalanche 1 puts on a great course and he is from Colorado so he gave us a lot of good info about places out there and even rode with us one day. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

H

HOTRODREDNECK

Oct 28, 2008
COLORADO
driving that far i would have a plan with several different options and chase the snow. this weekend is a perfect example of what happens here in colorado, wolf creek is expecting 6-16", grand mesa is expected to get 5-10", and rabbit ears isn't expecting much of anything. be avy ready and enjoy the heck out of it.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Chase the snow

I hope you took the avy warning serious. With the weak snowpack we have in the state, spring can bring heavy snow + weak snowpack = big avy's

Coming this far west, I wouldnt rule out WY or UT. WY is doing much better for snow.

I would love to see you come spend your hard earned money in my state, but the snow is the snow

If you decide on staying in Kremmling check out www.muddycreekcabins.com

We just came in from Pennsylvania for a few days and stayed at Muddy Creek. They offer a few different cabin options for sleeping arrangements and are very clean and comfortable. The are offering a stay 2 nights get third free also. Its located between Grand Lake and Rabbit Ears and it was easy to find both from Kremmling. We enjoyed our trip so much and booked to come back out the second weekend in March!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
My friend and I are from minnesota and we are planning a trip to colarado for the last week of march! If anyone has some really awesome places for us to go I would greatly apperciate it!!!! We like to go off huge jumps have lots of fun we are 18 and 21, so we have lots of energy for those extreme sites, also we both. Have modded 03 revs. If I could get some good websites to look at, areas, info on how I should prep my sled before we head out there wpuld be amazing!! Id like to thank who ever replys in advance :D
Modded sleds meaning what?

Premium Features